Elastic Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Elastic CEO Steven Schuurman
Steven Schuurman

Pros
  • commercial plugins model seems to be the best combination to make an open source business successful (in 21 reviews)

• Great people to work with and excellent work life balance (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Fortunately the company is good about letting you find your work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Being a distributed company, no one will nag you to get work done (in 5 reviews)

"Dynamic, challenging, and truly meaningful work"

Current Employee - Employee
    Current Employee - Employee

I have been working at Elastic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Elastic has been a consistently rewarding experience:
    * Genuinely fascinating product use cases across every imaginable industry and organization: financial, technological, scientific, non-profit, educational, e-commerce, and many more for practically any organization one can name
    * Inspiring and positive vision for the future
    * Thought leadership in regards to hiring, diversity, transparency, and continuous improvement
    * A diverse, global, social, and truly fun team

Cons

Challenges of course do exist, as they do in any fast-growing company in a highly competitive market. The rate of growth and change is rapid and constant, and the company is racing to stay one step ahead. Expectations are high. Good teamwork, communication, and at times, patience and perseverance, are required. The open-source world is both open and chaotic, perhaps why also exciting and limitless.

Advice to Management

Stay true to the vision of being steadfastly caring, principled, open, and connected to the community, even as you achieve greater success.

2. "Sales Development Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in London, England (UK)

Pros

One of the best company cultures around. Incredibly driven and intelligent people across every department. Products are changing the world, exciting place to work day in day out.

Cons

Absolutely none, no complaints about anything

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and I love the transparency with the whole company

"A missed opportunity"

I have been working at Elastic full-time

Pros

401k matching
    Great health care benefits
    Great product
    Mostly laid-back environment
    Free lunches in many offices
    Fun engineering offsites twice a year

Cons

Becoming just another software company
    Lack of genuine attention to both gender and racial diversity, especially in leadership
    Way too much effort/time required for perception management over actual accomplishment
    Antiquated vacation policy (3 weeks)
    Lack of transparency with promotion and compensation adjustment process
    No attention to career development; management takes it for granted that people will not leave
    Not enough stock option grants

Advice to Management

Recapture the vision from earlier in the life of the company. Hiring people from Salesforce was the biggest mistake. It absolutely destroyed the culture. Some will argue that it's not as bad as if Oracle or IBM people took over. Sure, but there was still a missed opportunity to create a new type of software company with truly unique values. The main challenge for Elastic in the next year or two will be finding a way to keep people excited about working here; and for them not to feel so beat down and defeated from the lack of career development, constant perception management, fighting for raises/option grants, etc.

5. "Best company I have ever worked for..."

Current Employee - Solutions Architect
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect

I have been working at Elastic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Working with talented people makes a nice change
    - Great flexibility between, work and play
    - Very executive team who strive to make the company the best it can be

Cons

- The balance between open source and making money is a tough line to walk along, but Elastic do it pretty well!
    - Some growth pains, but that is expected with such a company, if you need a highly structured environment to work in, this might not be your place.

Advice to Management

Not much, just keep things the way they are!

"advice"

I have been working at Elastic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong technology and there's a great amount of technical resources and talent available to help sales be successful here. People are extremely willing to help one another, even other sales people. Also Elastic seems to have deep pockets with the investors helicoptering around and we're appropriately throwing a lot around and investing in being successful with Elastic Cloud. Overall it's the value of Elastic's brand with our users that continue to make people want to know more. My personal feeling is that Elastic will be a company to be at in the years to come.

Cons

There are cons too, particularly with our SDRs unfortunately but it's not their fault. Other tech companies invest a lot more in their "appointment" or "call" setters because sales development can and is a difficult job for those new to the game. This type of work requires a high volume of activity that can typically only be achieved by staying focused for good stretches of time and many of our current team just do not have the discipline or understand our customers. Its important this support function understand who we as sales reps are speaking. Managers please invest more in this team. It's a critical time in this team's career when they join Elastic. These initial roles will determine their growth trajectory and Elastic's management and their director are just not doing enough for them here to groom them into being sales people.

Advice to Management

Engage with our sales dev employees with career development tools so there will be opportunities available within the company for them. In particular mgmt. can do a better at guiding this team of employees to deliver high-quality leads to us in sales.

7. "Amazing Company, team, culture and results"

Current Employee - Sales in Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Current Employee - Sales in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I have been working at Elastic full-time

Pros

This company is build by great people for great people, if you want to make a difference, learn from top executives, work with amazing technology, amazing customers in a unique culture Elastic should be your #1 place to work.

Cons

With the hyper growth, there is little time to formal performance reviews, career planning etc. If your looking for a "structured" career path Elastic is not your company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the good stuff, The people and culture are what make Elastic unique, as we continue to grow to a 500+ people company finding the right people to keep this culture gonna be more challenging. Keep your focus on hiring for quality and fit not to fill position.

"Challenging & Rewarding. Having fun"

Current Employee - Sales in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales in Mountain View, CA (US)

I have been working at Elastic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, smart, fun.

I can see decisions being made that have the long game in mind.

My work is making a difference.

Expectations of performance and quality is high...which is fine by me.

Some recent internal promotions have been great to see.

Leadership cares and wants to hear new ideas and to challenge old thinking.

Cons

A distributed company can be hard to work for. Don't get me wrong, the cultural diversity is a fantastic benefit but, time zone differences, a 24x7 business, emails or Slack instead of calls or hallway conversations add another level of time / work.

Advice to Management

Elastic has an unbelievable opportunity now and in the future. Keep pushing us and yourself. Thank you.

"Working at Elastic is fun, challenging, and stress-free"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Pros

* Smart, friendly, caring (for each other and for their work) coworkers
    * Emphasis on teamwork
    * Full transparency from top to bottom
    * Pragmatic, down-to-earth principles
    * The founders and executive team are accessible, vocal, and back up their words with actions

This might sound like Kool-Aid to you... but it isn't. This isn't a cult-like company where you buy into it and become a true believer. You're an individual with your own life and interests -- and working at Elastic is a two-way street. We're all fully-formed adults and Elastic is a sum of all of our contributions.

Cons

Hard to come up with any!

* I remember management had to let some people go once... but they were given the chance to write a goodbye email to their coworkers and it was as amicable and mutually-respectful a parting as I've ever seen. Afterwards, the responsible individuals explained their criteria for making these kinds of difficult decisions and opened themselves up to questions about the process.
    * Since we're a fully distributed company, it may take some getting used to if you haven't worked in a similar situation before, but everyone is here to support new hires and help them become successful.
    * Some products have significant technical debt (which is apparent from checking them out on GitHub), but we're all aware of it and are working hard to reduce it.

Advice to Management

Thank you for everything you do. Keep up the amazing work.

"Very Poor Management"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Elastic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working remotely is a big plus! Though flexibility and trust is not always there as a result. The employees themselves are very good people, and I thoroughly enjoyed my time with them. I also got a chance to met many great people outside of the company.

Cons

The management is among the worst I've seen. They are all very young, and can at times be disrespectful to others. It also seems that projects stay in a perpetual state of chaos. This is probably due to the poor technical leadership of inexperienced engineering managers.

There have also been a number of layoffs, so company morale hit a low point when I decided to leave. There is much uncertainly about the companies future.

The distributed teams can be challenging as well. It's great to work from home, but you pay the price with constant monitoring and distrust from management... even if you're doing a stellar job.

The salary and benefits are also lower than most employees would prefer.

Advice to Management

Consider professional management training.

11. "Sales"

Pros

Great products
    Great organisation
    Great potential
    Great colleagues

Cons

limited personal support
    limited eye for employee succes due to high scaling focus

Advice to Management

don't have one cookie cutter for all region's, personalise on market