Epic Games Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Epic Games Interview Questions

Interviews at Epic Games

3.2

Level Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Epic Games.

Interview

Around 30 min, the lead designer asked about the games I made and how do I solve problems. He is very chill and friendly, mixed with common topics and technical questions

Senior Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC (US)

Interview

Two weeks after applying through Epic's site a recruiter reaches out and we have a phone screen. That goes well so we schedule a phone interview with the hiring manager for the next week. The manager calls 10 minutes after our scheduled time, doesn't apologize or explain why he's late, and then tells me that he has another meeting in 20 minutes so we'll need to make this quick. He also told me he hadn't looked at my resume yet. Ten minutes in he asked if I had ever worked on Unreal Engine before and when I said no I could tell that he immediately tuned me out even though I followed up my no by explaining that I had plenty of experience relevant to the job and was eager to learn. With five minutes left he let me ask one question then said he needed to grab a coffee before his meeting and ended the call early. A few weeks later I got a generic rejection email. I won't be applying here again.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever worked on Unreal Engine?   1 Answer

Community Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Games in November 2019.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter after applying online. This was followed by a phone screen with the recruiter, which was honestly the best part of my experience! Max was awesome. The interview felt like a conversation, and he was very engaging, knowledgeable, and seemed genuinely interested in my answers. Really good representation of the brand. At the end of the call, he scheduled an interview with the hiring manager, and later let me know that he had added another hiring manager that was looking for a Community Coordinator, too. Unfortunately I had to let him know that I didn't have a ton of experience with the other product (which is why I didn't apply for that role), but that I'd be happy to interview with them.

The second interview was okay, I was asked a lot of questions about myself and my experience with community. I enjoyed talking to both hiring managers, but was pretty peeved that they were both on their phones pretty consistently throughout the entire interview. When one manager asked a question, the other was doing something on his phone. I put a lot of effort into preparing for the interview, and it didn't feel very respectful. I felt kind of guilty for asking as many questions as I did at the end of the interview, because it was pretty evident that they felt like they had more important things to be tending to.

I then moved on to a third interview with a coordinator and another person I'd be working with, but for the Community role with the team I hadn't applied for. This interview was so rough. I felt like I was being drilled. I don't think either of them smiled. It was really obvious that the coordinator hadn't received any interview training prior to the interview. I was asked a lot of questions incredibly specific to the product itself (that I had been transparent about not having a lot of experience in), and they seemed disappointed.

Ultimately I was told that I wasn't a good fit for the team, but that I'd be considered for the team that I had originally applied for. At this point I decided to withdraw my application, because I didn't get a great impression and given the impression, couldn't see myself moving across the country and working 50-55 hours/week with them.

I'm still a huge fan of Epic and the fact that they consistently put their community at the forefront. Regardless of how my interview went, I have a ton of respect for the individuals that I interviewed with and think that they're doing amazing work!

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Epic Games.

Interview

Applied via the careers website, was contacted by an internal recruiter. He was very pleasant to speak with and I was moved onto the next step. I met with the hiring manager and another team mate, which went fine. I then spoke with a producer. He was late to the interview and the interview promptly ended at the scheduled time. I was able to follow-up with questions via email and I was provided answers. After not hearing anything for a bit, I reached out to the recruiter and was told they selected other candidates to move forward with. After asking for feedback, I was told they were looking for someone with a passion and experience in the gaming industry. This was rather baffling as I was up-front from the first interview and all subsequent interviews that I do not spend hours playing video games and if I'm going to play any game, it would be a board game. In summary- if you do not LOVE videos games, don't bother applying. If this feedback was accurate, I feel my time was wasted since I never lead anyone to believe that I eat, live, and breathe video games.

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Epic Games (Cary, NC (US)).

Interview

Took several months. Had an initial phone screen, was initially not considered for the role. Received an email several months later to setup another phone screen, followed by a video interview, and afterwards an in-person interview on-site at Epic.

Everyone was friendly and welcoming. Met with a wide variety of departments and a mixture of in-person interviews and interviews with remote employees / teams via Google Hangouts in the office.

Ultimately was not offered a position due to lack of knowledge in a very specific subject matter for a product at the studio, but continue to have a great relationship with the recruiter and others I met during my interviews there. Would apply again if circumstances change or I a new position that appeals to me opens up.

They studio is VERY welcoming and accommodating and setting up travel for the on-site interview was painless. Was picked up by the recruiter at the hotel, and a wonderful (but short) drive to the studio, many casual conversations to just get to know people, and so forth.

Interview Questions

• How would you build a community around this product?   Answer Question
    • Do you have any experience building communities from the ground up?   Answer Question
    • What is your experience with [PRODUCT]?   Answer Question
    • How would you position [PRODUCT] differently than [COMPETITIVE PRODUCT]?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Huge take home assignment that's posted all over the web. Questions included are not very original or interesting. Recruiters expect candidates to spend 5-7 hours on this up front.

After submitting your answers if your answers are deemed good enough you make it to a phone screen. If you make it through the phone screen discussing your answers you get to go to Seattle.

If your answers are not deemed good enough you get short circuited: you receive a polite e-mail telling you they won't be moving forward. Do not expect any feedback as they will not provide any.

Interview Questions

• Use your favorite search engine to look up the questionnare   Answer Question

Producer Interview

Interview

Applied online and about a week later got an email to setup a phone interview. The phone interview was really quick and what the position intels . Second interview was a Skype interview with three leads and pretty straight forward questions. Nothing asked out of the ordinary. It took about a month after that interview to hear back that they went with another candidate.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Games.

Interview

Overall the process has taken about three weeks from the initial application to the second interview. Second interview was quite intense, lasted an hour and a half and I was interviewed by three separate groups of people.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Games (Cary, NC (US)).

Interview

The entire process took about 1 month and was quite in depth. I first applied online, went through an online technical test, two phone interviews and then I flew to the onsite (Cary, NC) for a full day. The company took care of all travel expenses.

The onsite consisted of a series of 45m interviews with different teams in the studio, touching on a little bit of everything. You have to be comfortable with your resume and past experiences, and have strong technical foundations. Every employees that I interacted with in the process was smart, friendly and very passionate about their product.

The recruiters that I've worked with were all super responsive, transparent and supportive.

User Experience Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Epic Games (Cary, NC (US)) in April 2019.

Interview

Very laid back manager; first question was to tell him about myself and why I was interested in UX. Asked about my previous research, and asked what I thought about the UX in Fortnite.

Interview Questions

• What aspects of the game Fortnite do you think are good UX and which are bad UX   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.