PetSmart Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

3.1
PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk
J.K. Symancyk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Working with animals abd follow employees" (in 331 reviews)

• "The company really supports the interns in their programs and allows them to learn a lot about what it would be like to work there after graduation" (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • "Hard to get full-time, very hard to get fired which means a few workers who don't do their work" (in 202 reviews)

• "not that many hours as part time" (in 153 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Phoenix Corporate Office"

Current Employee - Corporate Office Empoyee in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Corporate Office Empoyee in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture of the organization is what attracted me to the company and why I continue to stay. The purchase of Chewy.com in May 2017 was a very strategic addition combining the largest brick and mortar and online pet specialty in one company (yes, Chewy.com is bigger than Amazon in this space!) I have worked here for two years and the change in the Senior leadership from August 2017 to March 2018 has made a significant and positive impact. The new CEO that started in June 2018 has a great background and seems to be very personable. Very excited about the future of PetSmart along with Chewy under the new CEO. The campus has day care, gym, on-site café, Starbucks, shipping center, dry cleaning drop off/pick up - great amenities!

Cons

Just like any other organization, it is not perfect. However, the best place I have worked.

Advice to Management

Continue working together to create the strategy and aligning organizational goals to all levels. Morale has continued to improve over the past year and the transparency to employees is good - keep it going.

5 Jul 2018 – Employer Branding

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review! We think PetSmart is a pretty special place, as well, and really appreciate hearing about your experience.

Like you, we are confident in... More

"Part time hourly cashier"

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Chennai
    Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Chennai

I have been working at PetSmart (More than a year)

Pros

If you love animals, this is the place to work. Always something cute, fluffy, or exotic walking through the door. You may see a baby kangaroo, a snake, a lizard, or even a pig walking around. And you'll come to know the regular customers and their pets by name.

Cons

It can get very loud at times in the store, especially on weekends when it's so busy, you have rescue animals up for adoption, dog training, and just utter chaos at times. Throw in a bunch of kids (and sometimes adults) playing with the squeaky dog toys, and throwing the dog frisbees and balls around and it's the perfect combination for a major headache! And, a lot of times the pet parents don't avail themselves of our oops stations and leave us with "surprises" throughout the store.

Advice to Management

The new direction the company is taking has shifted the main focus off of the important things, like excellent customer service and prompt but courteous check out, to forcing sales of dog training classes and puppy kits. They're cutting hours of the ones who can't make customers buy what they don't want or can't afford, and are threatening to fire those that aren't in "compliance". As a result, they will lose dedicated, caring employees, and eventually customers with this forceful strong armed sales approach. I certainly won't return to shop at any place where I can't walk around the store free of what I consider to be harassment. When you tell one person "no thank you, I'm not interested", only to turn a corner and have yet another person try to sell you the same thing, you lose customers. Let people decide on their own whether to buy these classes and puppy kits, and turn the focus back around to taking care of the pet parents.

3. "Feedback about the company"

I have been working at PetSmart (More than a year)

Pros

Good Environment to learn in life

Cons

Slow growth process, salary low

4. "Assistant manager"

I have been working at PetSmart full-time

Pros

Great environment to be in

Cons

Retail hours an holidays. Hours

"Great job to have"

Former Employee - Overnight Pet Care Specialist in Memphis, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Overnight Pet Care Specialist in Memphis, TN (US)

I worked at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, nice coworkers, pay is always accurate

Cons

Overnight pay should be atleast 10$/hourly.

14 Dec 2018 – Employer Branding

That's wonderful to hear you enjoy life at PetSmart! Thank you for the review! That shared passion for pets is a pretty special bond among co-workers, and I'm happy to hear you're enjoying... More

"Dog Bather"

Current Employee - Dog Bather in Huntington Beach, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Dog Bather in Huntington Beach, CA (US)

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers and environment. Awesome place to grow and move up.

Cons

Hours, wish I was payed a little more

14 Dec 2018 – Employer Branding

Thank you for the review! We really appreciate feedback from our team members. That's great to hear how much you enjoy the environment, growth opportunities and your colleagues. We think PetSmart... More

"Small spaced work environment"

Current Employee - PetSmart Salon Leader in Lubbock, TX (US)
    Current Employee - PetSmart Salon Leader in Lubbock, TX (US)

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, vacation time, tips, client interactions, safety standards,

Cons

Small spaced environment, niche skilled job (other management can’t always help) , eventual health issues,

Advice to Management

In an outlying market it’s hard to move up in the company. There isn’t much opportunity once your a salon leader to move forward.

14 Dec 2018 – Employer Branding

Thank you for the review. We appreciate you taking the time. Definitely talk to your management team about growth opportunities. They can help. Also, you can always contact the CareSmart line at... More

8. "Pretty much as expected"

Former Employee - Pet Care Associate in Amarillo, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Pet Care Associate in Amarillo, TX (US)

I worked at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interacting with animals is cool

Cons

Removing dead fish from tanks, not so much

Advice to Management

Puppy kits are a scam and nobody wants to sell them

9. "It's a retail job"

Current Employee - Pet Care Associate in Richmond Hill, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Pet Care Associate in Richmond Hill, ON (Canada)

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The management and senior employees handles customer interactions, so none of the bad customer interactions make it to the associates.

You get to work with pets.

Flexible scheduling / easy going atmosphere.

Room for growth if you want to have a career, this doesn't apply to part-time employees, which happen to make up most of the hands on labour and turn-over.

Cons

It's a retail job.

Poop, lots of it.

10. "PetsHotel"

I have been working at PetSmart part-time

Pros

The team dynamic is great. Everyone does their best to help each other and provide best care for the dogs.
    Get to interact with cats and dogs every shift!

Cons

Not always enough hours and pay could be better.

14 Dec 2018 – Employer Branding

Thank you for all you do to make PetsHotel so special, and thank you for sharing your experience. We agree - being around pets each day is pretty fantastic! That's great to hear about your team... More