PetSmart Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 18 Oct 2019

3.2
PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk
J.K. Symancyk
Pros
  • "Working with animals & learning about safety(in 377 reviews)

• "If you're interested in animal care, you get to learn a lot(in 163 reviews)

Cons
  • "I do wish we didn't sell enclosures that weren't good for the animals (i(in 397 reviews)

• "You do have to clean up after dogs if owner’s refuse to pick it up or just leaves it(in 234 reviews)

"Part time hourly cashier"

Part Time Cashier in Chennai

I have been working at PetSmart for more than a year

Pros

If you love animals, this is the place to work. Always something cute, fluffy, or exotic walking through the door. You may see a baby kangaroo, a snake, a lizard, or even a pig walking around. And you'll come to know the regular customers and their pets by name.

Cons

It can get very loud at times in the store, especially on weekends when it's so busy, you have rescue animals up for adoption, dog training, and just utter chaos at times. Throw in a bunch of kids (and sometimes adults) playing with the squeaky dog toys, and throwing the dog frisbees and balls around and it's the perfect combination for a major headache! And, a lot of times the pet parents don't avail themselves of... our oops stations and leave us with "surprises" throughout the store.

Advice to Management

The new direction the company is taking has shifted the main focus off of the important things, like excellent customer service and prompt but courteous check out, to forcing sales of dog training classes and puppy kits. They're cutting hours of the ones who can't make customers buy what they don't want or can't afford, and are threatening to fire those that aren't in "compliance". As a result, they will lose... dedicated, caring employees, and eventually customers with this forceful strong armed sales approach. I certainly won't return to shop at any place where I can't walk around the store free of what I consider to be harassment. When you tell one person "no thank you, I'm not interested", only to turn a corner and have yet another person try to sell you the same thing, you lose customers. Let people decide on their own whether to buy these classes and puppy kits, and turn the focus back around to taking care of the pet parents.

PetSmart2016-04-17
  2. "Feedback about the company"

I have been working at PetSmart for more than a year

Pros

Good Environment to learn in life

Cons

Slow growth process, salary low

PetSmart2017-12-30

"Good part time, not much for full time"

Former Employee - Bather

I worked at PetSmart part-time

Pros

Good group to work with, rare to find a group I'd like to hang out with outside of work, but I am still friends with several of my old coworkers! Great clients, loved seeing my regular pups and their owners!

Cons

No chance of full time as a bather Was promised the grooming academy, but after a year I had to move on due to lack of hours and money every month Over scheduling was rough, with all the quick services Bathers were required to do no matter how idle the groomers were.

PetSmart2019-10-13

October 14, 2019Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for the review! We couldn't agree more - it's our colleagues, pets and pet parents who make PetSmart such a special place. We always appreciate hearing feedback from our associates and appreciate you taking the time. Please know, you can also share your thoughts via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. We appreciate you sharing your experience!

4. "Too much stress for little pay"

Former Employee - Professional Bather

I worked at PetSmart part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are great to work with You get to work with dogs

Cons

Corporate has a say in everything for none of them to have worked in a salon

PetSmart2019-10-18
  5. "Room to grow"

Current Employee - Salon Leader

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Development plans for interested workers

Cons

Ain’t no 9-5 gig yall

PetSmart2019-10-14

October 16, 2019Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to review and share your experience. We're thrilled you've found life at PetSmart to be fulfilling with advancement opportunities. Thank you for all you each day for your fellow associates, pets and pet parents!

6. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - CEL in Hilton Head Island, SC

I worked at PetSmart full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great atmosphere with pet parents and associates. Steady work, fun. Pay was good too.

Cons

Some management need more involvement and less office time.

Advice to Management

Be more involved with employees and less time in office

PetSmart2019-10-14

October 14, 2019Social Media Community Manager

Thanks for the review! We think our culture is incredibly unique at PetSmart, and I'm so happy that was your experience, as well. Your feedback is both appreciated and noted. Thank you for all the work you did to help make pets happy and healthy!

7. "Great place to work."

Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist

I have been working at PetSmart part-time

Pros

PetSmart has great pay and training.

Cons

Sometimes understaffed and hours can vary.

PetSmart2019-10-10

October 11, 2019Social Media Community Manager

Thanks for the review! We're thrilled to hear that you enjoy working at PetSmart. Thanks for all that you do for the love of pets and for taking the time to share your experience!

8. "Review"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I have been working at PetSmart part-time

Pros

Good team and lots of opportunities for growth

Cons

Can be very fast paced and busy

PetSmart2019-10-10

October 11, 2019Social Media Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience! It's wonderful to hear that you have enjoyed your time at PetSmart, we hope that's always the case. Thanks again for taking the time!

"Love everything about it"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Hattiesburg, MS

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

My managers, coworkers, and even customers are great and make the job well worth it! I also get paid well and get to learn A LOT of things about products and animals that I didn’t know before. Everyone is very nice and cares about you and helping you succeed if you put in the effort. You also get basic vacation time even as a part time employee and the company offers a lot of other benefits even at the part time... level.

Cons

Usually part time workers only get around 20 hours but sometimes more. I would say the main con is how much the hours fluctuate.

PetSmart2019-08-22

August 26, 2019Employer Branding

Thank you so much for the review! That's great to hear how much you enjoy some of the PetSmart perks and benefits. We agree with you - our fellow associates and customers are wonderful. That shared love and passion for pets is a powerful bond that connects us all. Thank you, again, for sharing your experience.

10. "Love Pets"