PetSmart Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

3.1
PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk
J.K. Symancyk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Working with animals and with people who love animals" (in 344 reviews)

• "Good customer service experience, you learn a lot while working there" (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • "Can't be full-time unless you are a manager and the manager position seems pretty stressful" (in 205 reviews)

• "not that many hours as part time" (in 159 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"AWEsome!"

Pros

The culture is incredible! It’s positive, encouraging and passionate. Successes are celebrated and failures are supported. Respect and trust are cornerstones of #LifeAtPetSmart. The campus amenities are amazing and I am proud to work for an organization that cares about its pet parents and associates.

Cons

So much about this company is just AWEsome! I would love to see more teams embrace the work from home movement for a day or two each week when possible.

Advice to Management

Continue to love your people and pet parents out loud!

14 Jan 2019 – Social Media Community Manager

Thank you so much for the review! We appreciate you taking the time. We are steadfast in our commitment to pets, pet parents and associates, so feedback like this is incredibly helpful and... More

"Part time hourly cashier"

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Chennai
    Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Chennai

I have been working at PetSmart (More than a year)

Pros

If you love animals, this is the place to work. Always something cute, fluffy, or exotic walking through the door. You may see a baby kangaroo, a snake, a lizard, or even a pig walking around. And you'll come to know the regular customers and their pets by name.

Cons

It can get very loud at times in the store, especially on weekends when it's so busy, you have rescue animals up for adoption, dog training, and just utter chaos at times. Throw in a bunch of kids (and sometimes adults) playing with the squeaky dog toys, and throwing the dog frisbees and balls around and it's the perfect combination for a major headache! And, a lot of times the pet parents don't avail themselves of our oops stations and leave us with "surprises" throughout the store.

Advice to Management

The new direction the company is taking has shifted the main focus off of the important things, like excellent customer service and prompt but courteous check out, to forcing sales of dog training classes and puppy kits. They're cutting hours of the ones who can't make customers buy what they don't want or can't afford, and are threatening to fire those that aren't in "compliance". As a result, they will lose dedicated, caring employees, and eventually customers with this forceful strong armed sales approach. I certainly won't return to shop at any place where I can't walk around the store free of what I consider to be harassment. When you tell one person "no thank you, I'm not interested", only to turn a corner and have yet another person try to sell you the same thing, you lose customers. Let people decide on their own whether to buy these classes and puppy kits, and turn the focus back around to taking care of the pet parents.

3. "Feedback about the company"

I have been working at PetSmart (More than a year)

Pros

Good Environment to learn in life

Cons

Slow growth process, salary low

4. "Great company to learn and grow"

Former Employee - Intern in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

PetSmart's Intern Program places interns in specific departments and pairs them with a manager that they alongside to work on an individual project for the duration of the summer. As a student, this is very beneficial as it adds value and hands-on professional experience that is applicable to the field they are studying in. Everyone is also very friendly and welcoming of new faces.

Cons

It went by extremely fast.

"Pretty Good, Would Recommend"

Current Employee - Pet Care Associate
    Current Employee - Pet Care Associate

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is pretty friendly and nice, including management
    Pretty good team work
    Management is organized and willing to help
    Very good communication
    My best job so far

Cons

Just some slight favoritism with hours and praise from management to some associates that do not necessarily deserve it and most other associates agree

Advice to Management

Be more fair with hours

17 Apr 2019 – Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for the feedback! We are thrilled to hear that you are enjoying life at PetSmart so far. Our associates are so dedicated to ensuring pets' lives are happy and healthy, and it's wonderful to... More

6. "Not perfect, but pretty darn close."

Current Employee - Human Resources in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture, the happiness of people around you is hard not see.
    By far the most ethical company I've ever worked for in my 23 years of working.
    Benefits to suit all needs.
    The campus has everything you need, dog park, gym, cafe, Star Bucks, Dry Cleaning, child daycare, I can keep going.

Cons

They could use a better 401k, you get kicked out from contributing if you're making a certain amount. Be sure to ask about that.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

17 Apr 2019 – Social Media Community Manager

Thank you so much for the feedback! We are thrilled to hear about your experience! We think life at PetSmart is pretty great, as well, and appreciate you sharing! Thanks, again!

"Not a bad company"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Leader
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Leader

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employee discount, benefits, working with animals, tuition assistance, opportunity to move up within company.

Cons

Lack of hours, rude customers, it’s still retail...

Advice to Management

Stop hiring external Assistant Store Leaders and Store Leaders. From my experience they generally fail, and then they bring someone with company tenure in to fix the broken store that’s left. It’s a huge waste of resources and time. While PetSmart is a large retailer, generally these external hires with decades of retail experience (in many cases) do not have the plethora of company knowledge and experience that it takes to successfully run an establishment that is responsible for the welfare and well being of a wide variety of living animals.

17 Apr 2019 – Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for the review. That's so great to hear you are enjoying the perks. We do take these seriously and appreciate you taking the time. I will share your feedback with the appropriate team... More

"Great Culture"

Current Employee - Data Integrity Specialist in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Data Integrity Specialist in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love the culture here, the people, the pets! Whenever I need a break from my desk I can go say hi to the dogs around the office. Average benefits, PetSmart seems invested in growing the careers of the people they bring in.

Cons

Higher turnover rate than I'm used to

Advice to Management

Maybe let men wear nice shorts in the summer since it gets so dang hot in Phoenix!

"Can be great depending on store management"

Former Employee - Dog Bather
    Former Employee - Dog Bather

I worked at PetSmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

PetSmart really does do a lot for shelters and rescues and it's cool to be a part of that. It can be fun working with animals. I had great store management and it made for a good experience.

Cons

Very low work-life balance (most stores want you to keep open availability even if you're part time). Working in grooming is not for the faint of heart. You will get bit at and pooped on way more frequently than you think. Poor pay for all the tasks you're doing.

Advice to Management

Pay people more! Especially in pet care and bathing. Those jobs are a ton of work and deserve much more than they get.

12 Apr 2019 – Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for the review. That's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed taking care of pets. It's such an important role to play! I'm sorry to hear this has been your experience. I can assure you, we... More

10. "Good First Job"

Current Employee - Petcare Specialist in Tucson, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Petcare Specialist in Tucson, AZ (US)

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, fun work environment, low stress, easy job functions.

Cons

Poor corporate management, have to deal with rude customers, sometimes the animals get sick and you become exposed to ringworm, etc.

Advice to Management

My management was really good, however it seems like the people in corporate positions have never worked a day in their life in the actual store.

17 Apr 2019 – Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for the review. We appreciate you taking the time. We are always looking for ways to improve and absolutely consider all feedback. Please know, you can always share via the CareSmart line... More