EMJ Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 2 March 2019

2.9
Burt Odom

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "People taking advantage of people"

I have been working at EMJ full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You may meet some good people.

Cons

You will be used and discarded

"First Job out of College"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at EMJ full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bought us lunch a lot lol

Cons

As my first job out of college, I was expecting to learn a lot/have some one to mentor me, but instead I was just "told" to do something when I had never done it before! I wrote a $1 million change order with 0 direction, and all I got in return was questions as to why it took so long. They also have 0 connections/relationships to the greater Boston area so you had to be willing to go way out of state to work on projects

Advice to Management

Don't rope new grads in with the belief they that are going to be mentored/taught when they aren't...

3. "Was good at first"

Former Employee - Assistant Superintendent
    Former Employee - Assistant Superintendent

I worked at EMJ full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some good people there . I can count one one hand who those people are .

Cons

Work you to death with no down time . They take you away from your family then let you go home for a day then half to come back for 2 weeks . I personally was a assistant super doing superintendent work did my job almost lost my family do to the work load then completed the project with no problems and at the end of the job the "layed me and 4 other great guys off " so what you get for completing tasks is they let you go. I personally would not send anyone there to work . Upper management is ran by men who only want to see there pockets get bigger while the lower guys do all the work . Not a fair company .

Advice to Management

Need to do a spring cleaning of all upper management and start over with people that actually know how to run a company .

18 Feb 2019 – Vice President of People

Thank you for your candid feedback. While this isn’t something we hear very much, we are sorry that was your experience. We appreciate all of our employees, especially the ones in field operations... More

4. "People Serving People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN (US)

I have been working at EMJ full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

EMJ has a lot of tenured employees with excellent experience, a passion for this industry, and care/concern for their work product. People are very collaborative with one another and the company has really re-focused on the importance of the client experience. I enjoy coming to work every day - we have great events (recently a family one at the zoo). We have monthly status meetings and a weekly Blueprint that details everything going on at the company. If you aren't sure, you only have to ask someone - they will tell you.

Cons

I get some people are scared by the changes but they needed to happen. Frankly, those who aren't committed long-term should just not stay along for the ride. The company is really going in a great direction despite some growing pains.

Advice to Management

Keep making changes and improvements. Career opportunities are there if you work hard, put in time for development, and raise your hand for assignments.

5. "Current Employee"

I have been working at EMJ full-time

Pros

For the most part employees are pleasant and friendly and this allows for a lax social environment. The compensation is fair and the company is willing to help individual employees with personal hardships.

Cons

EMJ loves to preach about transparency and honesty with its employees but in most situations does not communicate company changes with the employees. There is some hostility towards management for seeming smug, entitled, and evasive.

Overall, EMJ is stuck in its antiquated ways and unwilling to let the workplace and it's culture evolve to fit a modern lifestyle. The software and procedures are redundant and hours/rules are overly-strict.

Advice to Management

Connect more with your employees and listen to their requests. Otherwise, you will continue to loose employees at a high rate.

21 Aug 2018

As a current employee, you have heard a lot this year about our new strategic direction. As part of this, we are redoubling our focus on our people and our culture, and are currently making many... More

6. "Complete mess"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at EMJ full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They do have some good people, they just can’t seem to keep them.

Cons

This place is honestly a complete mess. Not enough structure to support project managers/superintendents and leadership can’t seem to make up their mind on what they want to do. Turnover is extremely high.

14 Aug 2018

Thank you for providing feedback on your time with EMJ. We agree with you that our people are our greatest asset, and we’re sorry to hear that your experience was not what we aim to provide our... More

7. "Project Engineer"

Former Employee - Project Engineer
    Former Employee - Project Engineer

I worked at EMJ full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There was alot of different project types you could work on.

Cons

Leadership did not follow through on commitments. Long work hours and low pay. You are more of a number to them than a name

Advice to Management

Spend more time training and giving career advise to younger employees.

8. "Project Engineer"

I worked at EMJ full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for, a lot of growth & a good amount of opportunities.

Cons

Changing of program implementation, need to work on training more.

Advice to Management

Continue working with younger employees

9. "Disappointed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX (US)

I worked at EMJ full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The few employees who actually care to train and grow their subordinates are few and far between. The majority of the company leadership is in it for themselves and very seldom promotes from within.

Cons

There is no job security. They let go of 60+ people when construction was booming in Dallas. As I said before, leadership does not care to train you enough to promote you. Instead, they bring someone from the outside to fill openings.

12 Feb 2018 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your experience and perspective. While staffing decisions are made based on our strategy and projects, we place a great deal of emphasis on our people. As we see each year... More

10. "Superintendent"

Former Employee - Construction Superintendent in Chattanooga, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Construction Superintendent in Chattanooga, TN (US)

I worked at EMJ full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good company to work for, opportunity to learn, travel and meet new people, they will give you the instruction you need to excel in the field

Cons

Over time you go from a name to a number another huge corporation that feels everyone is replaceable with a cheaper salaried person

Advice to Management

It’s all about the office personal. When the employees in the field are the ones that make the company. Appreciate your field personal