Charles River Development Reviews

Updated 6 Aug 2020

3.2
Charles River Development CEO John Plansky
John Plansky
Pros
  • "Very smart people, dedicated workforce, self motivated/self starter mentality(in 32 reviews)

• "Work happens at a good cadence so good work life balance(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "There is no work from home option for people working in the lower ranks(in 20 reviews)

• "Please interview your manager before accepting the offer, regarding work-life balance(in 13 reviews)

1. "everything was good and good environment"

I worked at Charles River Development full-time

Pros

everything was good and good environment

Cons

as per my inf no cons

2. "Good company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Charles River Development full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice culture and nice co-workers.

Cons

Benefits are average. Need to work overtime.

"Not worth it"

1.0
    Former Employee - Associate Systems Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Charles River Development full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You will be doing IT support without any background/knowledge in the IT field.

Cons

You work with people who are film majors and not really any IT people. You are surrounded with people who lack technical knowledge. You are paid hourly and benefits such as bonus are at the discretion of management (which you may not get).

"Solid Company"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Charles River Development full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It might be depending on the department, but the consulting team's culture is one of the best I have ever been a part of. It 100% starts with the head of consulting, Dean. It doesn't get better than him as a leader.

Cons

Feels as though there are four different companies within one: Consulting, Front End Support, SaaS, and Development. I wish they all worked together rather than being passive aggressive towards each other. Also, SaaS needs more capital for hiring more employees. Ed does a great job, but State Street needs to pour more money into SaaS

"Good people, bad work culture and work life balance."

2.0
    Former Employee - Associate Systems Analyst in Martinsville, IN

I worked at Charles River Development full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work with very skilled people Decent benefits

Cons

Long hours 30 minute lunch if you are an hourly employee Lots of finger pointing when things go wrong Early 90s work feel and culture Not a lot of positions to get promoted to There is no work from home option for people working in the lower ranks.

Continue reading
  6. "Legacy Software!!! Good Pay"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Charles River Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

Higher than industry standard salary, Gym, Smart people around. There is a hope to modernize product/solutions technically. 4 weeks vacation from first year.

Cons

Legacy product, lot of over engineered solutions and very hard to understand them. Almost every engineers work from Burlington office and the teams lack a global work environment culture. Health benefits are not good.

"could be better!"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Charles River Development full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits and holidays pay

Cons

Seriously under staffed. People keep leaving because your expected to work weekends and they don't give you the days back in lieu so you actually get less holidays that you think!

Continue reading
  8. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Principal Software Development Engineer

I have been working at Charles River Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent work ethic, great location.

Cons

The technology stack is aged.

"Interview your manager before accepting the offer"

1.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Charles River Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

free gym downstairs. The company is expanding

Cons

Please interview your manager before accepting the offer, regarding work-life balance. It varies a lot by teams, but ... Some managers will call your cell OUTSIDE working hours, either evenings or even SUNDAYs and need IMMEDIATE response. This happens A LOT! No respect on personal life at all (note: my function is not customer facing or mission critical, but still everything is due yesterday). The managers may also call you for example if he is stuck in traffic. Very common to work 60 hours without any appreciation. Work from home in the team was considered as a Luxury, even though the company claims to offer flexibility.

"If you don't care about work culture and prefer to come to work only to do 9-5 and leave, this is the right place"

4.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Charles River Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

For new grads like me who are on F1, this place is great because they'll file you an H1B. The benefits are great along with package. From what I have heard, the holidays given are more then other industries. If you enjoy Java, this is the right place.

Cons

There is no 'after work' life here. Difficult to meet and mingle with other employees here. From my experience here, people here just do their 9-5 and leave. You bring your food, you eat at your desk and leave. There isn't really companies own cafeteria to get to know other employees. While I write this, I feel everyone who is at this company is for the money, nothing else. Cons include a bit on company using a lot of legacy dated tools only such has no Intellij nor Jira. So, if you keep doing what you are told at the company, you'll be left really behind the pack. You gotta be lucky to get a good manager because like it said other people commenting here, micro-management is a thing in this company, BE WARE.

Found 220 reviews