Elastic Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

4.4
Shay Banon
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • commercial plugins model seems to be the best combination to make an open source business successful (in 22 reviews)

• A huge benefit is the ability to work from home regardless of where you live (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Fortunately the company is good about letting you find your work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• It's to be expected that a small and growing company would face challenges with internal resources to deliver on all of the objectives set out (in 5 reviews)

1. "Amazing Company!"

Current Employee - Education Engineer in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Elastic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's been 1 year to day when I started at Elastic. I love it here! No joke so far it is great. My managers are really caring and go out of there way for you. The company is growing and investing in there employees. I enjoy waking up and help moving this company forward. Please do not loose what makes this company great.

Cons

I really do not have much to say in the way of a con. Maybe more swag lol

Advice to Management

My managers are great! Don't change keep investing in you employees and being humble.

2. "Great Opportunity!"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Elastic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Elastic is a rocket ship and I've learned more than I can imagine in my 3 years.

Cons

There aren't many cons. I think we could do a better job of connecting remote employees with senior management at corporate HQ.

3. "AMAZING!!!"

I have been working at Elastic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great engineering-first culture
    - Team is knowledgeable, yet humble
    - Amazing benefits!

Cons

Ill update this when I find anything worth reporting

5. "Awesome experience , great company , great people"

Current Employee - Support Engineer in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Support Engineer in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Elastic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee first focus , open communication, opportunities to grow and succeed as an individual. Working from home is an amazing privilege. Excellent focus on diversity.

Cons

There are occasionally some process related issues due to company growth and product maturity however challenges are identified quickly and the company is always looking to improve when challenges occur.

"Half in Half Out"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Elastic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Distributed Company, smart and good people.
    Work from home and remote options, very good for individuals who have a family.
    Work life balance is okay, not horrible - there are days when you have to put in some extra time due to timezones (distributed)
    Ability to contribute ideas and suggestions at so many levels
    Believe that the company has a heart and care not only about making money but care about what's going on in the universe and where they can, they try to make it better.
    The technology is there to be a major player

Cons

The original leadership team doesn't really move the needle forward, and sometimes act and run organization as if we are doing it out of a garage or on a pub crawl.
    Old boys and girls club exist, if you were here from the beginning you are part of those clubs
    No clear and outlined direction or strategy for the organization on how we are going to get there, a lot of numbers, but no strong plan or communication plan to our customers
    No strategic partnerships with any major players in the industry
    Bottom up sales strategy, takes a long time to make impact

Advice to Management

You have a great company, but you need to grow up a bit and start to swim in the big pool.
    While you are all excited about what we have, we have to get customers just as excited and extend our reach more into larger accounts and industries with clear messaging and broaden the scope of contacts and individuals we should be selling to.
    A hoody or tshirt giveaway is fun, but it is not a strategy.
    A developer doesn't make key strategic decisions for an organization, need to position higher with business value

7. "Exceptionally caring, talented and diverse environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA (US)

I have been working at Elastic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I cannot speak highly enough of Elastic, there's so many great things about the company that it's hard to narrow down. It is really easy to talk to anyone in the company (even though we're spread in 30+ countries), it's easy to talk to even C-level executives and nobody acts more important than anyone else. There is a truly honest and open culture, which fosters a community of knowledge sharing and constant learning while striving to make sure that everything is done with top notch quality. No decision is ever made blindly and we always give the deepest detail on the thought process behind them. Because we can hire remote workers globally, we are able to access top notch talent no matter where they are located. This shows whenever you talk to someone about the products, they're always excited and passionate about them both in quality, extent of use cases, and that fact that we keep our core components open source. I know that everybody thinks their company is the greatest, but I honestly cannot find something that I don't love about Elastic and I hope that we're able to stay tight knit and true to our values as we continue to grow rapidly.

Cons

That I didn't find out about Elastic earlier... kidding! There's really not much I can think of to put here. There are certainly pros and cons of having a distributed first company, and while the pros may outweigh the cons you will often wake up to find notes or news from coworkers on the other side of the globe and there is a degree of delay in communication between time zones sometimes (personally, I'm excited to wake up and read what I missed overnight).

Advice to Management

Don't change! Stay true to yourselves and keep it up.

8. "Unparalleled excellence"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Elastic full-time

Pros

People
    * Smart
    * Generous with time, thought, effort
    * Passionate about helping around the world
    * Empowering of underrepresented people
    * Proven record of inclusion

Policy
    * Proven adherence to policies regarding workplace harassment
    * Generous vacation, sick, volunteer, and floating holidays
    * Openness to speak 1-on-1 with C-level people and people at all levels
    * Transparency on all decisions and direction
    * Openness to employment contract compromise

Engineering
    * Flexible work hours and location
    * Great peer reviews of code
    * Emphasis on building each engineer
    * Focus on releasing quality over speed
    * ... and yet code is shipped very fast

Cons

* Love for all my elasticians makes it hard to wait half a year before seeing them.

Advice to Management

:elasticheart:

9. "Engineering"

I have been working at Elastic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Super environment to work in - flexible, supportive

Cons

Highly distributed - it's also a benefit. But with spread out employees comes challenges to keep us all communicating. Elastic does a great job of addressing this.

Advice to Management

stay transparent!

10. "The best company & culture I've seen"

I have been working at Elastic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined the team because I saw that Elastic truly values and trusts their employees, and this has been consistent since I started working with them.

- Remote & flexible work environment is invaluable
    - My manager supports and encourages me -- she's the best manager I've had thus far into my career
    - I admire the leadership here and the direction we are headed as a company
    - I feel that my work is very meaningful

Cons

- As with any start-up, there will be growing pains as a company grows and continues to expand globally.

Advice to Management

- Keep up the great work

"Your experience will depend on your expectations"

I have been working at Elastic full-time

Pros

Decent pay, good health care benefits, (mostly) distributed work culture, unique opportunity to be a part of the next big software company

Cons

Inconsistency of cultures across different groups lead to conflict because of different expectations
    Very stingy with stock options
    Lack of ethnic and gender diversity on executive and management team

Advice to Management

Be more real and honest about who we are as a company. There's a lot of talk about how great the culture is but no one is willing to define what that culture is. Lack of definition, even a high level definition, results in mismatched expectations and conflict from various folks claiming to understand the "culture".

Define a set of core values that everyone in the company adopts, regardless of group, locale, etc. and try to live by them.

Stop calling the company a "startup". It's 5+ years old with 500+ employees. Many levels of management and process. It may feel like a startup to people from IBM, HP, etc. but it's a small to medium sized company, not a "startup".

I had written a more negative review in the past but took it down because many of my critiques had finally been addressed. It's unfortunate it took so long but at least the company was willing to do something after numerous negative Glassdoor reviews saying the same thing. People have been giving feedback on these areas of improvement internally for years but nothing happens until people air it out on Glassdoor, thus affecting the ability to attract talent? Sigh.

There is a lack of genuine effort and desire to have a ethnic and gender diverse management team. It's pretty obvious from the way executives talk about it that they just don't get it. It might be helpful if these mostly white males made an effort to reach out to current non-white employees to get honest feedback on how things could be improved.