Network Rail Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Network Rail Interview Questions

Updated 15 Apr 2019

Sort:

Graduate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

An online application followed by a games based numeracy test. The numeracy test is based on sequences and spotting patterns, so the only prerequisite is basic secondary school maths.

A video interview followed and then an assessment centre in Milton Keynes.

Assessment centre is comprised of two parts. A half day interview which included;

1. Interview
    2. Group activity

In the interview, a mixture of questions are asked. Some questions are competency based and others are motivation based

Examples of questions that I were asked

1. Why do you want to work for Network rail
    2. What could you bring to network rail
    3. Describe a time you led a group effectively (competency based)
    4. Describe a time you had to make a difficult decision (competency based)

For the mechanical engineering stream some technical questions were asked. No prior knowledge is needed, what they're looking for is your thought process

1. A 20ft and a 40ft container are placed on a carriage.

Performance Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail.

Interview

After a long wait I was called for an interview which took an hour. Interview included an analysis test. I was put on a reserve list which no one understands what it means within NR.

Interview Questions

• What is your understanding of Network Rail’s safety vision?   1 Answer

Assistant Structural Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Network Rail (Birmingham, England (UK)).

Interview

Face to face interview.

Very good experience, two assessors - first half of interview was questioning and second half was a technical task

Questions were general interview questions

Technical task was in two parts:
    1) assessing a bridge strike - what to do next etc.

2) assessing a report of an over bridge and describing the major defects and how to rectify them

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you went against company protocol   Answer Question

Operational Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (Milton Keynes, England (UK)) in August 2014.

Interview

Apply on-line and go through a multiple choice questionnaire. This is to make sure you live within 75 minutes of the office. The questions relating to train services are covered in the information they ask you to read before applying. Followed by two on-line tests - verbal reasoning and a "checking" test. The interview was carried out by two people. It was a competence based interview where they ask for examples ranging from what you did when joining a new team to challenging a customer.

Interview Questions

• Asked about a time it was essential I followed clear procedures or rules. This question was about adhering to the Train Planning Rules.   1 Answer

Operational Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Network Rail (Milton Keynes, England (UK)) in January 2018.

Interview

All happened in 1 day. Split into three sections: 1) An independent test based on basic planning as well as being able to analyse a distance-time graph. 2) A formal interview 3) A group exercise based on a planned closure of a line.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Network Rail (Milton Keynes, England (UK)).

Interview

Online application followed by an online skills test which tested for verbal reasoning and maths skills. After this came a 1:1 interview.

Interview Questions

• I was mostly asked questions about what I knew about the company. There seemed to be limited focus on me and my past experience.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Network Rail in December 2009.

Interview

Know your background and read your CV. The decision is political and if you are kept waiting for weeks and months, wait!

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Network Rail   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Network Rail.

Interview

The assessment centre was in fact an interview and consisted of situational questions and an opportunity to meet current employees. First stage was online applications, then tests, followed by a video interview, and finally the assessment centre.`

Interview Questions

• Many situational questions regading the working environment   Answer Question

Internal Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Network Rail (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)) in July 2016.

Interview

First phone contact with the internal recruiter was excellent, but prior to this, and here's the kicker... it was nearly eight weeks from the initial application/submission, with no communication at all.

Pre interview the internal recruiter was again very helpful, and the interview itself was a very pleasant affair; well structured and I left with an overall, positive feeling for the people and the organisation.

Post interview I heard absolutely nothing for two weeks, when I finally received my happy note, 'no reply' email, stating 'unsuccessful'.

Simply put, that's just not good enough folks. After patience, effort, careful preparation and expense on my part (including rail fares) - thanks a lot, uff. So disappointing, I expected more after speaking with the HR recruitment officer, and meeting with the two interviewers, who were fantastic, I feel that their organisation (process) really let all of us down.

There is much room for improvement along the candidate selection/process track here. Schedule some work, we don't mind waiting for improvements.

Interview Questions

• What do you believe is the most important aspect of working at Network Rail?

A:Many people at Network Rail work in an extremely dangerous environment, and customer safety is paramount - so people safety is everything!   1 Answer

Internal Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (Milton Keynes, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

From the initial application closing date, it was nearly 6 weeks before I was invited to interview. Network Rail were initially helpful, re-scheduling my appointment to a later time in the day. However, contact went dead after that. I got no response to my questions I emailed and enquired about and I had to contact them a second time to answer my questions (practical ones I might add, I wanted to know if parking was available at their site in Milton Keynes). The interview itself was fine, some technical questions and some situational questions. I was then told that there would be a second round of interviews, with someone higher than the two people interviewing me. It would have been nice to have known this from the start. Unfortunately, a week passed where I heard absolutely nothing back so I again contacted Network Rail and they then confirmed that I was unsuccessful. I am sure if I had not contacted them, I would have heard nothing. This is not acceptable from a company of this size. Candidates take time out of their working day, expense on travel and then hear nothing. It is simply poor manners and indicates a lack of customer service. I have asked for interview feedback but I am extremely dubious I will receive any.

Interview Questions

• How important do you think safety is to Network Rail and what do you know about our safety vision?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.