Elastic Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Full-timePart-time

4.2
Shay Banon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "commercial plugins model seems to be the best combination to make an open source business successful" (in 24 reviews)

• "A huge benefit is the ability to work from home regardless of where you live" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Sometimes, there is no work-life balance anymore" (in 9 reviews)

• "It no longer is a place for curious individuals who wish to make a difference in the open source world" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Amazing"

I worked at Elastic full-time

Pros

People are all nice. There is team dynamics. You will learn a lot from your peers and your work.

Cons

Prone to burnout. A lot of times need to work over time. Sometimes, there is no work-life balance anymore.

2. "Go To Market Operations"

Current Employee - Sales Operations in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Operations in Mountain View, CA (US)

I have been working at Elastic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are fantastic to work with and very helpful. The culture is very inclusive and considerate of all points of views.

Cons

Have to work across multiple time zones.

"Toxic Leadership"

I worked at Elastic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

strong product, distributed company, compensation & benefits

Cons

The sales team feels as if it's a boys' club. Senior Leadership will push for demotions that are unrelated to performance but rather due to ethically compromising reasons. During my time here, I've reached out to HR/leadership a number of times about discriminatory remarks made by two members of the executive leadership team about myself - the company took no action to mediate the situations but rather made excuses such as they're "working on educating the senior leadership team". I've had to seek legal counsel more than once while employed here.

Advice to Management

You pride yourself on diversity and inclusion yet your senior leaderships' actions speak otherwise. Practice what you preach.

"If You Like Micromanagement"

I have been working at Elastic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, good product, smart people.

Cons

Elastic has the potential to be the best place to work however, that ideal quickly dissipates as the reality of micromanagement sets in. I can concur with a previous review that micromanaging is rampant and growing. work life balance is non-existent. Advice to potential employees. Probe during your interview to see what kind of team you will be joining. Get as much information as possible before making a decision.

Advice to Management

Define the culture, be selective on choosing leaders that have the same values as Elastic.

5. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Information Security Manager in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Information Security Manager in Mountain View, CA (US)

I have been working at Elastic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Career growth / Opportunities
    - Intelligent people
    - Salary
    - Stock
    - Remote working
    - Actively recruiting
    - Offsite meets

Cons

- Lots to do!
    -Distributed workforce
    - Can't fill positions fast enough :)

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are, keep focused on employees wellbeing and they will help this company grow!

"Pretty perfect"

Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Elastic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Distributed work environment. Policy of giving everyone the benefit of the doubt and assuming the best of your co-workers. Talented, ambitious, driven teams and yet humble teams. Experienced management. Hot market, cool technology, what seems to be a once in a lifetime work at a unicorn opportunity.

Cons

Pace of learning is fast (this could be a Pro also). Pace of business is relentless (again could be a Pro). We are growing very quickly and the convivial, collegiate, inclusive culture which is a phenomenal thing to be a part of, can generate an enormous amount of non-transactional communication.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Double down on developing your employees. Keep attracting the best. Keep pushing. Look inward for promotions there's a lot of talent on the team.

7. "8 Weeks In, If you care about org culture this is the place!"

Current Employee - Sales Order Ops in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Order Ops in Mountain View, CA (US)

I have been working at Elastic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) Culture from top down is organizational nirvana. Don’t just take my word for it, read it for yourself (yes it’s published as the “elastic source code” just to give you an idea of how real it is).

2) Open Source .

3) The culture inspires collaboration which includes disagreements in a collegial manner.

Cons

1) Every org has an opportunity to recognize how it can improve.

2) With growth comes fear of growth from losing the culture and follow the sun distributed model leads to WW schedules.

3) Upside to working hard. It should be noted Elastic offers the flexibility to drop and pick up your kids from school and actually be present in their lives (Have a cat/dog/kid who wants to sit on your lap during a conf call it’s all good! Need to bring your kid into work, there is a game room in Mtn View — upsides to the con)!

5) It’s a late stage you will work hard (builders welcome) not sure this is a con if you really love building. Upside is weekends are downtime for the most part.

Advice to Management

Great job on scaling and focusing on the “humble and ambitious.” #thanku

"Still in Love"

Current Employee - G&A in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - G&A in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Elastic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The growth here has been insane and there are certainly shifts that need to occur. However, this is not a negative in my opinion. Cultures have to adapt and change, so seeing all of these new faces who bring new perspectives and ideas make me even more excited to see what’s to come. In response to the reviews about micromanagement, I have to disagree. I am treated as a professional all the time. I manage my own calendar. Yes, I may have to take a call earlier or later than if I was in an office but I am also afforded the opportunity to see my kids if I have a break, head to a doctor if needed without taking time off and other huge perks which I value.
    - The people here are truly top notch. I am lucky to now know individuals I consider friends across almost all continents
    - I truly do believe in our products and trajectory. I’m not a technical person, but I still think what we do is awesome

Cons

I honestly cannot think of any worth writing

Advice to Management

I say continue doing what you’re doing. We cannot stay small forever and evolving is part of life. Can’t wait to see what the future brings

"As long as you like Kool-Aid..."

Current Employee - Tech Lead in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Tech Lead in Mountain View, CA (US)

I have been working at Elastic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is decent and the products generally fill a current market need. The quality of most of the staff is a little above average.

Cons

There is no room for any personal ambition or ideas that fall outside of those that come from the "inner circle". As long as you drink your daily dose of Kool-Aid, bow in worship to Shay (CEO) and keep your mouth shut(!!!), all will be well.

However, if you dare to voice your own ideas, even if they are clearly a significant step forward, be prepared to become a future ex-employee. It has happened too many times to ignore, and at all levels of the organization.

Many of us simply do that. We keep our head down and collect our paycheck until we find our next role. Hopefully that will be at a place that truly values our contributions.

Advice to Management

You say on your website: "No need to invest neurons trying to fit an arbitrary mold. We’d rather you put them to work shaping Elastic."

It sounds nice, but you need to really start to live it.

"Downhill Fast"

I have been working at Elastic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting product, smart people, competitive pay.

Cons

This company is not what it was a year ago. As it gears to go public, it has added many people to the organization.

New additions to the organization shake up the culture. Elastic's roots are dissipating. It no longer is a place for curious individuals who wish to make a difference in the open source world.

The notable change has been a shift toward micromanagement. People who are considering joining the organization must be aware that everything you do all day will be tracked and used against you. We are distributed by design, which in theory is beautiful. However, in reality you will actually lose a great deal of autonomy.

Be prepared for people to talk behind your back. Transparency is not common. You will be punished for trying to do the right thing. Favoritism is rampant.

Advice to Management

Go back to our roots and values as an organization. Our rapid growth has caused us to forget our commitment to our users. Employees understand that with autonomy comes responsibility. Invest more in making sure that employees are happy.