Harrods Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 16 Jan 2020

3.4
Harrods Managing Director Michael Ward
Michael Ward
Pros
  • "Staff discount is great, 33% across the store(in 85 reviews)

• "Good discount, met some great people, a good company set up(in 46 reviews)

1. "Sales Assistant"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at Harrods part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Good work environment - Incredible clothes and items

Cons

- Long work hours - especially if you commute

2. "."

Former Employee - Corporate Store Manager in Thatcham, England

I worked at Harrods full-time for less than a year

Pros

33% discount after 12 weeks people are lovely

Cons

the work is repetitive, can become boring

Harrods2020-01-15
  3. "Decent"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I worked at Harrods full-time for less than a year

Pros

Experience, career positive Environment, Staff Canteen, Location, located in London Brand , Cloak Room

Cons

Late Hours, Standing all day, Lack of staff lounge for breaks,

Advice to Management

Sales Associate should be provided with Chairs to sit on and not stand all day. They can arise from their seats to attend to customers.It also looks more glamorous . Please do provide seats for your employees.

4. "A good experience"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at Harrods full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good discount, met some great people, a good company set up

Cons

A lot of company politics, hard for internal progression

Harrods2020-01-03
  5. "N/A"

Former Employee - Stock Operative in Knightsbridge, England

I worked at Harrods full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits are great in the building.

Cons

Management could be better but not so bad.

Harrods2020-01-12
  6. "Sales"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in London, England

I have been working at Harrods part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Bonus and delegating tasks accordingly

Cons

Long shifts can be tiring

Advice to Management

Have a wider outlook or perspective

Harrods2019-12-28

"Unorganized and poorly managed department"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Knightsbridge, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Harrods full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good team support develop interpersonal skills staff discount Business allowance for clothing

Cons

Unorganised department with no real goals Very patronising management No time for personal life Incredibly high turnover of staff: 20 new people in one year in a team of 30. Constantly changing. No one learns anything and this provides terrible and embarrassing customer service to the customer in front of you.

Advice to Management

value team members more so that actually stay on. be available whilst on cover so that you’re reachable if an issue arises.

Harrods2020-01-07
  8. "Outstanding and engaging business"

Current Employee - Head of Retail Projects in Knightsbridge, England

I have been working at Harrods full-time

Pros

Inclusive, working hard to modernise, focused and passionate

Cons

Always seek to be progressive in an ever changing retail market - not a con, just a focus

Advice to Management

Keep progressing and modernising

Harrods2019-12-16
  9. "Great"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Harrods part-time for less than a year

Pros

Staff are well looked after

Cons

Your shift times change constantly

Harrods2019-12-13
  10. "DO NOT WORK HERE IF YOU RESPECT & VALUE YOUR MENTAL HEALTH!!"

Former Employee - Marketing & Communications in Hammersmith, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Harrods full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Work with some the best brands in the world -Flexi Time (Where you could take back overtime and arrive/leave 2 hours late/early on another day with your managers approval)

Cons

I have worked for a number of highly respected high-net worth international brands & companies both in the UK and abroad and I can say Harrods by far has been the most appalling company I have ever put my foot in. I would describe my whole experience in this disgusting company horrid. I would sincerely advise anyone who has self-respect and value for themselves as an individual and professional to turn any job down for Harrods- unless major changes are made. Please note I am a very fair person and positive person and I am writing this review to warn anyone who is considering accepting this role in this company that it is a very toxic environment filled with unhappy people. So many people’s mental health were affected in this company whilst I was there, mine included. I WOULD ADVISE NOT TO BOTHER WITH THE ONE LINER REVIEWS ON GLASSDOOR- WOULDN’T BE SURPRISED IF HARRODS ARE WRITING THEM TO KEEP THEIR RATINGS UP. Please see below all the cons from my time in Harrods Head Office in the Marketing & Communications department. -In late 2017 with a new arrival of management in the Marketing & Communication department saw around 48/50 either leave the business or been made redundant for no valid reason. I have come across a people in two different companies recently referred to this management ‘evil’. It just shows how Harrods has kept ‘evil’ and have let go so many well respected professionals. Speaks a lot about the company. -During my time in the company I have seen people run out the office crying from horrible managers, people taking time off work because of stress, there was one girl lost so much weight and had rashes on her arms because she was so stressed from the workload. The new management did not once ask anyone if they were okay, thank people for their hard work, or showed any empathy. -I will never forget when they tried to make a loyal employee of 8 years redundant without wanting to give her pay. -The company is VERY hierarchical. People work so hard with passion on their jobs and managers can in a second change everything without reason. Be prepared to just execute execute execute and then quickly change to everything because time, a very senior member of staff wants to. -It is not a company if you want to present new ideas for its own benefit to grow and do well. I tried many times to present new ideas for the store and marketing campaigns. Unlike other department stores which are booming right now with innovative marketing and ideas. -Do not expect a pay rise. There is no such thing. You can try but it’s not heard of. If you are to accept a job than go in with a high salary because unless you get a promotion (which is very difficult too) than you need to be content to have your salary for a good few years. There were people in the company who were on the same salary after 5 years- appalling. -Promotions are very difficult. I don’t know why but the company has always seemed to have a culture of not promoting people within. They happily will recruit from external for a new managers job but wouldn’t consider developing their own staff to progress. -There is massive blame culture. It never feels you’re all one team and work and succeed together, and learn from failing together. -There is so much whispering in the office it’s TOXIC!! I have never worked with such immature girls in an office. I find it disgusting that there were women in their 30s whispering as if they were 15 year old girls. Mainly whispering about other colleagues and how they dislike the company. I think no matter how bad a situation one should never whisper in a professional environment. -Everyone seems miserable. Honestly as a positive person who tries to live a fulfilling life I found it sad how everyone seemed so unhappy. I’m not surprised, the HR failed a number of times to help many people out with difficult managers and situations. Again this is because the company is hierarchical and no matter how many complaints a manager gets it doesn’t matter. -The HR is known to be amateur. I have come across a few people outside Harrods and they have said that the HR are not professionally trained and qualified in their roles and that is the reason of the failing of the company. This does make sense. If you don’t have a HR that works for the people of the company, than don’t expect a company for the people. Please note this is just something I have heard, but from personal experience the HR is not great. I have raised concerns a number of times of bad behaviour and being treated unlawfully in the company which they turned a blind eye to. The senior HR members need training or replacing. -TERRIBLE EQUIPMENTS. The equipments are nearly as bad as the Senior management & HR. Do not expect to find a new PC. They are all old PC with the worst internet connection I have experienced in any office. My local internet café is a dream compared to Harrods head office. The Knightsbridge office is worst than Hammersmith office with really old furniture. The company makes profit but doesn’t put anything back in the company. They only introduced free tea & coffee to staff under a year ago -If you love working in a company with a modern culture with payday drinks, social events and team bonding activities than I would advise you to stay far from Harrods. The office is pitch silence with no atmosphere- I am not over exaggerating. That was the first thing I noticed when I first joined and thought/hoped it would improve, it didn’t. If you however enjoy a more university library work environment than Harrods would be for you. Overall a toxic environment, terrible management, poor HR and really just standing on it’s name now. Times have moved forward but Harrods office culture is stuck in the 60s. You deserve better. Dear HR please do not reply to this review asking me for further feedback. I would advise to spend time changing the company and helping the staff instead of putting time in reading/writing/replying to glassdoor reviews.

Advice to Management

-Do 2 way performance reviews for the employees and their manager so they both can see how they can improve -If so many employees in a team leave the business than investigate why and take action immediately. It's best to keep the work environment free from toxic people. -Encourage ideas sharing, learning & listening -Reward hardworking and passionate staff with appraisals, raises and promotions. -Improve the office equipment and internet -Encourage team building and bonding in the office- eliminate blame culture -Be a more empathetic company

Found 676 reviews