Philips Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Philips President and CEO Frans van Houten
Frans van Houten

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "work-life balance is touted by rarely achieved" (in 110 reviews)

• "too many layers for decision making" (in 88 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Place to Work"

Current Employee - Information Security in Bengaluru
    Current Employee - Information Security in Bengaluru

I have been working at Philips full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Enough exposure to employee
    Right set of colleague to guide & mentor
    Trust in employees ability to achieve tasks

Cons

Yet to come across one , till now :-)

Advice to Management

May be management, must consider expanding Philips offices in multiple locations beyond North Bengaluru.
    Spread the wings, in South B'lore as well, this shall help employees commuting from different corner of city, to plan their work-space, closer to home.

13 Dec 2018 – Talent Brand Manager

Hello there, it's a pleasure to hear your time at Philips has been great so far, without any cons. :) Thanks for your advice for the management. Please know they are active here on Glassdoor, and... More

2. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer1 in Bengaluru
    Current Employee - Software Engineer1 in Bengaluru

I have been working at Philips full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good cafeteria and work life balance

Cons

No cons found as such.

31 Jan 2019 – Talent Brand Manager

It's much appreciated that you've taken a moment to spare a couple of words on your experience working with us. Glad to have you on board!

3. "System Designer"

Current Employee - Systems Designer in Pune
    Current Employee - Systems Designer in Pune

I have been working at Philips full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

End to end product knowledge

Cons

Lots of documentation for the desiners

7 Mar 2019 – Talent Brand Manager

Hi there! We appreciate that you've shared some thoughts on your work with us for the last 5+ years. It's certainly interesting to hear from your experience as a system designer, so thanks for... More

4. "Working in philips is well and good"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Bengaluru
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Bengaluru

I worked at Philips full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, good experience in my life

Cons

Everyday work with challenges its good to work

Advice to Management

Awesome

28 Feb 2019 – Talent Brand Manager

It sounds like you've had a great time working for our company! We're glad to hear that you're looking back at your time at Philips with such satisfaction. Thank you for sharing this here and all the... More

5. "Heaven for beginners"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bengaluru

I have been working at Philips full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent work culture, lot of learning

Cons

A bit less pay package.

Advice to Management

None

28 Feb 2019 – Talent Brand Manager

Great to hear! We appreciate you sharing your experiences, and we like that you're having a good time working with us. We're glad to have you on board!

6. "Software Engineer 1"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bengaluru

I have been working at Philips full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is great, flexible working hours, nice medical benefits

Cons

Not soo challenging work .work is there but it's all monotonous.

14 Mar 2019 – Talent Brand Manager

Hi there, thank you for reviewing your employer. It's good to hear that you're happy with the benefits and the level of flexibility that are being provided, but it's a pity that you feel your work at... More

7. "Worst ever"

Former Employee - Demonstrator in Kolkata
    Former Employee - Demonstrator in Kolkata

I worked at Philips full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Traing of new innovative products

Cons

Management issues with staff worst behaviour

Advice to Management

Plz resolve management issues with stafd

"Good Work Env"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bengaluru
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bengaluru

I have been working at Philips full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Work life balance
    2. Work Culture

Cons

1. Hike is very less/year

7 Feb 2019 – Talent Brand Manager

It's nice that you've taken a moment to share a couple of thoughts on working with us. Thanks for being on board!

"Career killer"

Former Employee - Senior Architect in Bengaluru
    Former Employee - Senior Architect in Bengaluru

I worked at Philips full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Renowned brand
    Work from home upto 5 days/month

Cons

This feedback is not for whole of Philips but limited to the legacy imaging lab I was part of.

- As per the JD, I was hired as Sr. Architect but the real work that was already planned for me was to do tons of process documentation
    - The JD had a passing reference to documentation along with several other buzz words so you would never suspect that documentation alone would be 95% of your work. In fact the JD said the position is for client/server architect but upon joining I was told you are client architect + system architect. System architect is undefined and involves all the coordination work rather than technical work.
    - The real work in the lab is done by scrum masters, architects & team members. There are bunch of people manager who are all paper tigers. They don't contribute much to the release except for updating status for which they are always dependent on scrum masters.
    - It was a services organization behind R&D label. The focus was always on delivery. No focus on innovation or modernizing the product.
    - The services mentality was obvious from the fact that despite of being a captive R&D unit of Philips, you have to fill time-sheets. So far I have worked with 3 R&D labs and no where except at Philips I had to fill time-sheet. Its not the time-sheet in itself which is an issue. Its the mentality behind that which shows how is the business run.
    - The whole world knows meetings are anti-productivity activities. But on a lean day I would have 3-4 hours of meetings and on worst day it would be 8 hours of meeting. Imagine an individual contributor spending 50% time in meetings on an average.
    - The planning exercise is also wasteful. 150 engineers would spend 1-2 days in planning / quarter. Worst, in a couple of weeks that planning would be waste as nothing would go as per plan. Total loss of 1200 to 2400 hours of productive time.

Overall my experience has been very very bad. By publishing a misleading JD and using me to get below par clerical work done, Philips has lost all my respect and trust on this brand. This was the worst 1 year of my career.

Advice to Management

1. Hire technical writers and not architects for documentation.
    2. By using architects for such non-technical work, you are killing their career and that leaves the person dissatisfied.
    3. Hire hands-on engineering managers who became managers from product development background. Gone are the days when managers can survive on MS Office. Also after hiring, empower them to bring the change. Don't smother them with existing practices or else no point in hiring them.
    4. A legacy product was designed keeping constraints of the time in mind. As time goes, those constraints change and with that the product has to change as well or else you end up with a brittle product. For product to keep transforming with time, you need to invest in innovation and bringing new technologies into the product.
    5. Meetings should be discouraged and shouldn't be more than 1 hour in duration even if you must meet. Discourage the meeting culture.

14 Mar 2019 – Talent Brand Manager

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience working for Philips. We very much regret to hear that the position of Senior Architect did not live up to your expectations by... More

"Philips GBH NO Job Security"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chennai
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chennai

I have been working at Philips full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work From Home. Nothing much other than that.

Cons

No Job Security, There will always be a sense of Job threat with everyone there right from top management in GBH till the lower level.

The Netherlands (NL) leadership team is very aggressive but they plan without clarity of thoughts. "Do not want to quote any examples here".

Biased, The Management forms perception very soon about the employee and tries to corner and cutoff as early as possible. Chennai Philips GBH is completely in hands of NL Management. The Top Management in GBH hears only the tune of NL and they have very less power to cover the Chennai Employees.
    Salary part, every year the GBH is making some changes and have removed some additional benefits which were given as out of CTC.

Advice to Management

GBH Management needs to take a good care of their own employees. NL should have more clarity of thoughts before they implement any decision. At the moment your decisions are very impulsive.
    Try to give a sense of job security to the employees in GBH.

21 Feb 2019 – Talent Brand Manager

Hello, and thank you for sharing your honest view from your experience. It is unfortunate to hear you feel left out as a division, and that you feel there is not much happening in regards to... More