Konami Gaming, Inc. Interview Questions

Updated 8 Feb 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 14 of over 14 interviews

Interviews at Konami Gaming, Inc.

Positive36%
Negative29%
Neutral36%
Applied online64%
Recruiter18%
In Person9%
2.9
HardAverageEasy

Interviews for Top Jobs at Konami Gaming, Inc.

Konami Gaming, Inc.

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Konami Gaming, Inc.

Interview

Standard on-line application process. Started with 30-min phone interview with Mgr and his #1. If this goes well, its on to the main campus and a group interview with the Mgr and his top lieutenants.

Interview Questions
  • What's your favorite Konami game?
    1 Answer
  • How did you end up in gaming?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Konami Gaming, Inc. (Las Vegas, NV) in Oct 2020

Interview

Interview was a technical/ behavioral interview. I was asked some programming questions, and had to write simple code for a couple problems. Then I had the chance to ask questions regarding the job. I was not extended an offer.

Interview Questions
  • Write code for fizzbuzz problem.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Konami Gaming, Inc. (Las Vegas, NV) in Sep 2020

Interview

The process was a simple phone call where they ask questions about you and try to get an idea of how you approach your own thought process. It was done within the span of one hour but they did not contact me back to tell me they would not continue the process until I reached out.

Interview Questions
  • What are five things you would do to make a competing product.

Application

Interview

I applied to this company when I was down on my luck and had a very hard time finding a job. I noticed that the job kept showing up in my recommended feed for several months. Unfortunately, this was a major red flag to which I was oblivious: why would the job posting stay up for several months? They called me out of the blue one day and told me they were interested in having a phone screen with me. I happily obliged. The phone screen was particularly easy. They were mainly concerned with *hearing* a certain number of years of programming experience, and your view on the ethics of gambling. They are looking for someone to answer they're on neither end of the spectrum of gambling. About a few days later, I get a call from the recruiter and she was super excited to let me know that she wanted to invite me to do an on-site interview in the next week. (This is another problem they have: they call unannounced, which creates pressure for you to agree in the moment) I told her I couldn't answer that question right then and there because I wasn't home when she called, and that I needed to call her back when I had my calendar in front of me because I had a full schedule of interviews planned in the coming week. Immediately, her demeanor changed and she got incredibly defensive and upset telling me they're looking for someone who is committed to Konami and Konami only, and she threatened to pull the onsite request right then and there. I profusely apologized and tried to do damage control to save the interview. She reluctantly accepted my apology and allowed me to call back the next day with my availability on when I can come onsite. When I called the next day after looking at my calendar, I was met repeatedly with no answer. Given the difference in timezones, I decided to call back in an hour (after another phone interview that was scheduled with another company). About 20 minutes into the call, I get a rejection e-mail from Konami Gaming. At this point, I start feeling incredibly scared about what that meant. Why would the recruiter tell me I could call back, and then reject me? I thought it might've been a mistake, so I called back and was again met with voicemail. The recruiter promptly called me back 5 minutes later, and here's where the worst of their unprofessional process happened: The recruiter woman immediately starts dishing into me about how I could possibly think a rejection would be a mistake. She proceeded to yell at me for a good 5 minutes. She noted that I didn't seem very committed to working at Konami, and that it reflects poorly on her when she invites candidates who aren't *a sure thing* to the onsite. According to her, one should never mention they have other offers or interviews on the table, because HR shouldn't have to compete for me. (At every other company I've interviewed with, they want to know if you're in talks with other companies so that they can accelerate the hiring process before they lose you). It's incredibly unprofessional that they expect you to literally drop everything just for them in exchange for the CHANCE to interview with them. Really, I shouldn't just hung up on her but given that I was incredibly desperate for work at the time, I thought that *maybe* if I could just talk some sense into her, I could salvage the opportunity to interview and possibly secure the job. Nope. She explained to me that she called other candidates and invited them for the onsite instead and that the rejection was final. Now think about it: why is she allowed to invite multiple people for the onsite for ONE position, and I'm expected to drop everything just for them? I was utterly devastated by what happened because I was having such a hard time finding a job post-graduation, and I was incredibly salty about it all. But in the end, things worked out for me that I have a job at a FAANG making double what I would've here. I would seriously NOT recommend you deal with this company, as it seems they're trying to prey on candidates who are in a bit of desperation for a job. If it seems like you're going to give HR trouble, they'll drop you in a heartbeat.

Interview Questions
  • What are your moral and ethical views on gambling?
  • You may be expected to play some of our games out in the real world. What features do you think would keep you as a player engaged?
  • What is your experience with probability and statistics?

Konami Gaming, Inc.

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Konami Gaming, Inc.

Interview

The interview process was first a phone interview followed by a "take home" coding test in which 5 hours of time was allotted. When the test was evaluated an onsite interview was granted. During the onsite interview I spoke with the Director of the embedded software engineering group.

Interview Questions
  • The interview was primarily to see if I was a fit for the team as my technical abilities had already been accessed.
2 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Konami Gaming, Inc. (Las Vegas, NV) in Dec 2016

Interview

The process was formal, the interviewers appeared to have a set list of questions to ask. There were no trick questions. I hesitated on accepting because the reviews on Glassdoor were mostly negative. The experience I had with the interviewers was positive. I felt that they listened to the answers I gave. The job was accurately described and there were no surprises.

Interview Questions
  • Primarily it was on C++ programming, with some design patterns and overall software engineering and project development questions.
2 people found this interview helpful

Konami Gaming, Inc.

Application

I interviewed at Konami Gaming, Inc.

Interview

Pretty normal interview. Interview with art managers was fine. Normal basic questions you would expect. On the spot art critique on games the company has already done. Nothing crazy here, seems by the book and don't stray too far. The job requires a basic art fundamental understanding, nothing more. Pretty average interview

Interview Questions
  • How do you handle changes when asked?

Konami Gaming, Inc.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Konami Gaming, Inc. in Jun 2016

Interview

HR contacted me a few days after submitting my resume to schedule a phone screen. After the HR screen, there was a phone interview with the game design manager. A couple of days afterwards, I was flown out for an in person interview and met with the whole game design team. I was interviewed by the manager, the director of slot product, and finally the VP of Games R&D. Got a call back a few days afterwards from HR with an offer. Overall the process from first contact to job offer took a couple of weeks. Actually getting on board took at least 3 weeks because of the licensing and other regulatory hurdles. The in person interview consisted of a short math quiz and your standard interview questions. Honestly they seemed to be most concerned about me liking the work, since I had no prior experience with gaming. Just do your research on the company, find some Konami titles that look fun and/or interesting, and talk about why you like them from a game design and/or math standpoint. Bonus points if you can talk about China Shores, Dragon's Law, and Chili Chili Fire, all of which are successful titles.

Interview Questions
  • If you're on a casino floor, what's one feature that's going to make you sit down for a game no matter what?
3 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Konami Gaming, Inc. (Las Vegas, NV) in May 2015

Interview

I was called about 24 hours after I initially submitted my resume. I spoke with someone very briefly; she didn't ask me any specific questions and asked if I could come in the following week to interview in person. I needed to prompt her for details like who I'd be meeting with, interview format, etc. It was a bit of a red flag that the initial phone call wasn't more detailed. Shortly after we hung up, I received an email confirmation with the below text included (I included as much as I could in the 5k character limit for Glassdoor reviews). I'm a senior level professional with almost ten years of experience in Silicon Valley. The idea that I could be working for a company that would ask me to send something this patronizing was totally off putting. I was warned during my onsite that the company is Japanese (yes, obviously) and that the culture is one of professionalism and respect. I asked specific questions about their culture issues (well documented on Glassdoor) as enticing senior engineers to work for Konami would be part of my job description. They specifically stated that they wanted to lure engineers from Silicon Valley, which is when I brought this up. I was told the culture is inflexible, the perks are minimal and they aren't able to offer flexible schedules or a casual environment. What they can offer, I was told, is the prestige of working for Konami and for the right engineer, that should be enough. *eye roll*. It was clear that management has minimal experience actually working with or recruiting engineers, had severe budget constraints and absolutely no ability to contemplate the myriad of hiring issues in a creative way. I asked my interviewer specifically about Senate Bill 9 and she had never heard of it and had no knowledge or concept of how it would affect their hiring plan, even though the bill was largely sponsored by Konami Gaming. I was asked to follow up with a call the next week and when I emailed regarding scheduling I was told that I "need to be patient" and would hear back soon, which I did not. I was excited to interview with Konami but after experiencing their outdated approach to candidate outreach, I'm glad it didn't work out. TIPS TO PREPARE FOR YOUR INTERVIEW Research the company: Prior to your interview, research the company you are interviewing with online. User a search engine to find out locations, history, mission statement, and any information related to your job. Interviewers like to know you did your homework. Telephone Etiquette: Answer the phone yourself, let family members and/or roommates know you are expecting a call. When you answer the phone, answer with your name i.e. Jane Doe (in a perky tone of voice) so the interviewer knows they have reached the right person. Use the interviewer's title during the conversation (Mr. or Ms. and their last name). Only use a first name if they ask you to. Otherwise, use the formal title. Listen to the interviewer and don't interrupt. If you have something you want to say, jot it down on your note pad and mention it when it's your turn to talk. If you need a few seconds to gather your thoughts, don't worry, but don't leave too much dead air. If you need the interviewer to repeat the question, ask. During the phone interview, you'll need to sound as professional as you would if you were meeting the interviewer face to face: * Don't chew gum or eat while you're on the phone. * Have a glass of water close by, in case you need a sip or two during the conversation. * Standing up is an option to consider. Sometimes you can focus better when you're standing. * Be sure to smile. Smiling will project a positive image to the listener and will change the tone of your voice. * Speak slowly and enunciate clearly. * Don't ramble on so the interviewer can't interject or ask more questions. Thank you note: During the course of your interview, be sure to get the first and last name of every person you meet. If possible, ask for a business card from every team member with whom you interviewed. After your interview, promptly send out a brief thank you note to each interviewer to thank them for their time. Interviews are an investment on both ends, so be appreciative of the opportunity and let them know how much you enjoyed speaking with them (even if you didn't).

Interview Questions
  • How would you handle a manager who wants to terminate an employee? Most of the questions were very generic.

Konami Gaming, Inc.

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Konami Gaming, Inc. in Oct 2014

Interview

I met with 2 others after the generic HR questions. Again, I felt like these 2 were unprepared as well and were not very friendly. Based on the way the interviews were ran I felt that the company would not be a good fit for my personality. They seemed a bit snotty and uptight. I have since been told that some recruiters will no longer work to recruit for them because of how picky they are about hiring. They are looking for a "specific" person to fit their culture, but who knows what that culture is....quiet? Uptight? Unprepared? It was hard to get a feel for the culture because I felt like I never had a chance from the moment I shook their hands... maybe they are looking for someone that looks a certain way... Good luck! I've now seen the same position posted for over a month..

Interview Questions
  • HR goes through standard questions regarding specific negatives or positives from pervious jobs. She literally had a printed out sheet of basic questions....
4 people found this interview helpful