Yelp Reviews

3.5
Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman
1,744 Ratings
Pros
  • "Fun culture, free food, good money(in 277 reviews)

• "Amazing culture and great people(in 199 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Uphill battle having to constantly convince business owners that Yelp is not this corrupt monster of a company(in 248 reviews)

• "All cold calls, lots of burnout(in 80 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 4.0

Great

Aug 27, 2021 - Account Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good place to work at.

Cons

None really that I’m aware of.

2. 3.0
      Former Employee

Good

Jan 29, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fast development, this will help to learn a lot

Cons

Proper coding style is not followed

1 person found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Interview Review

Oct 22, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing people, company and interview process.

Cons

There's no cons as of yet.

Yelp Response

Thank you for your five-star feedback! We're thrilled you had a fantastic experience and had a flawless interview process. We appreciate the opportunity to get to know you!

4. 4.0

Amazing Culture and Career Opportunities with a few downsides

Oct 19, 2021 - Elite Account Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Training. Yelp trains you. If you have the grit and tenacity and buy into the "matter of when" approach, Yelp gives you skills that other companies want and other companies will poach for. I was a sad restaurant manager in Chicago before I was hired and Yelp's training launched my career, I'll forever be eternally grateful. -Culture. The culture has come a long way at Yelp and is one of the most special parts of working there. If you've experienced (or looking to escape) a toxic work environment, Yelp is a breath of fresh air. Hard work and effort are recognized and rewarded with praise and incentives. Managers now have a ton more training and are vetted more than when I joined in 2018. Back in 2018, if you hit consistent numbers (even low consistent numbers at target) and you were a decent person, upper management seemed to promote anyone with numbers and the character with most management training coming on the job. The new managers were training new hires (blind leading the blind) and not everyone was cut out for that kind of on-the-job training, leading to a lot of lost talent. The amount of work and consistency for new managers at Yelp means better Account Executives who are better trained by someone who was trained themselves, not someone winging every second of it. -Management. Upper management at Yelp are a special bunch of amazing individuals that I respect and admire, if you work here, get time in their calendars and learn from them. Jeremy the CEO is awesome and he cares, he really does. -Time off and career growth. PTO is great, 15 days is super fair and it jumps up to 18 after 2 years. Work ends at 5:30pm (or whenever you work out your schedule). When you put the phone down for the day, you are done. It's a nice feeling. Tons of career opportunities but mostly in sales. Just perform and work hard and do your best to pick out a few potential paths instead of getting complacent and staying in local sales forever. Local is where you start, but I personally feel it should never be where you stay too long -Benefits are the beez neez. Not just a full benefits package, but nice perks that I'd need a while to list. Talkspace for mental health therapy, professional coaching with Bravely (my favorite perk ever, I need a coach again), perks for parents, etc. Yelp does everything it can to take care of you outside of work.

Cons

-Think big picture and long term with your career or you’ll lose yourself in the nature of the job. It can be grueling if you let it get to you (it will get to you). Its sales. I went from being a restaurant manager wanted a drastic change in my life and I got it to launch my career, I’m grateful I did it for 4 years but it took its tool at times. -Sick time off. The job is extremely demanding at times and you only get 5 sick/ mental health days total. This is one of the reasons I left. It's 2021, I worked throughout the nightmare that was 2020, 5 days to look after myself if I am sick or just need a day is not enough. It's really not. I worked in every office group expect for the Phoenix office, and in NY I felt a lack of understanding for the importance of mental health days. Many reps on my team did not take them for fear of falling behind or getting challenged by managers, leading to burnout. Taking a mental health day was definitly dependant on your manager. I feel if you’re a veteran, and you perform and hit your numbers, there should be unlimited mental health days. Yelp puts so much effort into taking care of people, give your top people time to rest. -Accountability is a bit much (though at the start I wanted it more than anything). As a veteran, you will constantly be checking in with your manager (this is good for hitting metrics and having someone to check on you to help you reach numbers) but sometimes I just want to work and be left alone. -"stay in your lane" mentality depending on who your managers and directors are. What I mean by that is that you are a salesperson 1st, your numbers matter more than anything, and then you’re everything else 2nd, 3rd. Hit your numbers (or work your butt off) if you want a voice that makes an impact. It's sales, water separates from oil, it makes sense and it’s probably one of the reasons Yelp has stayed successful but other people who don't hit their numbers are not irrelevant. I am not saying that if you do not hit numbers, you will not be valued as a person, I am saying that if you want to make a meaningful impact, lead roundups, lead, give advice, hit your numbers, otherwise you'll be told to "stay in your lane." Again, depends on your manager and director most of the time. This can lead to people tying identities to their numbers, so if you’re having a bad run of a few months, its going to affect your self esteem and confidence until you turn it around, its just the nature of the job. -Salary. It’s a fun ride chasing the next salary promotion and I saw a considerable quality of life change when I jumped from Account Executive to Senior Account Exectutive. But after Elite AE, the salary hardly jumps (to be fair, by the time you hit Elite, closing is a lot easier so you will make more commission). After 5 years at yelp your salary grows by a few percentages, but not as much as jumping to another company and growing your salary by 10-20k with still commission to be earned. Thats why I suggest that you choose a direction you want to run in within your first year, DO NOT get complacent and comfortable in local sales. Although jumping into Local Client Partner and Managment, the salary does not jump at first either, which was a HUGE frustration for me. Management salary grows quickly with performance and the skills you learn on the job or 2nd to none, you just have to want it bad cause it wont pay that well when you start out. Local Client partner (the department where you upsell) is supposed to be a promotion but without a salary bump, I didn’t see the incentive to join (higher commission structure in LCP though).

1 person found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee

Fosters Leadership and Professional Development

Oct 21, 2021 - AAE Yelp in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lot's of upward mobility at the start

Cons

Not for people who aren't willing to get out of their comfort zone. It challenges you.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good job must work hard

Oct 21, 2021 - Sales Account Executive in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Pay, Great Team, The harder you work the more money you make

Cons

There aren't many cons depends on person

7. 5.0

Fun and flexible job!

Oct 18, 2021 - Marketing Coordinator
      Business Outlook

Pros

As a coordinator for a smaller market, I worked under 1 manager, and I cannot say enough good things about my manager. It was fun managing social content which allowed for a more flexible wfh schedule; but it can be challenging to think of new, fun ways to attract followers. The other part of the job required in-person social interaction with businesses and Yelp users, which more often than not, was fulfilling.

Cons

Sometimes it can be stressful balancing the needs of businesses and the demands/expectations of Yelp users.

8. 4.0

Yelp works

Oct 18, 2021 - Elite Account Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay is competitive Culture is unmatched

Cons

Work life balance isn’t good

9. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good company to grow with

Oct 15, 2021 - Local Client Partner in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Howard mobility they promote within and can move up quickly

Cons

Low base to start and cold calling

10. 5.0

Great Company

Oct 14, 2021 - Sales Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits and office culture

Cons

none that I can think of

Yelp Response

Thank you for your five-star feedback! We're thrilled that you saw great value in the benefits package for our employees and enjoyed the culture in our offices. We appreciate your contributions to the team and wish you the best of luck in your next role!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 3,498 Reviews