GoCardless Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Hiroki Takeuchi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Amazing People!"

I have been working at GoCardless full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people! Throughout the interview process and since joining everyone has been very welcoming and friendly. Everyone is proud to be here which is reflective in how they interact with each other and with new joiners.

There is a fantastic culture and vision and it's been one of the best on-boarding experiences I have had.

Great office and working environment

Cons

None ! Best decision I have made to join a great company.

2. "A place to do work you're proud of, amongst a fantastic team"

I worked at GoCardless full-time

Pros

A lovely, welcoming, and incredibly talented team. The culture empowers you to do work you're genuinely proud of, and pushes you to develop yourself and those around you.

Cons

Hard to think of any, to be honest!

3. "Best career decision I've made"

Current Employee - Middle Management in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Middle Management in London, England (UK)

I have been working at GoCardless full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Challenging work and interesting product - GoCardless is going places
    Operate with integrity and live their values - from the top down both the nicest and brightest people I've worked with
    Fantastic environment, workspace and tech
    Supportive team and leadership

Cons

Non I'd really mention. 6 months in and this is genuinely the best role I've ever had. I would say, it's not somewhere you can hide or coast, everyone is accountable and in turn able to make a huge difference

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

4. "Fab Fab Fab!"

Current Employee - Compliance Administrator in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Compliance Administrator in London, England (UK)

I have been working at GoCardless full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Awesome colleagues
    - Inclusive environment
    - Tons of snacks/food/cakes etc
    - Transparency
    - Fab London office

I found the interview and on-boarding process to be exceptional!
    At every stage I was well informed, and was given feedback.
    When I arrived on my first day (w fellow newbies), I was welcomed and introduced to the wider company over the course of 2 weeks. This was awesome, as it allowed me to absorb everything in bite sized pieces.
    Don't hesitate to apply ! Just do it ! It isn't stuffy, but progressive. Theres no such thing as face time, and theres no ego's lurking about in shady corners. Everyone's lovely and normal :-) Promise!

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

5. "Best place I've worked so far"

I have been working at GoCardless full-time

Pros

- So supportive
    - A sense of autonomy is encouraged in every staff member an it makes you feel very worthwhile.
    - Everyone is super friendly
    - There are tons of perks + social events

Cons

Honestly, I know it sounds cringe, but I haven't experienced any yet.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on.

"Frustrating experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at GoCardless full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance, snacks and nice office

Cons

Superiors are not listening to the input of the employees which can be very frustrating.
    Very chaotic - I did not have a manager for the best of four months. Things are moving super slow within the company.
    The work was not challenging at a and even after repeatedly pointing out this fact nothing changed.

Advice to Management

Managers should listen to their subordinates

"Ok but experience depends on the team"

I worked at GoCardless full-time

Pros

Learning budget
    Good location
    Coffee machines
    Ping pong tables
    Play stations
    Breakfast
    Lots of activities
    Some great people

Cons

I felt like I wasn't learning enough as an engineer. Although I think this depends on the team. There was not much technical challenge in my team and we were doing the same thing over and over again to expand the business globally. A lot of duplicate code and mundane work.

Some great managers but also some quite bad ones.

It's a bit cheeky that they ask you to write a Glassdoor review after the first couple of week's general company onboarding period.

You may not end up in a team and role you were initially interviewed for.

Very hierarchical organisation in my experience. A few people seem to have a lot of power and they essentially rule the company.

There are team values and leaders who enforce and quite honestly manipulate them. Although there are company values on paper, there is no feedback loop to enforce them within a team.

Advice to Management

This is a good company overall. But I think you need to empower employees and democratise decision making.

8. "Interview process"

Current Employee - Customer Support Advocate - WFH - Night Shift in London, England (UK)

I have been working at GoCardless full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The interview process was very thorough which gave me a true chance to know everything about the company and whether my values and aspirations would align with those of the company.

Cons

I am still in the on-boarding process (1st week) and am very happy with everything so far.

9. "Unbelievably Welcoming"

Current Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)

I have been working at GoCardless full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Straight-forward interview process with no unnecessary hoops or challenges that make you feel on edge.

Everybody is so welcoming, management introduce themselves and even the CRO made the effort to track me down and say Hi on my first day.

Flexibility on offer to allow you to balance work and life effectively.

Great tools to be able to do your job and do it well.

Initial training on offer and also development plans that are on offer.

Cons

To be honest I am fairly new and I cant think of any negatives I have experienced, but the one thing I found to be a little sluggish was the time that lapsed from being told you'd progressed to the next stage and then receiving a calendar invite to come in to the office.

Advice to Management

Implement some form of time-frame to decrease the time lapse mentioned above.

"Interesting Times Ahead"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at GoCardless full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. People: The firm is meticulous about hiring the right type of people. Having interviewed over 20 people whilst at the firm, it is clear that the firm places a greater emphasis on hiring the right type (people who embody the firm's culture) of people over people who will be good at the job. The result is an amazing group of people, although this is slightly decreasing in effect as the company scales rapidly. During my period, I saw the company grow from ~50 to 200.

2. Engineering: The company is very engineering oriented, this is both a pro and a con. The pro is a team of talented engineers and product specialists who are able to execute additions to the product in an efficient manner such that in the market where they dominate (U.K.), they face no viable competition.

3. Work/Life Balance: The company does very well in making employees feel comfortable at work (although often at the expense of paying market rate salaries). The office space is amazing, they provide employees with the best tools and generally allow employees to work flexibly.

Cons

1. Middle Management: Middle management at GoCardless tend to be quite young and inexperienced in effectively managing people. Moreover, people are often promoted into middle management positions without displaying real management competency and without adequate training. The net result is that you could easily have your career progression miss-managed and/or have managers who don't understand how to manage people effectively, this is particularly important if you don't fit into the 'typical' mould of a start up employee, e.g. a parent.

2. General Strategy: The company is unlikely to execute its vision of offering the ability to take payments from anyone in any country and in any currency. The regional and operational differences in Direct Debit schemes globally make it virtually impossible to aggregate and integrate each scheme into a single product offered by a single company. Secondly (for several reasons) GoCardless have traditionally struggled to attract the huge companies (think Netflix & Spotify scale) that take recurring payments and would benefit from a global Direct Debit payment network. GoCardless are essentially building a global network which their larger customers will only use to collect funds from say a maximum of 3/4 countries at best.

3. Strategy Execution: The company is in the process of attempting to execute the above and making some mistakes. Primarily becoming extremely bloated, going on a hiring spree (particularly in engineering/product) whilst also aggressively cutting costs. Several hires/positions just don't make sense (e.g. aggressively expanding a marketing department that has yet show it can effectively drive inbound lead traffic), the company is clearly eyeing an exit and in doing so is aggressively cutting its cost base whilst stretching revenue targets into the realm of unrealistic. Startups generally pay a low base, allowing sales people to supplement the base via commissions which are in-turn based on hitting targets. With unrealistic targets linked to pay, the sales team is particularly demoralized.

Advice to Management

-More training for middle-management.
    -Get the marketing working.
    -Be sensitive to allowing hires (with inadequate understanding of the business ) make significant decisions at the firm.
    -Close the disconnect between Engineering/Product and sales.