Cloudera Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 17 May 2019

3.1

Sort:

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Cloudera (New York, NY (US)) in November 2017.

Interview

Applied through school career fair. Received online coding assessment. After completed the online assessment I waited for like 6 weeks until they asked for an onsite interview. During the onsite interview asked me about my resume, experiences. Just like any regular interview.

Interview Questions

• Design an APP for a distributed system   1 Answer

Application

Interview

The Interview process was pretty straightforward. The interviewer explained the format of the interview at the start, gave a brief about the organization and asked questions related to a project that I had worked on, technologies mentioned on the CV and a hypothetical situation related to architecture of an application.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Interview

Asked for my availability and then when I gave them a day I was available on, they scheduled my interview for the other day which was just 1 day before the interview.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Cloudera.

Interview

Acctually, I want to say that I didn't get the interview, but I should have.
    I gave my resume to Cloudera Staff in my university job fair, and I got e-mail saying that they want to have a interview with me in Tuesday or Wednesday.
    But I have stuff to do in these two days, so I send back to say I want to postpone it.
    They replied that I can only have interview in that two days.
    So I choose a time in Wednesday, but they replied that we can not have it in Wednesday.
    So I have to choose Tuesday.

I think you must guess it out.
    Again, they said they don't have time on Tuesday.

They will see if they have time in Thursday or Friday, which are the options I already offered in my first reply.

Finally, I got e-mail that they do not want to move forward on me.

What a ridiculous experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cloudera (New York, NY (US)) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview was divided into three sections:
    1. Questions based on resume
    2. Explain one of the project in detail. What were the challenges faced and how you overcame.
    3. Design whatsapp messenger. Scale it for large distributed data.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cloudera (New York, NY (US)) in November 2017.

Interview

I got a call from the Campus Career fair. I had online online test. Followed by an Onsite interview in their NYC office. They got back to me in a week. Transparent process. Friendly interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Java questions. Data Structures. Distributed Systems. App design.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Cloudera.

Interview

Applied through a referral. The recruiter got in touch the very same day and talked to the recruiter a couple of days later. He went over my resume to make sure I am qualified enough to actually talk with an engineer from the team. I was contacted for one position but I got called for an interview from a different team depending on my skills.

Interview with engineer :
    No nonsense. No small talk. No going over resume and projects either (could be because he didn't spot anything particularly interesting). He started with how the interview is going to be split. 20mins of coding question, 20 mins of concepts and 20 mins of other things.

Question : Write a function to do the "Exponentiation" . i.e power(a,b) where a is raised to b. Eg: power(3,2) gives 9. power(5,2) gives 25 etc.

I started with a naive approach of recursive multiplication, then he asked me about the complexity and asked me to give a better approach
    He worked with me in directing me to what he was looking for without giving out any clues or giving away the answer.
    This took 20-25 mins
    Then there were conceptual questions. Ranging from language specifics, algorithms to operating systems basics and synchronization. Some of the questions I remember are

1. Why did C++ introduce 'new' keyword when malloc was present in C
    2. What are virtual functions. What is the use?
    3. What are pure virtual functions. Why are they used?
    4. Difference between a thread and a process. (Depending on what you blurt, there will be some other questions on these), like what information does the thread stack have?
    5. What are the synchronization constructs? when to use spinlock and mutex?
    6. How is malloc implemented, give me the detailed description.
    7. Why do we have user mode and kernel mode?
    8. What is deadlock? what are the avoidance methods?

Again, the interviewer will have some topic in mind, but the questions asked will be on what you are speaking. They will definitely check whether you know what you are talking about.

Interview Questions

• Explain detailed implementation of malloc and questions based on that   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Cloudera.

Interview

Got a call from the HR who set up the phone screening. Technical interviewer called up on the scheduled day and time and we got started. It was my first experience of online based coding test where he asked me to write a solution to some problem. I wasn't prepared and it took a lot of time to solve only two problems.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cloudera.

Interview

The interview was mediocre . I provided answer with time complexity of O(n) while the interviewer wanted the textbook answer with time complexity of O(n) + O(n). In all theory books even though o(n) + o(n) is same as O(n) the fact is n < 2n, but maybe it was difficult for interviewer to understand the code I was writing because of her mediocre mind :) . I would definitely think twice before working for this company.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Cloudera (San Jose, CA (US)).

Interview

HR called to schedule an interview with one of Cloudera engineers. While I told them that I am a java developer the interview consisted mostly of C questions. There was a programming question during my phone interview to find the power of a number in log n solution but the interviewer said it was too complicated for him to understand. The optimum solution is using bitwise operators and I don't think any person will get to the bitwise solution in the given time. I used regular java to solve it and I got it right but the interviewer didn't try to understand it. Then he carried on asking C questions about virtual functions and how they work. He is questioning my knowledge on virtual table and all. Though I answered him he didn't seem like he understood what I am saying and the explanation he gave is wrong as well. He just skipped telling me the answer saying "you have to google it". Interview was pathetic. I don't want to interview with Cloudera in the near future if this person is the one doing phone interviews.

Interview Questions

• difference between malloc and new. How malloc works internally.   Answer Question

Cloudera Response

3 Nov 2014 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your feedback. We encourage all feedback Positive or Negative. Your comments have been noted and we will discuss this with our Engineering team. 'Candidate Experience' is very important to... More

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.