OfficeMax Reviews

Updated 11 May 2021

OfficeMax Chief Executive Officer Gerry Smith
Gerry Smith
Pros
Cons
  • "Periodically firing all old officemax managers when office depot took over(in 115 reviews)

• "Upper management, understaffed, constant turnover(in 64 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Was ok"

Current Employee - Store Associate in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly teams, flip a coin for very nice customers

Cons

Often out of stock and nothing i can do about it, flip a coin for irate customers

2. COVID-19

"Felt doomed to fail in the print center"

Former Employee - Print Services Advisor

I worked at OfficeMax part-time for less than a year

Pros

Coworkers were good folk and 3/4 of the managers were quite good at my location. If you're competent and confident as a print associate here, you could probably go on to work a better-paying job at a print store. Your work feels meaningful because you develop key relationships with local businesses who do their printing with you. Operating the print equipment is really neat and fun, though it's pretty daunting to be responsible for equipment that is probably worth close to your gross annual wages. You get to be very inventive with the solutions you come up when creating a customer's print order.

Cons

My mental health plummeted while working here. It's quite stressful and customer rushes are unpredictable even by retail standards. Constant equipment failures and virtually zero time to contact the support line. The self-service printers are buggy, terrible, awful garbage. You're responsible for way too much, even for retail standards — this is where the "doomed to fail" part comes in. There's approximately ten trillion different programs and websites and services you're expected to navigate (each usually with a different, unique login). Some of the custom ordering options are hidden to the point where even my very experienced and capable supervisor didn't know close to the full catalog of what we could do. It's inefficient and takes months to learn. It makes it impossible to receive support from non-print associates, too, which you NEED during a rush, though more cross-training and actual experience in the print center would help mitigate this. At my store, the print center was constantly busy but probably still not profitable enough to schedule two people. There was almost never enough time to take my 15 minute rest break. Some days I didn't even really have time to stop and drink water. Bear in mind this is during the pandemic, so that also means we wouldn't ever have time to frequently disinfect surfaces customers come into contact with, like the self-serve printers or the counters or pinpad. You're responsible for the FedEx part of the store, too, and once again the program for making FedEx orders is complete garbage and unique to OfficeDepot-OfficeMax, so it's completely incompatible with things like the QR codes that retailers tell you FedEx can scan to print your label, and there's no way to explain that to a customer that doesn't make them want to blow a gasket. You'll basically do the work of three people, as a part-time hourly associate, in a store that's short-staffed and anti-union, and it's impossible to get support unless another print associate is serendipitous-ly scheduled in another part of the store and can give you backup.

Continue reading

3. "Union Busting, Avoid At All Costs"

1.0
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at OfficeMax part-time

Pros

Manager was friendly and helpful

Cons

Incredibly poor pay, barely above minimum wage Company has been found to be union busting across many locations, does not care for worker rights or safety

4. "good if your store is a busy one"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Lead in Madison, WI

I worked at OfficeMax full-time for more than a year

Pros

i loved the job when i was at a big store because i spent most of my time as a tech but when i was moved to another store i was just a cashier with tech title vacation time was awesome

Cons

was not the best pay and they made you sign people up for stuff they did not neew

5. COVID-19

"It was Corporate Retail"

Former Employee - Copy and Print Specialist in Michigan City, IN

I worked at OfficeMax part-time for more than a year

Pros

You got a bit of autonomy working the print department

Cons

customers knew that if they were aggressive enough a manager would give them a discount. Made the job 100% harder. Schedule always was posted late. They didn't change anything for Covid.

6. "Miserable Experience"

1.0
    Current Employee - Impress Associate in Houston, TX
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time for less than a year

Pros

Was usually able to get day off requests accepted. Nice general store manager.

Cons

Petty and gossipy lower management and coworkers, little to no training, majorly underpaid for the work expected, understaffed, no one in store was crosstrained so the line would pile up and other staff and management would act clueless. Constantly breaking machines making work nearly impossible some days.

Continue reading
  7. "Hard work, low compensation."

2.0
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at OfficeMax part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you're lucky, coworkers are good people.

Cons

Low pay, low hours, short staff all the time, you work every position not just the one given, and it's retail.

8. "Good Part Time Job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in DeKalb, IL

I worked at OfficeMax part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible scheduling hours depending on availability Good management

Cons

Pay could be a little better

9. "Fast paced"

Former Employee - Associate in Albany, NY

I worked at OfficeMax full-time for more than a year

Pros

always moving never standing around. You won't get board

Cons

never get job reviewed. Supervisor pushed off reviewing me.

10. "Good Sales Job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at OfficeMax full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent Wages - above minimum wage

Cons

The training could have been more extensive

Viewing 1 - 10 of 2,142 Reviews