Treyarch Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

3.8
Treyarch Chairman Mark Lamia
Mark Lamia

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Considering how big and important Call of Duty is, I expected a more pressure-filled environment but the work environment is surprisingly relaxed (in 6 reviews)

• Working on best known AAA title in the world (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • we are the best call of duty company yet (in 5 reviews)

• Treyarch does everything it can to mitigate the effects of crunch time, but there is still (in 6 reviews)

1. "Good Times"

Pros

Fun to work for and a great experience.

Cons

Nothing really negative about the job.

"Teribble egos on senior level"

Current Employee - Artist
    Current Employee - Artist

I have been working at Treyarch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Established company with a proven track record. You know you’re always going to get paid even if their games don’t do so well.

Cons

Because many of the people have been working at the studio for years, they can be very elitist in their professional approach.

Advice to Management

Get senior level staff to some team work workshops. ESPECIALLY the ones who have chosen to go the “art specialist” track instead of managerial- there’s a reason they did. Hint: it’s not because they’re good with people.

Some of these guys are very toxic and passive aggressive and no ones going to say anything because they’ve been there for over a decade. They’re nice people, but terrible teammates.

3. "The Ease of Integration - Treyarch"

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I have been working at Treyarch part-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the best parts about working at Treyarch, especially as a newbie in the video games industry is that everyone, and I mean everyone, is willing and able to help. Everyone is so understanding and helpful, it allows an intern like myself to fully integrate into the team as I learn along side them. It also allows me to have a visible impact on the game, where in previous internship positions my contributions were not valued.

Cons

The only thing that is possibly a con about Treyarch is the short amount of time interns are there.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Allow even the smallest of positions visibility on their work, it bolsters what they are doing as well as keep communication between all departments constant.

"Pretty cool place"

Former Employee - Senior 3D Artist in Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior 3D Artist in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I worked at Treyarch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I created some of the best artwork of my career at Treyarch, and part of the reason for that was all the talented people I was surrounded by. Working at Treyarch was a career highlight for me for sure. Also, studio head Mark Lamia is one of the coolest and most inspiring "higher ups" I've ever met in my career.

Cons

I wouldn't say this is a "con" - but one does need to realize that COD is a multi billion dollar global franchise. And with that comes a certain level of corporate infrastructure, protocol, and priorities that can be potentially frustrating if not viewed from the right "bigger picture" perspective. But if you understand and can appreciate this sort of dynamic - both the challenges and the rewards - then working at Treyarch can be pretty damn amazing. My time there flew by.

Advice to Management

If I had advice for management, I probably wouldn't be posting it here. That seems kind of tacky and pointless.

6. "Great and rewarding studio"

I have been working at Treyarch full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working with incredibly talented and gifted people, across all departments and all levels. I've made incredibly close friends here. The people here is what makes this place great.
    The projects we work on are always ambitious and pushing for bigger and better then we've done before - all focused on how do we give our fans bigger and better experiences.
    There are tremendous opportunities for growth - as long as you are passionate, and PRO-ACTIVE.
    Financially rewarding and great benefits.
    Engineering and tools are pretty phenomenal. We typically get a lot of tools and tech support, allowing us to work as quickly as possible. Software and equipment always accommodated if it's needed.

Cons

It's definitely a hard place to work, and not a place for any industry professional. There have been some really aggressive crunch hours in the past, and I'm sure there will be more in the future. The trick is finding the right balance between what you do professionally and your personal life. The bottom line is most people here care more about making the best game they care over how much overtime is worked. Making the kind of games we make, on the kind of schedules we have, while always trying to out-do ourselves each time is tough.
    Definitely have to balance the time between quality and quantity when it comes to art and animation, to ensure the game play is the best it can be (game play is always the priority).
    Another downside - it's hard to publish your professional work on your personal portfolio. This seems like more of an Activision thing, rather than Treyarch itself. It's definitely possible to post your work that you've done here, but there's a process in place for it and a lot of red tape to get through before they allow you to post it.

Advice to Management

Overall, keep doing what you're doing. Every "difficult" project we get through, is usually followed by a new project where we learn our lessons and plan for those difficulties ahead of time. I just see this place continuing to get better and better.
    I do think a little more effort should be done on showing the world what kind of studio culture we have here. It's been observed by others that there's a giant "wall" around us with only negative things being heard about what's inside. I notice some facebook posts and some twitter feeds now and then - but rarely about how awesome the people are here and how much fun it is to work here.

"Great place"

Current Employee - Lead FX Artist in Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Lead FX Artist in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I have been working at Treyarch full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Treyarch has been like a second home to me. After more than 10 years here I can honestly say it is still the greatest place I have ever worked. While so many things have changed over those years, this place always adapts and evolves into an even stronger more exciting place to be. The people here are second to none, and I have built friendships that will last a lifetime.

Cons

The only con for me is the traffic to get from the valley to Santa Monica and back. The joys of the 405...

"Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Senior Writer in Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Writer in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I have been working at Treyarch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been at Treyarch for about 3 months now and cannot recommend it strongly enough. The studio has a very positive vibe. I've yet to meet anyone here who I have any friction with, which is amazing for a studio this size. Considering how big and important Call of Duty is, I expected a more pressure-filled environment but the work environment is surprisingly relaxed. Also, the financial success of the game means that the studio has the resources to really take care of employees. My salary is generous enough that moving to L.A. hasn't been financially scary. The relocation benefits made moving easier than any relocation I've had before (and I've had a few!). Everyone, right up to the Studio Head, is very approachable. And being located within walking distance of Activision HQ makes our relationship with our parent company close and productive. HR Department took great care of me from Day 1. So far, this is shaping up to be the best job I've ever had -- and I'm 50 so I've had a lot of work experiences before, both good and bad, to compare it to. Finally, the fact that the studio has such a successful track record and firm financial footing means that I'm not worried about the studio faltering, which is nice for a change! Oh, and Santa Monica is beautiful.

Cons

Every place has some downside, and I'm sure Treyarch must, too. I just honestly haven't encountered a Con yet at this place.

"Starting work at Treyarch"

Current Employee - Associate Art Director in Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Art Director in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I have been working at Treyarch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A team of professional and seasoned game developers that have been doing what they do best for a very long time. Working on the number one shooter in the industry. Being part of a team where Art Direction is percieved and considered as high a priority as every other department.
    if you are a prospective employee as I was just 4 months ago, here is something that is worth knowing. I like you read the glass door comments on this company, which made me fearful to commit to signing the contract here. My experience is of a structured mature company, where strong process is in place to manage the unwieldy and sometimes daunting tasks that are involved in developing a Triple A video game. But this doesn't encumber the new guy, with fresh ideas or bringing something to the table. I had clear goals set out for me. Week one expectations, one month expectations, 3 month expectations, all in bite size chunks that made me feel comfortable in my new role in this huge organisation on an even bigger franchise. It's been the most organised and professional introduction to a company in the games industry that I've ever had, which allowed me to naturally grow in confidence rather than immediately reaching for the impact branch that can put developers under pressure.

Cons

no down sides yet, or on the horizon. Of course ship year will be be challenging , it should be in the entertainment industry. I've been developing games for 15 years and I've never worked on a title that I believed in that just cruised through final. If you want to make a great game, you will want to final strong.

Advice to Management

From what I've witnessed this game teams management is seasoned enough and confident enough to listen to the little guy. Keep doing that and we will continue to have a healthy happy crew.

"The best game developer I had the pleasure to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I have been working at Treyarch full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

• Treyarch is a place where we work and play hard. When it's time to get serious and get work done we have the right ingredients to crack the most challenging problems. We do this with professionalism and a great desire to achieve perfection.

• For those that leave a great mark on a project, there is often lucrative compensations depending on how the game was received. It's a great incentive, and it feels great that your manager looks at all your contributions when that time comes.

• Treyarch IT and Operations department are proactive and try to serve you as much as they can. Sometimes they go out of their way to fulfil your requests.

• Treyarch feels like an extended family to me, and I love coming to work to this place full of the top creatives in our industry.

Cons

• Although there are very few negative things I can things of about the Studio, We can get better at identifying potential risks that will end up in re-works or extended hours committing to clean up or changing direction. Sometimes we ignore the lessons of the past with the desire that it will work better this time around, and sometimes it just doesn't.

Advice to Management

• Management should pay a little more attention to the feedback of employees that have already gone through similar challenges to minimized repetition of same mistakes.

11. "Challenging and rewarding"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I have been working at Treyarch full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people who care about making the best game possible. Friendly and helpfull coworkers. Great benefits. Good pay and retention bonus.

Cons

Very often you work on things that are hardly worth it. A lot of resources are wasted this way. In the end there is a lot of crunch to make it up.

Advice to Management

We need all knowing leaders that will pick all the right things to work on and make a perfect game. In the mean time, we are doing pretty good though.