Paycom Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Pros
Cons
  • PTO first year, work life balance (in 41 reviews)

• This job involves hard work - especially while you are in training (in 25 reviews)

"Great perks from the outside, growing pains on the inside"

Current Employee - Team Support Specialist
    Current Employee - Team Support Specialist

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is my first job out of school, and I can honestly say it's not terrible. There are plenty of good benefits and perks, which is a nice gesture on Paycom's part. I have met some great people and it is absolutely a young, energetic culture. Some people absolutely love it here, and that is great for them. If you have an aggressive, determined personality and desire above all else to be at the top (how you get here is irrelevant) and make as much money as possible, you will likely thrive at Paycom. As someone who values genuine relationships (especially with my superiors) and wants to feel invested in and valued by my company, I have learned that Paycom is not the best place for this.

Cons

The starting pay is really not great at all. I could have gone anywhere else out of college and made nearly twice as much as I make here, but I took at chance as I was lured in with promises of promotions, raises, and opportunities to move around and try as many positions as I desired! I quickly learned this wasn't the case-I didn't even have the option to level up for a year, and moving positions/departments is certainly not an option-unless you're friends with upper management that is. Otherwise, any expression of dissatisfaction will result in performance improvement plans, empty promises of "talking to management", and even termination (this is what I have observed, not experienced personally). There is a ton of turnover, probably due to targeting college grads who have never had a full time job, and then promising dozens of untrue things.
    There are some awful people in leadership. I truly was prepared to love my job, but I had unprofessional TL's who destroyed my optimism. I was told to direct my questions elsewhere or figure it out on my own when coming to TL's with a question, I watched them flirt with members of their team and ignore the rest of the team, I listened to them gossip and make fun of other employees, and I listened as they placed the blame of any negative process onto upper management in order to keep their slate clean. Overall, the relationships were ingenuine and most people (leaders included) had ulterior motives of using you to make themselves look better and move up quicker. The greatest issue I have with the company, though, is the amount of empty words and double standards. There is so much inconsistency across teams and departments that it is always impossible to know what is going on. I have spent weeks working on "urgent, necessary projects" only to finish and realize they were unnecessary because not everyone was on board or informed. This causes constant frustration and unorganization, and quickly breaks trust.

Advice to Management

Please, please pay attention to who you are promoting into leadership positions. Bring in older employees with more life/job experience and level-headed wisdom if needed, as that is greatly lacking within the company. Benefits and perks are fun, but those will not stand the test of time if they are not paired with genuine investment in and authentic relationships with your employees. Be willing to accept criticism and learn from past mistakes. Simply speaking things into being, like saying "We Win" over and over again, will not in fact cause the company to "win", at least in the long run. Everyone seems a little too blinded by money and power.

17 Feb 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for sharing your experience. Paycom is committed to building a supportive culture for our employees and we’re sorry to hear that you feel your experience has been otherwise. As a current ... More

2. "Paycom"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paycom is the most amazing company with exceptional leaders. There is plenty of growth opportunity and they compensate you very highly. I have nothing but amazing things to say about Paycom. I am unbelievably grateful to work here.

Cons

I do not have anything even remotely negative to say about Paycom.

Advice to Management

None.

7 Feb 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Paycom.

3. "Hard work is rewarded"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compensation, development, trainings, travel, reaching your potential

Cons

PTO first year, work life balance

3 Feb 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for the review and feedback.

"The Stress of Micromanagemt"

Former Employee - Executive Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Executive Sales Representative

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paycom is truly a great product and the opportunity to make crazy money at a young age is there. The sales offices are full of young and successful people who are great to spend time with. The sales training is amazing, definitely worth my time at Paycom just to go through that program. It really is equivalent to earning a BA in 1 month.

Cons

Expectations change on a weekly basis for sales offices. Every week there is a new metric that you need to hit and a new form of micromanagement to try to push you towards rarely achievable metrics. The "Paycom Standards" are ridiculous. The company vision is "world domination" (words from the CEO) and the sales team is understaffed for the types of numbers that they want offices to hit. You can expect your sales manager to be sitting next to you making sure to critique every phone call you make and not let you spend and extra 5 seconds off in between phone calls. You will be getting text messages and phone calls from the sales manager all day long asking for updates. The management is very young and immature. Everyone fears the CEO. At the end of the day, you just feel like you are getting stomped on by upper management. Once you think you have things figured out and everything is going well, the expectations will change the next week. Ask about the turnover rate for the sales team if you are interviewing for a sales position. Also, the company is going through some growing pains right now. Sales Reps are given too many responsibilities from the transition and client relations team, which is resulting is lower customer satisfaction than advertised because the Sales Reps are only trained to sell, not implement.

Advice to Management

Try to have some consistency. The standards and expectations change every week and it causes the moral to be extremely low. For a company that cares so much about company culture for their clients, the sales offices are treated like dirt.

16 Feb 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for sharing your feedback. The training regime and expectations of the Paycom sales team are both challenging and lofty – by design – and not for everyone. The HR technology software ... More

6. "Great Benefits, But Long Hours"

Former Employee - New Client Setup in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Former Employee - New Client Setup in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team atmosphere and positive company growth. Also, has wonderful benefits like health insurance, catered lunches, retirement, etc.

Cons

In the New Client Setup department it was a lot of long hours. I worked a lot of overtime and several weekends in order to meet the deadlines that were required of us. I had numerous weeks where I was working over 70 hours. That would not have been so bad, if more vacation time had been available, however, I was only allowed 5 vacation days that first year.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, but find ways for your employees to be able to spend more quality time with their families.

16 Feb 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Like many other companies, Paycom has peak periods during the year when we rely and trust our employees to “go the extra mile” and communicate this ... More

"Best Place to Work"

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

Just working there in general is a pro. Everyone is positive and helpful all of the time. They care very much about their employees and go out of their way to make them want to come to work. If you want to be promoted 9 times out of 10 your TL will help you get to where you want to be. Nothing but good things to say.

Cons

There is not a thing that is bad.

31 Jan 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for sharing your experience!

8. "Eleven years of greatness"

Current Employee - Manager - Programming & Data Sciences in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have consulted and worked at 4 other payroll/HCM firms before being at Paycom, and consulted at numerous other financial firms in the mortgage and insurance industry as well. Once I met the ownership and leadership years ago, I knew this was the place I'd want to work for while building a life and building a family.

In 11 years now, both in Dallas and Oklahoma City, Paycom leadership has never let me down. Not once. There's something to be said for that.

The opportunities both to grow and to wear different "hats" inside the organization continually come. Those with a good work ethic and a good business sense are rewarded well, and rewarded on many fronts. I can actually and fully respect my peers here... and fully respect those in high leadership.

The environment is one of collaboration, hearing out ideas, making work fun, encouraging/rewarding innovation, and celebrating diversity.

Cons

Overall, none. Sometimes it seems as though there are a lot of younger hires that get upset that they cannot be promoted numerous times in their first year or two - that is just not realistic.

31 Jan 2017 – Paycom Representative

Wow. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. We're so happy you're happy!

"Avoid this company if you want an employer who values you"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I gave them 2 stars because the technology is really good and proprietary. There are some nice people who work there and the base salary is good.

Cons

This company will lure you in with big money talks and a great base salary. They will tell you that you have to work your butt off for the payoff and they will constantly spit 6 figure salary and huge commission check stories down your throat. However, WARNING: they do not value you as an employee at all and they will fire you for any reason. I was fired with no notice and no options after I chose to be honest about a personal issue, and offered no options though I feel quite strongly the issue could have been resolved and I could have contributed a LOT to the team as a salesperson with a fantastic track record. I was offered no severance. Honestly, it was probably for the best because I could smell fishy all over that office... from the company conference calls trashing people who leave and mocking people who get fired to the office mysteriously needing to change the alarm code all the time because of people "leaving". I'm sure the longer I was there the more red flags would have come up... seriously, at every turn there was some kind of comment about someone getting fired or quitting... Just be aware that they will fire you for any reason--and this does include your sales performance. They want you to make $100k deals and if you don't... boy bye. Trust me, the $70K base salary and the pep talks are NOT worth it.

Advice to Management

You are so pumped up about your product and the opportunity, so how about you value employees? Surely you'll make more money if you actually developed talent and improved retention. Oh, and let go of your grudge with ADP. Capitalism = competition and Paycom would not even exist if it weren't for ADP.

9 Feb 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for your feedback. It’s unfortunate that your experience with Paycom is not what you hoped it would be. While we can’t speak specifically to your situation, we do value our employees and ... More

"Someone who intended to be a long term employee but just couldn't"

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The convenience of $4 lunches, benefits (insurance starts at about $100 a check for a dependent, so the $1 is only for yourself), some of the team leads and most definitely the people that kept me sane.

Cons

Everything that's been put in other reviews is absolutely true. There is hardly any PTO, you are made to feel guilty when you take it. It accrues at a slow rate per checks so you have to save it and never ask off if you want to have multiple days at a time. I had to push for a few unpaid hours to take a single day for my kids since my sitter was ill but watched multiple young girls call in so much they were already taking unpaid time.

I wanted to be there a long time but they expect a ton of overtime out of you with little sympathy for people with families, even with horrible weather. They send an email out about the "nature of their business" needing everyone to be at work but it's weird how none of the managers are there? They will have you working so many hours and get used to the extra money then take it away one morning where you can't clock in early or late and must leave for lunch. Also, if you're one minute late, you are talked to and I've seen people get written up for being 6 minutes late when they gave their team lead notice for it.

You are written up for very small things. Whether it be metrics, positivity, or phone use that's not even to an excess. If work is slow and you have nothing to do, you have to appear to look busy and get glared at for quietly chatting with coworkers for a few minutes. I have been told to not discuss daily work frustrations or "current events" aka- news stories with the people I spend most of my waking hours with.

I've seen people in my own and other departments get fired for things at the drop of a dime without warrant, then management will say they had "plenty of warning and notice" when in fact they didn't, because sometimes those people are your closest friends outside of work so you know it's not true.

The leaders are very young, they have barely any life or work experience, and they take a few training classes, learn how to be "heart or hammer" type of leader and think they are fit for the job. They are usually chosen by who looks and acts the part, who wears blazers and promotes positivity everyday. I have yet to see a tenured, experienced person chosen for a position.

Also, we have NEVER seen the CEO at Paycom. Not once.

Advice to Management

Stop the micromanaging and treating capable employees like children with the monthly "recognition" meetings where the same few people win every time and having adults play games, give more PTO, because we watch all of you take tons of time off, and give bonuses to the groups who carry your company and keep the secrets about the system that you don't want others to know.

17 Feb 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for sharing your review. We also intend for every employee to be a “long-term employee.” The past year has been one of tremendous growth at the company, both in size and opportunity which ... More

"Life changing opportunity!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible training and continued opportunity for development, average income for sales rep is 289k, inspiring leadership, overall great environment for those willing to work very, very hard.

Cons

Very challenging job and not a lot of time off your first year but it's all worth it for the insane amounts of money we make and the career experience we gain.

Advice to Management

Keep up the incredible work!

31 Jan 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for your review!