Elastic Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

4.4
Elastic CEO Steven Schuurman
Steven Schuurman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • commercial plugins model seems to be the best combination to make an open source business successful (in 22 reviews)

• A huge benefit is the ability to work from home regardless of where you live (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Fortunately the company is good about letting you find your work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• A distributed company can be hard to work for (in 5 reviews)

1. "Exceptionally caring, talented and diverse environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA (US)

I have been working at Elastic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I cannot speak highly enough of Elastic, there's so many great things about the company that it's hard to narrow down. It is really easy to talk to anyone in the company (even though we're spread in 30+ countries), it's easy to talk to even C-level executives and nobody acts more important than anyone else. There is a truly honest and open culture, which fosters a community of knowledge sharing and constant learning while striving to make sure that everything is done with top notch quality. No decision is ever made blindly and we always give the deepest detail on the thought process behind them. Because we can hire remote workers globally, we are able to access top notch talent no matter where they are located. This shows whenever you talk to someone about the products, they're always excited and passionate about them both in quality, extent of use cases, and that fact that we keep our core components open source. I know that everybody thinks their company is the greatest, but I honestly cannot find something that I don't love about Elastic and I hope that we're able to stay tight knit and true to our values as we continue to grow rapidly.

Cons

That I didn't find out about Elastic earlier... kidding! There's really not much I can think of to put here. There are certainly pros and cons of having a distributed first company, and while the pros may outweigh the cons you will often wake up to find notes or news from coworkers on the other side of the globe and there is a degree of delay in communication between time zones sometimes (personally, I'm excited to wake up and read what I missed overnight).

Advice to Management

Don't change! Stay true to yourselves and keep it up.

2. "Unparalleled excellence"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Elastic full-time

Pros

People
    * Smart
    * Generous with time, thought, effort
    * Passionate about helping around the world
    * Empowering of underrepresented people
    * Proven record of inclusion

Policy
    * Proven adherence to policies regarding workplace harassment
    * Generous vacation, sick, volunteer, and floating holidays
    * Openness to speak 1-on-1 with C-level people and people at all levels
    * Transparency on all decisions and direction
    * Openness to employment contract compromise

Engineering
    * Flexible work hours and location
    * Great peer reviews of code
    * Emphasis on building each engineer
    * Focus on releasing quality over speed
    * ... and yet code is shipped very fast

Cons

* Love for all my elasticians makes it hard to wait half a year before seeing them.

Advice to Management

:elasticheart:

3. "Engineering"

Current Employee - Education Engineer in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Education Engineer in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Elastic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Super environment to work in - flexible, supportive

Cons

Highly distributed - it's also a benefit. But with spread out employees comes challenges to keep us all communicating. Elastic does a great job of addressing this.

Advice to Management

stay transparent!

5. "The best company & culture I've seen"

I have been working at Elastic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined the team because I saw that Elastic truly values and trusts their employees, and this has been consistent since I started working with them.

- Remote & flexible work environment is invaluable
    - My manager supports and encourages me -- she's the best manager I've had thus far into my career
    - I admire the leadership here and the direction we are headed as a company
    - I feel that my work is very meaningful

Cons

- As with any start-up, there will be growing pains as a company grows and continues to expand globally.

Advice to Management

- Keep up the great work

"Your experience will depend on your expectations"

I have been working at Elastic full-time

Pros

Decent pay, good health care benefits, (mostly) distributed work culture, unique opportunity to be a part of the next big software company

Cons

Inconsistency of cultures across different groups lead to conflict because of different expectations
    Very stingy with stock options
    Lack of ethnic and gender diversity on executive and management team

Advice to Management

Be more real and honest about who we are as a company. There's a lot of talk about how great the culture is but no one is willing to define what that culture is. Lack of definition, even a high level definition, results in mismatched expectations and conflict from various folks claiming to understand the "culture".

Define a set of core values that everyone in the company adopts, regardless of group, locale, etc. and try to live by them.

Stop calling the company a "startup". It's 5+ years old with 500+ employees. Many levels of management and process. It may feel like a startup to people from IBM, HP, etc. but it's a small to medium sized company, not a "startup".

I had written a more negative review in the past but took it down because many of my critiques had finally been addressed. It's unfortunate it took so long but at least the company was willing to do something after numerous negative Glassdoor reviews saying the same thing. People have been giving feedback on these areas of improvement internally for years but nothing happens until people air it out on Glassdoor, thus affecting the ability to attract talent? Sigh.

There is a lack of genuine effort and desire to have a ethnic and gender diverse management team. It's pretty obvious from the way executives talk about it that they just don't get it. It might be helpful if these mostly white males made an effort to reach out to current non-white employees to get honest feedback on how things could be improved.

"Sales director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asia, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asia, TX (US)

I worked at Elastic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to meet the customer. Flexible work. Work from home. Diveristy culture.

Cons

They don't buy. And, overall benifit is not good. Very small stock option. Even its startup, CxO guy doesnt consider wealth of employee. Its already into operational management.

"Challenging and rewarding work environment"

I have been working at Elastic full-time

Pros

Great group of people, really brings out the best in me.
    Every team in the organization is above anything I have experienced in other work places. Just super awesome people all over.
    The company has a great culture, transparency is highly valued and almost religiously practiced, and all employees can make their opinion heard and respected.
    The work is intensive, the bar is high, and the company has ambitious goals. So this isn't a place to rest and relax.
    The leadership team is highly capable and inspiring. They have a very clear vision and and an excellent foundation to fulfill it.

Cons

Working from afar can be a bit difficult and not for everyone. Especially if you're not in a US time zone. Expect to make compromises and be flexible with your time.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you do!
    Pay attention to non-US employees and balance meetings and online activities between them and US-based employees. One of the greatest assets of this company is its distributed nature, strive hard to maintain it.

"Dynamic, challenging, and truly meaningful work"

Current Employee - Employee
    Current Employee - Employee

I have been working at Elastic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Elastic has been a consistently rewarding experience:
    * Genuinely fascinating product use cases across every imaginable industry and organization: financial, technological, scientific, non-profit, educational, e-commerce, and many more for practically any organization one can name
    * Inspiring and positive vision for the future
    * Thought leadership in regards to hiring, diversity, transparency, and continuous improvement
    * A diverse, global, social, and truly fun team

Cons

Challenges of course do exist, as they do in any fast-growing company in a highly competitive market. The rate of growth and change is rapid and constant, and the company is racing to stay one step ahead. Expectations are high. Good teamwork, communication, and at times, patience and perseverance, are required. The open-source world is both open and chaotic, perhaps why also exciting and limitless.

Advice to Management

Stay true to the vision of being steadfastly caring, principled, open, and connected to the community, even as you achieve greater success.

"Challenging & Rewarding. Having fun"

Current Employee - Sales in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales in Mountain View, CA (US)

I have been working at Elastic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, smart, fun.

I can see decisions being made that have the long game in mind.

My work is making a difference.

Expectations of performance and quality is high...which is fine by me.

Some recent internal promotions have been great to see.

Leadership cares and wants to hear new ideas and to challenge old thinking.

Cons

A distributed company can be hard to work for. Don't get me wrong, the cultural diversity is a fantastic benefit but, time zone differences, a 24x7 business, emails or Slack instead of calls or hallway conversations add another level of time / work.

Advice to Management

Elastic has an unbelievable opportunity now and in the future. Keep pushing us and yourself. Thank you.

11. "Sales Development Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in London, England (UK)

Pros

One of the best company cultures around. Incredibly driven and intelligent people across every department. Products are changing the world, exciting place to work day in day out.

Cons

Absolutely none, no complaints about anything

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and I love the transparency with the whole company