Elastic Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 14 February 2019

4.1
Shay Banon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "commercial plugins model seems to be the best combination to make an open source business successful" (in 24 reviews)

• "Work life balance is okay, not horrible - there are days when you have to put in some extra time due to timezones (distributed)" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Sometimes, there is no work-life balance anymore" (in 9 reviews)

• "The balance between open source and making money is a tough line to walk along, but Elastic do it pretty well" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Still in Love"

Current Employee - G&A in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - G&A in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Elastic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The growth here has been insane and there are certainly shifts that need to occur. However, this is not a negative in my opinion. Cultures have to adapt and change, so seeing all of these new faces who bring new perspectives and ideas make me even more excited to see what’s to come. In response to the reviews about micromanagement, I have to disagree. I am treated as a professional all the time. I manage my own calendar. Yes, I may have to take a call earlier or later than if I was in an office but I am also afforded the opportunity to see my kids if I have a break, head to a doctor if needed without taking time off and other huge perks which I value.
    - The people here are truly top notch. I am lucky to now know individuals I consider friends across almost all continents
    - I truly do believe in our products and trajectory. I’m not a technical person, but I still think what we do is awesome

Cons

I honestly cannot think of any worth writing

Advice to Management

I say continue doing what you’re doing. We cannot stay small forever and evolving is part of life. Can’t wait to see what the future brings

"Strong team, tons of momentum, getting better every day"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager

I have been working at Elastic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Elastic is comprised of smart, hard-working people who don't take our success for granted. They put an extraordinary amount of trust in their employees and they give them a lot of responsibility. I'm impressed by my coworkers and glad to work here. The internal systems here create a lot of transparency into projects and accountability at a personal level.

Cons

It took me some time to get into my groove, particularly in figuring out how to filter down the high number of email notifications I receive within my role so that I only see the information that's most relevant to my projects. My advice to anyone new: we've all been there so don't be afraid to ask questions.

Advice to Management

I appreciate how open and direct the executive team is but you'll preserve the goodwill of your employees if you're consistently mindful of the fact that most mistakes aren't made due to a lack of good intentions.

"A home you can be proud of"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer

I have been working at Elastic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I absolutely love working at Elastic. My recruiting and interview process was the best-organized and, frankly, most delightful experience I've had in my twenty-five year career. (Thanks, Anne!)

The people at Elastic from the CEO on down really do care about your experience of working at the company and it's hard not to be reminded of that every day. I hope to work for Elastic for years and years to come.

Cons

Luckily, I'm experienced with distributed teams but those who aren't might want to think seriously about whether or not Elastic is the right choice. For some people it aligns with the way they naturally work but for others, it's a potential challenge.

"Keep your mouth shut and follow your boss"

I have been working at Elastic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good salary
    - Good products
    - Smart people

Cons

- If you complain something to HR or senior managers, you’ll be in a list of future ex-employees.
    - Remote workers are less likely to be recognized as a “Good performer”
    - US centric culture
    - Promotions and award recognition is decided how much you “Liked” by managers.

Advice to Management

If their Source Code which mentions about diversity,equity and distributed doesn’t exist,perhaps tolerable.

5. "The best"

Current Employee - Video Editor in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Video Editor in Mountain View, CA (US)

Pros

Elastic is a great company with great culture. People here is down to earth and very reliable.

Cons

So far there are not any “Cons” comments.

Advice to Management

Keep it going.

6. "SE"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I have been working at Elastic full-time

Pros

Very Elastic to work, lots of freedom

Cons

feel lonely sometimes and feel less connected

7. "Great company, great product, awesome culture"

I have been working at Elastic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Amazing product - just talk to anyone in the IT space
    - Remote working
    - Lots of flexibility and trust in employees
    - Growing at a crazy pace, it keeps things exciting!
    - Very down to earth and approachable leadership that likes to get involved , they're just one Slack message or email away.
    - Lots of career opportunities esp due to the fast growth, I've seen so many internal moves/promotions in the time I've been here.
    - ESTC stock is performing great! $$$ for all of us :)

Cons

- Messy hours due to the global nature of the company - early morning/ late night calls to connect with the rest of the team. It can be difficult to draw the line between work and life.
    - We can get a bit resource strapped because there's so much to do but not enough people to do them.

Advice to Management

Keep the Elastic culture alive - we're unique because of our distributed culture and because we treat everybody like adults. Don't let that change as the company expands!

"Hypocrites"

I have been working at Elastic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great products and technology that have a lot of runway.

Cons

There's so much talk about culture, yet it's such a toxic culture. Senior management has a bad habit of shaming people who question them or their leadership and shuts them down in public in front of everyone. This creates a culture where everyone is a "yes man (or woman)" and people are afraid to say what they really believe.

Management lives in a bubble where even though they get survey feedback saying people are afraid to speak up due to fear of negative consequences, they don't understand why people aren't giving them honest feedback.

Advice to Management

Quit and give other people the opportunity to run the company.

"Run by morons"

I have been working at Elastic full-time

Pros

Good salary, benefits and opportunity to travel abroad.

Cons

The sales development manager to whom I reported was nothing short of a moron. Favoritism is rampant, bigotry is the order of the day and many other issues persist. This said person is extremely narcissistic. This manager chooses not to develop and help employees, but rather embellish his success at the organization. To anyone considering a career in this incredible field, please be careful working for such a seedy individual. He is clearly abusing his power and authority.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees. Read the surveys, Please do not hide behind layers of management. The CEO has some incredible technology and ideas, but the manager of sales development is a certified nimrod. It's disgusting to see such an incredible organization tolerate such abhorrent individuals impacting the lives of young talent. Please consider revamping the management hiring process.

10. "Software Engineer"

I have been working at Elastic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility
    Good challenges
    Inclusivity
    Friendly colleagues
    Amazing work/life balance

Cons

So far I have not encountered any cons