PetSmart Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 24 Jan 2020

3.2
PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk
J.K. Symancyk
Pros
  • "Working with animals & learning about safety(in 390 reviews)

• "If you're interested in animal care, you get to learn a lot(in 167 reviews)

Cons
  • "Most animals like the peanut butter(in 406 reviews)

• "You do have to clean up after dogs if owner’s refuse to pick it up or just leaves it(in 246 reviews)

"Part time hourly cashier"

Part Time Cashier in Chennai

I have been working at PetSmart for more than a year

Pros

If you love animals, this is the place to work. Always something cute, fluffy, or exotic walking through the door. You may see a baby kangaroo, a snake, a lizard, or even a pig walking around. And you'll come to know the regular customers and their pets by name.

Cons

It can get very loud at times in the store, especially on weekends when it's so busy, you have rescue animals up for adoption, dog training, and just utter chaos at times. Throw in a bunch of kids (and sometimes adults) playing with the squeaky dog toys, and throwing the dog frisbees and balls around and it's the perfect combination for a major headache! And, a lot of times the pet parents don't avail themselves of our oops stations and leave us with "surprises" throughout the store.

Advice to Management

The new direction the company is taking has shifted the main focus off of the important things, like excellent customer service and prompt but courteous check out, to forcing sales of dog training classes and puppy kits. They're cutting hours of the ones who can't make customers buy what they don't want or can't afford, and are threatening to fire those that aren't in "compliance". As a result, they will lose dedicated, caring employees, and eventually customers with this forceful strong armed sales approach. I certainly won't return to shop at any place where I can't walk around the store free of what I consider to be harassment. When you tell one person "no thank you, I'm not interested", only to turn a corner and have yet another person try to sell you the same thing, you lose customers. Let people decide on their own whether to buy these classes and puppy kits, and turn the focus back around to taking care of the pet parents.

PetSmart2016-04-17
  2. "Feedback about the company"

I have been working at PetSmart for more than a year

Pros

Good Environment to learn in life

Cons

Slow growth process, salary low

PetSmart2017-12-30
  3. "Stock"

Current Employee - Stockroom Assistant in Troy, MI

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great management, flexible hours, tons of cute animals

Cons

Pay is okay, education on products to all workers should be more of a focus.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

PetSmart2020-01-24
  4. "Best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Cashier in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

I wanted an environment without toxicity and I found it here. The staff are real people and very welcoming and great to work with. This is my post-hi-tech stressful life job and I love it. The managers really excel at building on my strengths and understanding my weaknesses and helping me with those. Oh... and I get to cuddle puppies.

Cons

It can be hard to interact with bad pet parents. I do my best to subtlety help correct things like under (or OVER) feeding, mis-use of choke collars and more serous things like physical punishment of dogs. But overall, I have a lot of colleagues who can come and provide expect advice and generally we can educate the owner. Oh, and pet parents who gladly let their dogs poop and pee on the store floor and ask me to clean it up. lol. yeah....

Advice to Management

Let the cashiers in as part of the front of the house set up. We know what people are looking for More cross training. Empower the cashiers.

PetSmart2020-01-23
  5. "Great job"

Current Employee - Petsmart PetsHotel Associate in Marlton, NJ

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

Love the animals and great staff

Cons

Hours are a little weird for me

Advice to Management

Add more flexibility

PetSmart2020-01-21
  6. "Progression"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Vancouver, BC

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy enough to progress through hard work.

Cons

Customer (pet parents) are a nightmare to deal with.

PetSmart2020-01-19
  7. "I enjoyed it"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at PetSmart full-time

Pros

Dogs and cats relieve your stress

Cons

picking up dog poop is not enjoyable

PetSmart2020-01-17

"It's a nice place to work if you need the benefits"

Former Employee - Dog Groomer

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

It was a nice place to work . The pros are that you have paid benefits. Also, if you have a good team and leadership, it can be nice to be part of a big shoe box corporate employer.

Cons

Lack of communication between management and employees is frustrating. You do not have any freedom for much creativity because of all the policies and rules. While some are there for there protection for you, the customer and the company, some are just too ridiculous. I have had the opportunity to work for both PetSmart and a private salon, and I prefer a private salon.

PetSmart2020-01-11
  9. "Decent job"

Current Employee - Stylist Apprentice

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

Get to interact with dogs all day, easy going environment.

Cons

Can be straining on the back, expect scars from dog bites and scratches, not every dog will be easy, not the best pay, no benefits for part time.

PetSmart2020-01-12
  10. "Worst retail experience in 25 years"

Former Employee - Merchandise Inventory Leader in San Jose, CA

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working with associates who cared about the animals.

Cons

Poor management, severely understaffed, zero work life balance, poor pay for workload. Human resources is only interested in protecting the company not the staff.

Advice to Management

Listen to your team, and follow company policies across the board. When important issues are brought up, address them instead of ignoring thrm.

PetSmart2020-01-24