EMJ Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

EMJ Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2019

Found 34 reviews

EMJ CEO Burt Odom (no image)
Burt Odom
  1. "Working for EMJ"

Current Employee - Preconstruction Manager

I have been working at EMJ full-time

Pros

A lot of room for growth. Competive base pay.

Cons

Poor win percentage. Poor communication from leadership. Poor bonus and 401k match.

EMJ2019-07-20

July 23, 2019Vice President of People

Thank you for your feedback. We have worked hard to ensure our base pay is competitive in the market. We are currently in the process of re-evaluating our bonus program and 401k match. We believe the upcoming changes will have a positive impact on our employees.

2. "Moving in the Right Direction"

Current Employee - Project Engineer

I have been working at EMJ full-time for more than a year

Pros

The training program for project engineers is unique as it allow you to work in each construction department for a 3 years total. I have learned so much already without being pigeonholed into one department! Bringing in a lot of young talent over the past six monthes as well as promoting from within Well paid, Solid benefits. We believe in selling ourselves to subcontractors, rather than sell the company,... which I think allows for interesting business relationships. Overall, it seems like slowly but surely, the company is modernizing with the new generation being given more responsibilities and more say in what directions to take.

Cons

Employee turnover is normal for this industry, but is still difficult to manage. Lack of work place diversity. (interpret that as you will)

EMJ2019-04-03
  3. "People taking advantage of people"

I have been working at EMJ full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You may meet some good people.

Cons

You will be used and discarded

EMJ2019-03-03

"First Job out of College"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at EMJ full-time for less than a year

Pros

Bought us lunch a lot lol

Cons

As my first job out of college, I was expecting to learn a lot/have some one to mentor me, but instead I was just "told" to do something when I had never done it before! I wrote a $1 million change order with 0 direction, and all I got in return was questions as to why it took so long. They also have 0 connections/relationships to the greater Boston area so you had to be willing to go way out of state to work on... projects

Advice to Management

Don't rope new grads in with the belief they that are going to be mentored/taught when they aren't...

EMJ2019-02-06

"Was good at first"

Former Employee - Assistant Superintendent

I worked at EMJ full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are some good people there . I can count one one hand who those people are .

Cons

Work you to death with no down time . They take you away from your family then let you go home for a day then half to come back for 2 weeks . I personally was a assistant super doing superintendent work did my job almost lost my family do to the work load then completed the project with no problems and at the end of the job the "layed me and 4 other great guys off " so what you get for completing tasks is they let... you go. I personally would not send anyone there to work . Upper management is ran by men who only want to see there pockets get bigger while the lower guys do all the work . Not a fair company .

Advice to Management

Need to do a spring cleaning of all upper management and start over with people that actually know how to run a company .

EMJ2019-02-10

February 18, 2019Vice President of People

Thank you for your candid feedback. While this isn’t something we hear very much, we are sorry that was your experience. We appreciate all of our employees, especially the ones in field operations. This year we worked hard to reward our employees, making sure they have time for their families, through various programs including giving everyone an extra week off in December. That said, we regret you had a different experience. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

6. "People Serving People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at EMJ full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

EMJ has a lot of tenured employees with excellent experience, a passion for this industry, and care/concern for their work product. People are very collaborative with one another and the company has really re-focused on the importance of the client experience. I enjoy coming to work every day - we have great events (recently a family one at the zoo). We have monthly status meetings and a weekly Blueprint that... details everything going on at the company. If you aren't sure, you only have to ask someone - they will tell you.

Cons

I get some people are scared by the changes but they needed to happen. Frankly, those who aren't committed long-term should just not stay along for the ride. The company is really going in a great direction despite some growing pains.

Advice to Management

Keep making changes and improvements. Career opportunities are there if you work hard, put in time for development, and raise your hand for assignments.

EMJ2018-08-21
  7. "Current Employee"

I have been working at EMJ full-time

Pros

For the most part employees are pleasant and friendly and this allows for a lax social environment. The compensation is fair and the company is willing to help individual employees with personal hardships.

Cons

EMJ loves to preach about transparency and honesty with its employees but in most situations does not communicate company changes with the employees. There is some hostility towards management for seeming smug, entitled, and evasive. Overall, EMJ is stuck in its antiquated ways and unwilling to let the workplace and it's culture evolve to fit a modern lifestyle. The software and procedures are redundant and... hours/rules are overly-strict.

Advice to Management

Connect more with your employees and listen to their requests. Otherwise, you will continue to loose employees at a high rate.

EMJ2018-08-20

August 21, 2018

As a current employee, you have heard a lot this year about our new strategic direction. As part of this, we are redoubling our focus on our people and our culture, and are currently making many changes to improve our processes and reduce redundancies. Regarding communication and transparency, these are a top priority for us, and we openly share all information available at the most appropriate time. That said, we are committed to continually learning, growing and improving as an organization. Your input is valuable and will assist us as we continue toward our goals. As an employee, there are many opportunities for you to express your thoughts or ask questions of leaders. For example, the ASK US form via our internal SharePoint page allows you to anonymously pose a question to company leadership. The answer is then shared with all employees. You are also encouraged to reach out to any member of the senior leadership team via email or phone. You might be surprised by how willing they are to address your concerns. We are excited about the direction we are headed as a company and about the opportunities available to our team. We want you to be as well. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and assisting us with our growth.

8. "Complete mess"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at EMJ full-time for more than a year

Pros

They do have some good people, they just can’t seem to keep them.

Cons

This place is honestly a complete mess. Not enough structure to support project managers/superintendents and leadership can’t seem to make up their mind on what they want to do. Turnover is extremely high.

EMJ2018-08-13

August 14, 2018

Thank you for providing feedback on your time with EMJ. We agree with you that our people are our greatest asset, and we’re sorry to hear that your experience was not what we aim to provide our employees. The first half of 2018 has seen the introduction of a new strategic direction. We are excited about the direction we are headed as a company and about the opportunities available to our team. Communication and clarity are a top priority for us, and we are committed to continually learning and growing as an organization. Your input is valuable and will assist us as we continue toward our goals.

9. "Project Engineer"

Former Employee - Project Engineer

I worked at EMJ full-time for more than a year

Pros

There was alot of different project types you could work on.

Cons

Leadership did not follow through on commitments. Long work hours and low pay. You are more of a number to them than a name

Advice to Management

Spend more time training and giving career advise to younger employees.

EMJ2018-06-20
  10. "Project Engineer"

I worked at EMJ full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company to work for, a lot of growth & a good amount of opportunities.

Cons

Changing of program implementation, need to work on training more.

Advice to Management

Continue working with younger employees

EMJ2018-04-18