Yelp Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated 21 Jun 2022

To filter interviews, or .
Found 378 of over 2.8K interviews

Recruiter8%
2.9
HardAverageEasy

Yelp

Application

I interviewed at Yelp

Interview

Good people during interview but recruiter was very overwhelmed/unprofessional, leading to long communication times. 4 stages of interview. Technical screening, first pair programming, onsite (3 virtual meetings), then final with prospective manager.

Interview Questions
  • Simple programming question for pair programming, system design, examples of ways you have demonstrated leadership in the past
    Answer Question
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Yelp

Application

I interviewed at Yelp

Interview

First, they have one technical interview on the phone. Then four more interviews. One is a technical interview, the others are behavioural. They book all of these on the same day.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

What people are saying about Yelp

Join the conversation on

Referral and Opportunities

2m

a

Managing Director

I have been asked this question again and again so posting it here. A mega thread for a list of international companies hiring directly from India. These companies support VISA & relocation as well - LONDON - Google, Amazon, Apple, Meta, Bloomberg, Citadel, Spotify, SnapChat, Bytedance, Yelp, Vercel, Bulb, Mobiquity, Expensify, Free Now, Marks & Spencer, EF Education First, Contentful, Canva, Intercom, Curve, The Lego group, Plaid, Transferwise, Palantir Technologies, Algolia, Revolut, PayFit

19 Comments

Tech India

130.3K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/tech-india/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.in&utm_campaign=Interviews&utm_content=Employer-content-integrated-Interviews&utm_term=Yelp~43314
Join the conversation on

Yelp

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp in Nov 2021

Interview

The process was very pleasant and human. Recruiters made sure I was updated on every step. It started with a hackerrank online coding, followed by another pairing coding session. I finally had the on-site interviews with 4 interviews (behavioral and coding).

Interview Questions
6 people found this interview helpful

Yelp

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Yelp in Sep 2021

Interview

Recruiter call Phone screen - algorithm problem leetcode easy Onsite - 1 algorithm lc easy/medium 1 design ( hard ) 2 personal ones which are super fun and laid back Didnt hear back for almost 2 weeks, had to ping recruiter but got the good news and joined last winter.

Interview Questions
  • Hashmap and basic python syntax, system design round has a lot of focus on data storage and transfer.
1 person found this interview helpful

Yelp

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yelp

Interview

I applied online and then given straight away a test on hackerrank. After passing that I was given another test on hackerrank. I passed this again with 300/300 and then I was invited to a chat with HR. We scheduled a code interview with a senior software engineer. I implemented the requirements and wrote a working code and also discussed improvements to the code I finally asked questions about company culture. After 1 day I got an email from HR saying I had been rejected with no further feedback

Interview Questions
  • What is the best data structure to implement this?
3 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (London, England) in Aug 2021

Interview

Do not waste your time interviewing with this non transparent company. I applied on the website. Got a coding test. Based on the positive feedback a recruiter phone screen, round was done. Since I am an international candidate, I specifically asked about what happens if role gets filled before my visa gets approved. Recruiter said dont worry, hiring is centralized and there are lot of openings. After recruiter phone screen, Managerial round (behavioral), followed by onsite. Onsite consisted of 4 rounds. Each round before onsite was elimination round. I was able to solve and run all the questions as well as follow ups in the coding round. Design round also went very well. Interviewer was satisfied by my design. Behavioural round also went fine. After two weeks I got mail from recruiter citing 'Hiring Managers did not find my profile a fit for the role.' WTF, If my profile isnt a good match, why did the recruiter proceed with onsite after Managerial round. This is literally hypocrisy. I am never going to interview with this company in future neither recommend anyone to waste their time.

Interview Questions
  • Leetcode Easy Questions, follow ups would be LC medium at max. Expectation is to run code in hackerrank.
4 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (London, England) in Aug 2021

Interview

Didn't get hired, but very good interview process. It was a smooth experience and the person assigned to help throughout the process was very knowledgeable. It included 3 stages. First stage was a test submitted online through a link. Second stage was a video interview. Last stage was a few hours worth of different types of interview. it included system design and also algorithm interview. Finally, it was a behavioral interview.

Interview Questions
  • If you had to make one improvement to yelp, what would it be?
2 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I interviewed at Yelp (London, England)

Interview

Started with a at home coding challenge, then an online coding challenge with one of the engineers. Then this was followed by the in person interview that consisted of 2 behavioral interviews, a system design interview, and a data structure/algorithm interview.

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

Application

I interviewed at Yelp (Calgary, AB)

Interview

First Interview. Took out time from work to talk initial assessment, was told it would be followed by another interview, which they did. Interviewer was late about five minutes. Interview went well, but there was no response not even an email. Interviewer seemed uninterested, or was zoned out.

Interview Questions
3 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (London, England)

Interview

Fairly standard interview. Online test sent first and then an on site (at the time it was remote due to covid) and had a good coding question that needed Hashmap. Interviewers were lovely and very kind, and after getting the offer they all personally congratulated me.

Interview Questions
  • Hashmap question for basically traversing something of a tree
  • A system design question on designing a feature within Yelp
6 people found this interview helpful