Questions during CTC tour: It seemed like he was interested in my ability to hold technical conversations.
1) What mechanical system does this fan blade look like?
2) Why are there connecting pieces 3/4 way along the fan blades?
3) How do you think this fan blade (with no connecting pieces) was designed to overcome vibration issues when it spins at the blade's natural frequency? How did the engineers increase the stiffness?
1) A cantilever beam
2) To support the fan at two points to limit propagating vibration, and to distribute this vibration across all other blades
3) The width of the blade was increased (Moment of inertia I = bh^3/12) and the fan was made hollow to reduce the influence of mass. Less
Mention how their projects are in line with your experience and that they are very interesting and you are excited for the challenge. Great atmosphere, mentoring, etc.. all things firms want to hear. Less