PetSmart Reviews

Found 6,228 of over 6,328 reviews

3.3
PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk
J.K. Symancyk
Pros
  • "Working with animals is fun, schedule is flexible(in 456 reviews)

• "Fantastic work for a college kid with a future in animal work(in 187 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Poor management that did not care for the animals' safety as much as the bottom line(in 469 reviews)

• "Prone to dealing with misbehaving dogs(in 286 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee
      Featured Review

Love petsmart

Mar 29, 2021 - Reservations Agent
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits Great environment Pets at work

Cons

Everything is quite nice here.

Associate Employment Brand Manager

We're happy to hear you enjoy your life at PetSmart! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us.

2. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Plenty of work

May 29, 2021 - Internship in New Delhi
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free coffee and continued supply of cooking and Maggie

Cons

Plenty of work, air conditioning was terrible, smoke breaks were monitored

Associate Employment Brand Manager

Hello! We appreciate your feedback and taking the time to leave a thoughtful review. Thank you for all that you did for the pets that came into the store while you were with PetSmart!

3. 4.0

Associate

Feb 12, 2021 - Pet Care Specialist in Matgoda
      Business Outlook

Pros

Loving community, we try to get customers not abuse animals we sell, we take the animals to the vet, we’ve gotten great with treating wet tail, we’re all passionate about the animals.

Cons

Not good pay, we get bashed for trying to stop customers from buying an animal to abuse, horrible vendors .

4. 4.0

Part time hourly cashier

Apr 17, 2016 - Part Time Cashier in Chennai
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you love animals, this is the place to work. Always something cute, fluffy, or exotic walking through the door. You may see a baby kangaroo, a snake, a lizard, or even a pig walking around. And you'll come to know the regular customers and their pets by name.

Cons

It can get very loud at times in the store, especially on weekends when it's so busy, you have rescue animals up for adoption, dog training, and just utter chaos at times. Throw in a bunch of kids (and sometimes adults) playing with the squeaky dog toys, and throwing the dog frisbees and balls around and it's the perfect combination for a major headache! And, a lot of times the pet parents don't avail themselves of our oops stations and leave us with "surprises" throughout the store.

1 person found this review helpful
    5. 3.0

Feedback about the company

Dec 29, 2017 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good Environment to learn in life

Cons

Slow growth process, salary low

6. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work!

Jul 24, 2021 - Grooming Apprentice in Delray Beach, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you love animals this is a great company to work for! I loved my time there. They are very understanding - I was going through some personal issues at the time and all of my superiors were so accommodating and helpful, always making sure that my health came first. I am so grateful for my time there and appreciated the empathy that I received during a difficult time in my life. You get to meet so many adorable puppies and dogs! Working with dogs is so much better than working with humans. Lastly, they will train you to become an actual groomer and get your license. As well as train you in other store departments.

Cons

Short shifts. And not full time. Can be very fast paced. Lots of corporate rules that must be followed.

7. 4.0
      Current Employee

It's a great starting/ part time job

Jul 9, 2021 - Cashier in South Bend, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

The staff here is amazing, all while because of the pandemic we are a little stressed at times, we work as a team and get through it. The hours I get are what I want, and they will do their best to make sure that it is what you want.

Cons

The customers can be a handful. Watching people impulse buy a pet and not always being able to express concern is the most heart wrenching. I went into this job to build experience working with animals and gaining more knowledge, like the sorts, and I cannot use it to help the customers out. Even though it's in the company's motto to do so. Some manager's will get upset if you leave the register to help a customer. I am a busy person, I used to be an assistant store manager, so I have to do something, not just stand at a register all the time. They try to be polite about it though or try to give you tasks nearby the register but even then I still get scolded or told to try and focus more on being near the register. It's an impossible battle to win. Just stay at the register and be nonchalant I guess.

8. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

PetSmart is by far the best company I've worked for as far as the Corporation.

Jul 21, 2021 - Professional Pet Groomer in Brockton, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Groomers paid in commission - for each dog someone grooms, PetSmart gets 50% and 50% goes on employee's next paycheck. Great co-workers. Benefits - health insurance, pet insurance, 401k plan with various plans to fit individual needs! I forget what the discount for shopping was, maybe 15-20%, but it saved me SO much in the long run!

Cons

Upper Mgmt was out of touch with what's needed to run a store from the in-store level. Whenever Corporate would visit, we could be sure something was probably coming that'd cause at least 1 or 2 people to quit.

9. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

It was okay. Very busy, not great pay.

Jun 25, 2021 - Middle Management Position in St. John's, NL
      Business Outlook

Pros

- you can pet kitties - 50% off of petsmart brand petfood/litter/etc. -take home samples at the end of sample saturday -benefits (prescription drugs, massage, dental, eye) -dogs are so cute -work with the SPCA

Cons

-pay is not great -some higher level managers are sexist -understaffed most times -performing SPCA adoptions when we are very busy -people just wanting to look/pet the adoptable cats and not actually adopt them, and waste your time when you are insanely busy. -customers think they know it all and will try to put a beta fish into the bottom pizza fish tanks. -customers complain a lot because they want to put goldfish into a small little bowl -customer lets their dogs pee and poop on the floor and then leave it there. -when dog training class is happening, be prepared to have a headache for a few days. -the salon customers are probably the rudest of all the customers we got.

Associate Employment Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and would love to connect via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 to see if we can help.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

I loved it

Apr 26, 2021 - PetsHotel Night Pet Care Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been on nights at the hotel for 5 years ( this year ). Things can get crazy. If you are organized, good with time management, and able to work in a very fast paced environment, this could be a good fit for you. It is not a job for everyone, and it is about 80 % cleaning and setting up for the next shift, and 20 % animal interaction. You can be alone with up to 75 animals, before they call in a second shift. Busiest times would be holiday breaks, and summer. All in all I made a ton of doggie pals, and I loved cleaning and taking care of the animals so it was good for me. I really liked my hotel manager too. I felt appreciated by management most of the time, and when I expressed interest in a higher wage, I was rewarded. Work hard, prove yourself, you will be an asset to the team and company.

Cons

Long shifts, can be loud, overwhelming. The biggest con was the other hotel team members. More interested in chit chatting and gossiping than doing work. Be prepared that you are your own team, and to rely only on yourself. Very high turn over rate, for example since I have been on nights we have gone through at least 6 other over nights, it's hard work. Once you prove yourself, you're golden. Some dogs are very mean and don't like people, you have to walk these dogs while alone in the hotel and store. That seems terrifying ( but my team was understanding if we had a super crazy dog and I didn't feel safe )

Viewing 1 - 10 of 6,228 Reviews