Illumina Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Illumina Interview Questions

Interviews at Illumina

Business Analyst Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Illumina.

Interview

Tedious Interview Process. Everyone in the team interviews the potential candidate. The junior team members do not have any idea what they are asking but still they are part of the interview panel. I wish the process would have been better

Senior Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Illumina.

Interview

After an initial screening call with a member of the talent acquisition team, I had a half hour call with the hiring manager. Feedback was positive and I then moved on to five forty-five minute calls with various members of the team. Throughout this process, communication regarding next steps was abysmal. After emailing the recruiter several times to ask about my status, I heard that feedback from my interviews had been good and a decision would be made within a few days. After two weeks of not hearing back, I finally received a phone call asking if I would be able to relocate at my own expense by January (the hiring manager had said that relocation wasn't necessary and if I chose to do so it could be within a year of my first date back in the office-- likely January 2021). After agreeing to this and being told I would hear back within two days, I never heard back again despite my reaching out several times. That was over a month ago.

Ultimately, I am disappointed to have wasted many hours on this company (there were seven total interviews!) without receiving an answer either way. This company does excellent work and I was excited about the prospect of working for such a great cause, but it seems like I dodged a bullet here. If this is how the company treats its candidates, it doesn't bode well for how it treats its employees.

Interview Questions

• How have you worked with senior stakeholders on complex communications initiatives?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Illumina.

Interview

Very good. Everyone was friendly and asked quality questions. Highly recommend. Just be yourself and answer questions knowing you are selling yourself. Always be yourself. Some common questions: strengths and weaknesses.

Software Engineer-I Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Illumina.

Interview

HireVue, HR Call, Staff Engineer Call, and another HR call before onsite. Illumina lowballs on salary offered, 75k initially. When I asked for at least 100k they stopped the onsite interview. I'd avoid working with them in the future. If you're fine with being undervalued sounds like a great place.

Interview Questions

• General Leetcode questions for hirevue. For the staff engineer call its more of a background match/architecture discussion.   Answer Question

Software Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Illumina in July 2020.

Interview

I applied via my university's job board. About two weeks later they contacted me and set up a recorded interview with 5 questions via HireVue. I was then selected for a phone interview that lasted about 10-15 minutes.

Interview Questions

• How would you count the grains of sand on all of California's beaches?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Illumina in June 2020.

Interview

Hirevue video recording interview sent directly.Not even a pre HR call to know about you or to let you know about the process.Hirevue video recording questions was odd with no human interaction with some technical and general questions.6 weeks later now no feedback at all from this organization.I would not consider this organization in future.

Research Associate I Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Illumina.

Interview

Applied on the Illumina careers website (they use the myworkdays website, like Pfizer and other employers) , about two weeks later, was notified by email that I received a preliminary one-sided video interview through Hirevue. Position cancelled due to COVID.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to troubleshoot something on the bench.   Answer Question

Packaging Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Illumina (San Diego, CA (US)) in April 2020.

Interview

Was sent an automated email to record video answers to predetermined questions. Had never done that before and considered not doing it as I consider it so impersonal. Did it anyway and was not selected. I've had much better personal interactions with much larger and faster growing companies. Company should make initial interactions much more personal. At least send an actual email (not an automated one from Workday) or make a phone call.

Deep Learning Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Illumina (Foster City, CA (US)) in April 2020.

Interview

I applied online first and then had to speak on the phone with the hiring manager about 30 minutes. This was a non-technical interview in which he talked about their work and ask me some non-technical questions such as why I wanted to transition industry. The second round was a 30-min phone call with a senior member and he asked about my research and asked a simple algorithmic problem. Due to COVID-19 they conducted the final rounds online. First there was a 1 hour presentation about my research and then 5 1 on 1 coding challenges. I can't disclose the details of the questions but you'd need to be very comfortable with coding in Python and it's data science ecosystem.

Overall, I thought they had put a lot of thought into designing the questions but the interview was heavy on python libraries. Besides the 1 on 1 with the team leader, where he asked a very interesting question that we spent about 90 minutes solving, other interviews didn't really test my intelligence to be honest.

At the end, after 3 weeks I got a rejection letter saying that it was a hard decision because I did well in interviews but they picked someone else.

Interview Questions

• I can't share interview questions. Mostly Python coding.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Interview

After a series of 4 phone calls I was invited onsite. 12 hours before the onsite meeting they told me they were canceling the interview because the team would be working from home moving forward. I asked if it could be done virtually instead of rescheduling and they obliged, getting back to me at 10 pm the night before the 8:30 am interviews.

It was 4 hours of one on one interviews where each person asked the same questions. It should have been simplified to a panel. One of the Managers barely looked at the camera and was distracted the whole time while talking with me.

After that were 2 presentations: passion project and mock sales call

Everything went well until the mock sales call. I understood the prompt and did extensive research on the company and products beforehand. After 15 minutes or so they started asking questions that I'm not sure a candidate would know outside of taking their training program. It felt like they were trying to embarrass me. I self selected out and told them it wasn't a good fit.

My advice would be don't advertise for a sales rep if what you really want is a scientist.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.