WebEngage Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Avlesh Singh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great company"

I have been working at WebEngage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am writing this review because glassdoor doesn't let you view one unless you have added a review yourself.

- It's a great company. If you are in tech you should thank your stars for having been able to work under Ankit. This guy knows almost everything that is to be known about what he does. I am not a coder so I wouldn't really understand his actual forte but I would pay to listen to him. He had the best answer whenever I posed him any question.

- "Avlesh is a nice guy." Employees here do use this sentence to describe him and I know only few CEOs who ever manage to achieve this repute. You see culture of a company trickles down from its founders. So if they are sorted you got everything else covered.

- Clean, beautiful office, fancy office complex. Snacks, friday free lunch.

- Product is growing and so is clientele. They don't look at the investors with their tongue out for paying salaries. Having worked in such company I can tell you to disgust you feel.

Cons

Not really. If you keep your head down and focus on work you are going to grow both salary and position wise. Like any other company, this one too has some downsides but I feel ridiculous to mention them because they are ridiculous. For instance, somebody mentioned here low salary. Relax man, open your eyes. This is one of the highest paying tech companies I know. Don't compare with Flipkart and the likes. These companies even have their toilet paper sponsored by investors. Jabong's CEO didn't show up in office for 2 months so we got no comparison here.

Just do your job here. Everything will be taken care of.

Advice to Management

They just don't fire anyone. Never. This lets low performers stay in the team this just creates a safety bed for others who want to cut corners. You may be a solid high performing employee but if you see your peer getting away with minuscule KRA you would recalibrate your performance metric. Low performance is contagious and these guys don't get it.

"Living The Dream :)"

Current Employee - Sales Development Manager in Mumbai
    Current Employee - Sales Development Manager in Mumbai

I have been working at WebEngage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Unparalleled Industry Learning Experience
    2. Top Grade Work Related Tools And Resources
    3. Best in Class Company Infrastructure
    4. An Inspirational Management Team
    5. Just Awesome Work Life Culture Balance
    6. Free Eateries: 365x24x7
    7. Quite Flexible Work Timings
    8. Lunch On The House Fridays ;)

Cons

Absolutely Nothing At All :)

"Love this company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mumbai
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mumbai

I have been working at WebEngage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I must admit. I feel compelled to write this review looking at the spate of negative reviews over the last few weeks. I feel its unwarranted and totally uncalled for. And all these negative reviews keep talking about some sort of doom or doomsday. Seriously?

Anyway, here goes.

1. Phenomenal learning: I’ve never experienced the kind of learning that I have at WebEngage in any of the companies I have worked at prior to WebEngage. And I have worked with startups as well as MNCs in the past. I see this phenomenal learning in almost every department at WebEngage. Almost all employees will attest to this.

2. Ownership: If you’re one who likes owning stuff and getting stuff done, this is the place you should work at. If you like being told what to do, please don’t think about joining WebEngage. As is common at a startup, we’re trying to make it work against all odds. We’re ramen profitable and hope to continue the same pace of growth without outside investments. This requires a high degree of ownership. If you’re ready to take complete ownership, you’ll go places. Not only is there a lot of learning, you also actually get to contribute directly to the success of the company.

3. Work culture: Work culture does not stop at free food, TT tables and the likes. Work culture is how you get treated by your colleagues, the kind of camaraderie that is there in the team, whether your feedback and opinions matter, whether you’re being mentored properly and so many other things. WebEngage has one of the best cultures you can find in any startup anywhere in the world. And I truly mean it. I know startups say this ad nauseam but you’ll have to take my word for it.

4. The true excitement of a startup: We’re not funded by millions from any VCs. We’re building a company based completely on cash flow. Money in. Money out. How many startups in India do that? While there might not be any big fat pay checks in WebEngage and that you normally see with the large B2C startups in India, the excitement that comes in WebEngage cannot be matched with that of many other startups in India. We’re trying to create something of value for the world here. Not India specific. We compete with global SAAS startups. Not just Indian startups. We’re creating things from scratch and we love doing what we do. Again, if you’re up for the challenge to create something and have a direct impact on the success of a startup, WebEngage is the place to be at. Believe you me, we will make it happen.

Cons

So here’s the thing. If you’re expecting to be told what to do, if you’re expecting to be commended on just doing your job, if you’re expecting a non-chaotic structured work environment, WebEngage is not the place for you.

That said, let me point out some cons in the company:

1. Hiring the wrong people in the past: We’ve really struggled with this one. In the past, we’ve hired people who were not up to the mark and we have had to let them go. Its not them. Its us. We just made bad hiring choices in the past. It wasn’t a good fit and we’re certainly improving on that aspect now. The argument of whether they left or whether they were fired is moot. Lets just move past this as it doesn’t really matter.

2. Being too nice: The company’s been really nice to people in the past. The killer instinct of getting stuff done was missing for sometime in the past and some people have taken undue advantage of that. We’ve got our mojo back and we’re on our way to killing it from here. Wait and watch.

Advice to Management

None really. Please get rid of the cry babies in the team if we still have any more of those. We need people who believe in what we are trying to create and are up to the mission. Not a bunch of cry babies who leave the company and post anonymous reviews on Glassdoor. So passive aggressive.

To all the haters here, let bygones be bygones. We’re trying to nurture and build something of value here. The least you could do is not post such negative reviews which not only affect the current employees but also future employees who might be reading all this. If you have issues, please write to us. We want to improve and your feedback will help us getting there. Such public bashing does not help you or WebEngage in any way. Unless of course your only objective is to vent, let your frustrations out and try in some meaningless ways to affect the success of the company. And in that case, I feel for you. We have too many naysayers telling us we will not make it. Please join that gang. Everyone loves being a keyboard warrior and an armchair critic. You can be one too! And while you're at it, you can watch us make it.

"Just really the best work culture you can find out there"

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Mumbai
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Mumbai

I worked at WebEngage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been with WebEngage for over 3 years and to say it's been the best professional years of my life would be an understatement. The best part about working here other than the inclusive nature of the employees, the benevolence and methodical workings of the management (don't get me wrong, they're still taskmasters) and the free lunches (of course!) is how much you WILL get to learn.
    There aren't a lot of companies that encourage cross-functional roles and WebEngage is where you to get to do it. It not only helped me develop my business acumen but greatly enriched my career. I attribute a lot of my professional growth to this organization and especially the management, who take everyone under their wing to help them grow professionally (and personally too!)

Cons

I don't really have anything negative to say about this place (maybe I'm biased), except that if you're expecting this to be a breeze, it isn't. It's always crunch time and this fast paced environment is not for the weak-hearted.

Advice to Management

Again, no advice here since the company and the culture that has been built is suited for an individual to thrive, so it's up to them to make the best use of what WebEngage has to offer. I treasure every moment that I've spent here and I can't recommend this place enough.

"Not a place to be in!"

I worked at WebEngage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All pros mentioned are a distant dream now:
    1. Learning opportunity
    2. Freedom to work
    3. Good people.
    The rating which are positive are mostly ones which are from the time immemorial, it's a trap now.

Cons

1. No space for creativity
    2. Boss/Manager's think they know everything but they don't(You know nothing of the industry)
    3. Negative environment, not suitable to work in for even a day.
    4. Product is buggy and not market ready.

People leave the company in days, and yes don't believe people saying they have fired employees, all stories and delusions. Managers are made at their own whims(needless to say not capable).

Advice to Management

You aren't worthy of advice, you know how to make employees unhappy. Keep doing that and you will be over soon! People can count for themselves how many people left the company, look around. Arrogance leads to doomsday, and it will.

"Great workplace, almost a second home."

I have been working at WebEngage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Feedom to explore latest tech trends and adapt them accordingly.
    Easily accessible higher management.
    Last, but not the least, fun loving and helpful colleagues.

Cons

A ceasing work from home policy.

"Good companies are made of good people who are leaving"

I worked at WebEngage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good people
    - Friday lunch
    - Learning

Cons

- Incompetent manager
    - Arrogant CEO
    - Bad product with a lot of bugs

Advice to Management

Open your eyes, Mr. Avlesh Singh, no doubt you have put in a lot of effort to build this company but it is you who is leading it towards its doom. Stop being so arrogant and listen to people around you. Stop overpowering them in everything, you can't know everything. And stop ranting how good you were to the people who left you. You know some of your close ones also left you, accept it, make amends and move on. Accept your mistakes which made some of your best ones leave for your competitors and stop lying that you were about to fire them. you know who i am talking about.

"A former great company, rushing towards it's doom"

I worked at WebEngage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Friday lunches
    TT table
    No targets.

Cons

No assistance or training provided
    Managers are under qualified and do not know how to work in a team or how to get work done
    A lot of buttering works.

Advice to Management

Some 17 people have left your company in the last 6 months. This can be attributed to quite a few things like, an over zealous HR who is doing everything except the part of their job, an over confident CEO who thinks his arrogance can run the company, a pathetic hiring strategy where they don't know how to assign roles or responsibilities and finally pathetic office policies.

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mumbai

Pros

Amazing work culture, friendly people, lots of exposure and things to learn.

Cons

If you're looking for exposure and knowledge this is the place but if you are looking for a very high end pay with loads of benefits you're in for some disappointment.

"Probably the best work culture you are ever going to find."

I worked at WebEngage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When you are supercharged and excited to go to work on Mondays, I guess that is enough to validate how awesome is your work place. I guess the best part about Webengage is its people and its "employee first policy". For Engineering folks there are regular tech-session every week. People never let you get stuck in your work, help comes from all ways and means. If you need a bit of diversion you can anytime go and play couple of Table Tennis matches (there is no such thing as couple of matches at webengage :p )

Cons

I don't think there is anything much to say here. There were things that needed some improvements and with time things are surely getting better.

Advice to Management

I think its time to look for a bigger workplace.