PetSmart Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

3.2
PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk
J.K. Symancyk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Working with animals and with people who love animals" (in 336 reviews)

• "Good customer service experience, you learn a lot while working there" (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • "full time hours despite only being considered part time" (in 203 reviews)

• "not that many hours as part time" (in 157 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"AWEsome!"

Pros

The culture is incredible! It’s positive, encouraging and passionate. Successes are celebrated and failures are supported. Respect and trust are cornerstones of #LifeAtPetSmart. The campus amenities are amazing and I am proud to work for an organization that cares about its pet parents and associates.

Cons

So much about this company is just AWEsome! I would love to see more teams embrace the work from home movement for a day or two each week when possible.

Advice to Management

Continue to love your people and pet parents out loud!

14 Jan 2019 – Employer Branding

Thank you so much for the review! We appreciate you taking the time. We are steadfast in our commitment to pets, pet parents and associates, so feedback like this is incredibly helpful and... More

"Part time hourly cashier"

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Chennai
    Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Chennai

I have been working at PetSmart (More than a year)

Pros

If you love animals, this is the place to work. Always something cute, fluffy, or exotic walking through the door. You may see a baby kangaroo, a snake, a lizard, or even a pig walking around. And you'll come to know the regular customers and their pets by name.

Cons

It can get very loud at times in the store, especially on weekends when it's so busy, you have rescue animals up for adoption, dog training, and just utter chaos at times. Throw in a bunch of kids (and sometimes adults) playing with the squeaky dog toys, and throwing the dog frisbees and balls around and it's the perfect combination for a major headache! And, a lot of times the pet parents don't avail themselves of our oops stations and leave us with "surprises" throughout the store.

Advice to Management

The new direction the company is taking has shifted the main focus off of the important things, like excellent customer service and prompt but courteous check out, to forcing sales of dog training classes and puppy kits. They're cutting hours of the ones who can't make customers buy what they don't want or can't afford, and are threatening to fire those that aren't in "compliance". As a result, they will lose dedicated, caring employees, and eventually customers with this forceful strong armed sales approach. I certainly won't return to shop at any place where I can't walk around the store free of what I consider to be harassment. When you tell one person "no thank you, I'm not interested", only to turn a corner and have yet another person try to sell you the same thing, you lose customers. Let people decide on their own whether to buy these classes and puppy kits, and turn the focus back around to taking care of the pet parents.

3. "Feedback about the company"

I have been working at PetSmart (More than a year)

Pros

Good Environment to learn in life

Cons

Slow growth process, salary low

4. "Petcare Associate"

Former Employee - Petcare Associate in Geneva, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Petcare Associate in Geneva, IL (US)

I worked at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good hours, flexible, nice coworkers

Cons

Subpar pay for all employees.

Advice to Management

Pay better

5. "Fantastic job during college"

Former Employee - Petcare Specialist
    Former Employee - Petcare Specialist

I worked at PetSmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Animals are always fun to work with. Co-workers were fantastic and made the job significantly better.

Cons

Its retail, just slightly better sometimes.

22 Feb 2019 – Social Media Community Manager

Thank you so much for the review! It is fantastic to hear you enjoyed your team at PetSmart, as well as working with pets. We think it's so fun, too! Thank you, again, for taking the time!

6. "Amazing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

love it here so fun

Cons

there are no cons for me

"Management makes a difference!"

Current Employee - Customer Engagement Leader/Petcare Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Engagement Leader/Petcare Manager

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love getting to expand my knowledge and use it everyday to help pet parents. The customers are usually very upbeat and friendly. The company as a whole really cares about the employees, customers and pets. I never feel like I have a strict budget for providing proper care for our pets. They are very well taken care of in my store. Fun atmosphere and our team is like family. Bonuses are really good if you work at a high performing store.

Cons

There’s not enough management for store leaders. They can honestly treat associates however they want and can basically get away with whatever they want. It really makes a huge difference going from a wonderful, caring manager, to one who only cares about the numbers and will push anyone out of the way to achieve them. There’s also not enough hours given to staff the store appropriately and allow things to actually get done the way they are meant to be done. There’s constant pressure to get more and more done with no extra help. New procedures will be pushed out that are supposed to “save time” but they never actually do but hours are cut anyways. Health insurance is ridiculously expensive but has fairly decent coverage.

Advice to Management

Check up more on store leaders. You really can’t tell anything about how the store is being ran by visiting once a month and just keeping up with the scorecard metrics. District managers need to spend more time talking to associates WITHOUT the store leader standing beside them so they can get honest feedback about what’s going on. There’s more to a successful store than just the numbers. Store leaders should be successfuly trained and held accountable to live by the company standards and treat associates how they should be treated.

18 Feb 2019 – Social Media Community Manager

That's wonderful to hear you enjoy working with pets and pet parents, the bonuses and the store atmosphere! I'm sorry to here you don't feel supported by management. We want to ensure we're always... More

8. "Pet Care Associate"

Former Employee - Pet Care Associate in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Pet Care Associate in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at PetSmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good training, good employee benefits

Cons

If you’re part-time it’s very hard to be moved to full-time

Advice to Management

N/a

19 Feb 2019 – Social Media Community Manager

Thanks so much for the review. We’re happy to hear that you enjoyed the benefits and training opportunities at PetSmart! Thank you, again, for sharing!

9. "I absolutely love it"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Lansing, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Lansing, MI (US)

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team! Great customers! All the knowledge of animals you gain is rewarding.

Cons

Part time hours. Sometimes short staffed.

Advice to Management

Keep being great!!

19 Feb 2019 – Social Media Community Manager

Thanks so much for the review! It’s so wonderful to hear you find working with pets and the development opportunities to be rewarding. We think working with pets and pet parents is so special! Thank... More

10. "Fortune 500 Company in need of a leadership bootcamp"

Current Employee - Customer Engagement Leader in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Engagement Leader in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Busy environment, opportunity for quarterly bonuses, never the same day twice.

Cons

Often low morale, leaders have had previous to no prior leadership training, the leaders are not required (or taught) to be skilled at managing people when that is a big aspect of the job, need more training to teach our cashiers to be skilled sales people as that is also not a priority although the district leaders expect high sales

Advice to Management

Take initiative to self-improve, the morale and energy will follow

19 Feb 2019 – Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to review. We’re glad to hear you are enjoying the benefits and lively environment. I’m sorry to hear you don’t feel supported by your management. That's certainly not... More