Yelp Reviews

3.4
Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman
1,674 Ratings
Pros
  • "Fun culture, free food, good money(in 277 reviews)

• "Amazing culture and great people(in 199 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Uphill battle having to constantly convince business owners that Yelp is not this corrupt monster of a company(in 248 reviews)

• "All cold calls, lots of burnout(in 80 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 3.0
      Former Employee

Good

Jan 29, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fast development, this will help to learn a lot

Cons

Proper coding style is not followed

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work with great WLB, supportive culture, interesting projects

Jul 6, 2021 - Product Designer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Design leadership is on point. The design org has reached a stable place where we're taking the lead on some initiatives and making progress in areas we used to fall behind industry-wise (such as feeling like design "has a seat at the table," helping determine product direction/vision, and having a strong/consistent design language). Overall company culture and WLB is great - depends on your team but afaik we support people who want to work really hard and progress in their careers. as well as those who want to focus on other areas of their lives and be a little more laid back at work. Overall, we get to solve meaningful problems for people around us and that's pretty awesome.

Cons

Some politics (to be expected in any tech company), middle management/leadership alignment issues on the product side that sometimes makes things take longer than they should. Engineers tend to be on the younger and newer side, which has its pros and cons. Org restructuring takes place every 6 months to a year (it's gotten less frequent now). The biggest con as a designer is that our company's profitability depends on ads. That often creates conflict with product on what we should or shouldn't be building, but on the flip side it makes for some really interesting, complex problems to solve.

3. 5.0
      Former Employee

6 years at Yelp

Jun 4, 2021 - Senior Elite Account Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

You will meet the most compassionate, funny, and caring people and makes lifetime connections and friends. The job has clear cut expectations and gives you all the tools and training that you need to be successful. Anyone that works hard can succeed. I liked the AE role and never left it for 6 years. I like working with local businesses and helping them. I like how the commission structure clearly states how much money you can make. I struggled at first but after a few years I was making more money than all the people my age at a job where I could leave at 5:30 with no stress. I personally like structure and routine. I also like knowing exact metrics needed to succeed. If you are determined and work hard the sky is the limit for you. I stayed in the account executive role and was making six figures easily. I had the opportunity to be on the landing team in the Washington dc office. Personally I think the account executive role is the best job in the company.. The job changed my life.

Cons

The job is definitely challenging but that is every sales job. What makes this job special is that you will meet the most caring amazing people and I always felt excited to go into work every day. I will cherish the relationships I made here forever. Everyone supports one another and wants to help each other succeed.

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Make an impact with a good work/life balance

Jul 14, 2021 - Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly culture, and the scope of your work will be pretty large. This doesn't mean you will be overworked though, because Yelp really values WLB and does not feel cutthroat. Great environment to learn and grow. Corporate strategy during COVID has been great.

Cons

Comp could be better, especially in high CoL cities like Van/Toronto. Prod/Eng seems understaffed especially when compared to competitors (Google/FB/etc.) but we are hiring a lot.

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

In this very competitive job market, find any other opportunity.

Jun 23, 2021 - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

There were some great people and this was a nice opportunity to get something on my resume post college without any experience.

Cons

Oh, where to begin. Salary is alright, not exactly competitive but becomes competitive if you stay there for 2 years+. The insane turnover rate was uninspiring, one day you'd walk in to a new teammate because, "Bob quit via email last night. Here's your new teammate Tom. Let's hit the phones!" During my tenure I witnessed people quit via text, walk out at lunch, leave notes on desks, and just not show up. The nonstop BLARING of America's Top 40 Pop Hits, I believe mentioned in several other reviews, is enough to make you never want to listen to music again. But it wasn't the next-level micromanaging, anxiety attacks, "sick beer kegs in the office", impractical daily metrics, or constant verbal abuse over the phone from business owners that really drove me out of there. One of my teammates and myself witnessed an incident where a teammate (who had previously had several 'incidences' that resulted in zero disciplinary action) said some incredibly vulgar things to my manager that created a very uncomfortable and hostile work environment. Once again, no disciplinary action, so the witnessing teammate and myself took the issue to HR. HR asked us to recap the entire scenario, vulgar words and all, which was uncomfortable for the two of us, but in the end it was his word against ours, and no disciplinary action was taken. My teammate quit the following day and myself not far behind her.

Yelp Response

Thank you for letting us know how things went during your time at Yelp. It's great to hear that you worked with some great folks and that Yelp was a great place to start a career after graduation. However, we're sorry to hear that your in-office experience wasn't exactly what you were hoping for. While the Yelp team now works from home, one of the best parts of our culture is that we take time to celebrate even the smallest of wins. When we worked in an office, that sometimes meant giving a high five to someone who just had a tough call, and other times it meant your team walking up to watch you hit the gong after you closed a deal! In a remote setting, we're doing all we can to foster a similar culture of celebration and team spirit. While this environment is exciting and inspiring for most, we understand it's not for everyone. We know that there is always room for improvement, and we continue to encourage and listen to the feedback of our employees so we can keep creating an environment that supports success, inclusion, and belonging for everyone.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great but end is near

Jul 22, 2021 - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Product works, remote, speaking with different people and industries, have had some rewarding moments helping businesses grow

Cons

Politics, marketing department, stress, compensation, high dials, micromanaged

Yelp Response

Thank you for letting us know how things are going. Sounds like you're having an overall positive experience, and it's always great to have rewarding moments along the way! The Account Executive role is important now more than ever as AEs are helping local businesses reopen and get back on their feet with the help of Yelp Ads. Keep up the great work on this front, your contributions are valuable! We encourage you to lean on your manager about some of the concerns you're having. They're here to help you succeed and find ways to support you better. We understand there's always room for us to improve as a company, so we'll be sure to pass up your notes to our leadership team so we can keep making Yelp a great place to work!

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Benefits, terrible comp

Jul 8, 2021 - Senior Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Healthcare, snacks, fast paced environment

Cons

Limited resources, unattainable quotas, no opportunity to move roles

8. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Do NOT accept this role lol

May 9, 2021 - Account Executive in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

- coworkers can become your best friends - pantry - free cafe bar - benefit packages

Cons

- the entire role itself. if you love cold calling, getting cursed out at by business owners who have been contacted multiple times and still do not want yelp ads, and being micro managed by your manager and your director...this is the job for you. i only enjoyed coming to work for my co-workers/teammates. i loathed every second i was here and management will torture you with daily meetings on how they can help when literally...it's not you that can't close or sell. it's the fact these leads all have been contacted by yelp many times and hate us. even when you've exhaust your pipeline, they make you call business owners over and over again. management sucks. you are constantly being micro managed by your manager and they will play your phone calls out loud to your team and make your team give you constructive criticism. the day i put on my resignation, my manager literally still made me stay the whole day and "pretend" to work - so i had to still make dials and try to close. she didn't acknowledge me once, didn't come up to me, and was super cold and rude to me. within 5 minutes before dismissal, she then told me i could leave. she got mad at me for using my phone and pinged me to "try to look like i am working". horrible. also, NO CAREER GROWTH if you are in AE positon.

2 people found this review helpful

Yelp Response

Thank you for taking a moment to let us know how things went. By listening to the needs of our employees, we are able to make Yelp a great place to work for everyone. Last year, we recognized the need to address offensive clients and prospective clients who use racially-charged language in their communications with our employees. We do not want their business, and will not tolerate hate speech directed at our employees. We've also implemented resources to make it easier and safer for employees to report internal incidents of discrimination or harassment. We're also working to create more paths to leadership through sponsorship and advocacy, and to establish checks and balances around promotions. Your input is heard, and we'll be sure to share it with our leadership team. Your contributions to the team are appreciated and we wish you the best of luck in your next role.

9. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Learned a lot!

Jul 21, 2021 - Account Executive in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great training for new hires Fantastic benefits There are some amazing managers The product is amazing Diverse employees

Cons

Not the most professional environment - there’s some unprofessional behavior and the culture can be clique-y Some problematic people (and some bad managers that offset the good ones) They do not value tenure Not a good pay structure - and there’s not much opportunity for growth

10. 4.0
      Current Employee

Good job to start off career

Jul 20, 2021 - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing benefits and people. Learn a lot.

Cons

A lot of work and calls

Viewing 1 - 10 of 3,341 Reviews