GoCardless Interview Questions

Updated 26 Feb 2021

To filter interviews, or .

Interviews at GoCardless

Recruitment Agency11%
HardAverageEasy
Found 144 candidate interviews
Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
Application

I interviewed at GoCardless (London, England)

Interview

A screening call with the recruiter. She sounds grumpy and miserable as if she was doing me a favour. The sort of you-need-us-more-than-we-need-you recruitment mentality: what do you know about us, why do you want to work for us, we receive tons of application so we've shortlisted other candidates whose experience suits our requirements better than yours (but at the same time they republish the job ad on LinkedIn lol) 😉

Interview Questions
  • what do you know about us
    Answer Question
Anonymous Interview Candidate in United Kingdom
Application

I interviewed at GoCardless (United Kingdom)

Interview

From the moment I had the phone interview, I knew what the outcome was going to be. The interviewer sounded as if she was bored, and decided to grill into things that didn't matter. Instead of asking about accomplishments, she was fixated on the length of employment on some roles not understanding the current climate we live in. Asking probing questions that had nothing to do with the role or the company itself. The company needs to understand that a candidate especially at this level shouldn't need to know the ins and out of a company at the phone interview stage. They had this superiority complex "You need to dance and sing to prove to us you're worth working here" I've had many interviews and conducted many interviews in my career, and this is by far the worst. Left a bad taste. A company at this level shouldn't behave like a fortune 100. Humility and empathy is key.

Interview Questions
  • What do you think the growth strategy should be on our socials?
Anonymous Interview Candidate in United Kingdom
Application

I interviewed at GoCardless (United Kingdom)

Interview

You have 2 people conducting the interview and they ask you standard questions to begin with and then progress into some role play on the product to see your skills in action.

Interview Questions
  • Walk me through a live example of how you’d handle a phone call from a prospect over the phone.
Anonymous Interview Candidate in United Kingdom
Application

I interviewed at GoCardless (United Kingdom)

Interview

It's basically a list of about 40 engineer trivia questions. I am not sure what the value of this interview is to be honest. It's stated very clearly that I have a backend background on my resume. And about half of the questions were front-end specific. Honestly, if I can solve dynamic programming algorithm questions, would I not be able to quickly pick up the difference between http and http2 after a quick google on MDN? The interviewers were literally sitting there ticking boxes. I personally think it's a very strange way to access a software engineer's ability since our job is to think and not to memorize.

Interview Questions
  • difference between http/http2. bunch of trivia style questions.
Anonymous Interview Candidate in United Kingdom
Application

I applied online. I interviewed at GoCardless (United Kingdom)

Interview

Straight forward - screening with current Technical Recruiter, then two "meet the team" interviews. The interviewer made the process very uncomfortable, had an attitude and left a poor impression from the get-go. The rest of the team made up for it as they all seemed lovely.

Interview Questions
  • Lots of experience based questions, which seemed to be well received by all except the original recruiter.
Anonymous Interview Candidate in United Kingdom
Application

I applied online. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at GoCardless (United Kingdom)

Interview

I interviewed for GoCardless's commercial BU in late 2020/early 2021. Whilst I enjoyed speaking with different employees of the company, there is definitely a room for improvement in the overall candidate experience. The process involved a phone screen with the recruiter, a 1:1 interview with leadership and a case study doc. The doc review/interview had no clear guidance for the candidate, followed an unstructured format and interviewers did not appear to have gone through the assignment that was turned in well in advance. The line of questioning was highly subjective and I got an impression that I was being evaluated based on the interviewers' personal experience of how they approached a piece of work instead of my past performance of operating in a similar role. I would advise the GoCardless managerment to pivot to a more objective interview process to provide a postive candidate experience and build a better mechanism to evalute condidates.

Interview Questions
  • Very generic funtional questions prone to interviewers subjectivity.
Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at GoCardless (London, England)

Interview

- One interview with the regional sales manager - One interview with the presales lead - One presentation - One meeting with randomly selected Gocardless employee to assess your ability to match with their coporate culture

Interview Questions
  • Your industry knowledge and ability to sell a technical product
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Australia
Application

I interviewed at GoCardless (Australia)

Interview

There were lots of steps which originally seemed to be ordered but the process didn't feel very personal, all emails scheduling next interviews were generic with no recognition of prior convos, all templates, despite having gone through a couple rounds. Put me off a bit as things kept getting rescheduled, interrupted while in the middle of phone interview etc. Didnt end up continuing due to covid.

Interview Questions
  • Write an essay on whether google glass is a good product
Anonymous Interview Candidate in United Kingdom
Application

I interviewed at GoCardless (United Kingdom)

Interview

Applied online and was invited to interview two weeks after. The HR lady laughed when I thought I got the job when she called me. The manager was very cold and seemed like she was forced to be there.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at GoCardless (London, England) in Jan 2021

Interview

1. Approached by the recruiter on hired. 2. Quick call to go through my cv. 3. 45-60 minutes Q&A interview about general topics about web, browsers, databases etc.. 4. Debugging + System design interview. 5. Coding interview. 6. Values fit interview. Overall, their interview process was easy but verbose and repetitive. - The Q&A interview was the least interactive one, just questions and answers without any follow up. - The coding interview question was a 2 page PDF file, which was easy but just painful to ready and implement when you have 45 minutes to do so while also explaining what you're doing to 2 engineers on the call. - Debugging and system design interview topic was a web crawler, it was easy and fun. - The values fit interview is done by 2 people who are not technical and didn't seem very senior which was odd to me, but it was fine overall. Few days later, I received this email from the recruiter: "Thanks so much for coming to meet with the team. You have a great background but unfortunately we won't be offering you a role with GoCardless at this time. We'd like to offer you a feedback call to go over your interview in more detail - is this something you'd be interested in? Let me know if so, and I'll arrange it for you. Thanks again for your interest in GoCardless, and best of luck with any other applications." He offered to share detailed feedback in a call but I asked him to share it via email first, will update this review once he does.

Interview Questions
  • Q&A interview Media queries The @media rule is used in media queries to apply different styles for different media types/devices. Media queries can be used to check many things, such as: • width and height of the viewport • width and height of the device • orientation (is the tablet/phone in landscape or portrait mode?) • resolution HTTP caching - 304 not modified - cache control: no cache - cache control: no store Cookies vs local storage Cookies and local storage serve different purposes. Cookies are primarily for reading server-side, local storage can only be read by the client-side. So the question is, in your app, who needs this data — the client or the server? If it's your client (your JavaScript), then by all means switch. You're wasting bandwidth by sending all the data in each HTTP header. If it's your server, local storage isn't so useful because you'd have to forward the data along somehow (with Ajax or hidden form fields or something). This might be okay if the server only needs a small subset of the total data for each request. You'll want to leave your session cookie as a cookie either way though. As per the technical difference, and also my understanding: 1. Apart from being an old way of saving data, Cookies give you a limit of 4096 bytes (4095, actually) — it's per cookie. Local Storage is as big as 5MB per domain — SO Question also mentions it.
 2. localStorage is an implementation of the Storage Interface. It stores data with no expiration date, and gets cleared only through JavaScript, or clearing the Browser Cache / Locally Stored Data — unlike cookie expiry.
 CDN - Write through reverse proxy - Geographically closer to the end user - in case of a cache miss fetch from origin CORS - Same origin policey - Access control allow origin - By default it is always same origin TLS https://www.internetsociety.org/deploy360/tls/basics/ API authentication HTTP2 vs HTTP Protocol negotiation mechanism — protocol electing, eg. HTTP/1.1, HTTP/2 or other. High-level compatibility with HTTP/1.1 — methods, status codes, URIs and header fields. Page load speed improvements trough: Compression of request headers Binary protocol HTTP/2 Server Push Request multiplexing over a single TCP connection Request pipelining HOL blocking (Head-of-line) — Package blocking Api authenticate/authorisation - Access token + refresh token - Auth2.0 Store a password Security vulnerabilities Database indexes, partitioning, sharding, join - Index -> balanced tree, faster lookup - sharding -> splitting the db into multiple instances - partitioning -> splitting the db into multiple databases in the same instance How would you add authentication to an API - auth 2.0 - access token + refresh token - openid How would you store a password - strong hashing function b-crypt How would you reload a cached CSS file that has changed since it was cached - add tagging every time to compile assets - must validate (no cache header?) List some security vulnerabilities you know What is database partitioning/sharding What is a database index and how is it useful What is a database join used for and what are the different types of join
  • Debugging + System design: We wrote a simple (single-threaded) web crawler. Given a starting URL, it visits every reachable page. For each page, it determines the URLs of every static asset (images, javascript, stylesheets) on that page. The crawler returns a list with an entry for each crawled page and a listing of URLs for the assets found in that page.
  • Coding interview: Given 2 Apis one that returns a list of merchants and another that returns merchant transactions, calculate payouts and apply discount rule.
Viewing 1 - 10 of 144 Interviews