Baringa Partners Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

4.1
Baringa Partners Managing Partner Adrian Bettridge
Adrian Bettridge

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good understanding that being away from home can be a struggle from a work/life balance perspective" (in 17 reviews)

• "Ultimately there are just great people working here and it feels as though everyone is pulling in the same direction" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance is variable across teams" (in 23 reviews)

• "Long hours are frequently overlooked (" (in 9 reviews)

1. "Empowered teams"

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time

Pros

Dynamic, personable leaders, lots of people who care, a team able to make things happen autonomously

Cons

Hard to find a seat on fridays

"Thoughts on Baringa as a new Partner"

Current Employee - Partner in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Partner in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing People-oriented culture which was heavily marketed before I joined and has proven genuine through out my first couple of months
    Very client-centric approach in which the needs and priorities of clients are really clearly at the heart of our work

Cons

I think some of those who have been here for a while have perhaps forgotten or become acclimatised to how good it is here and how well people are looked after.
    Having worked in a large corporate for the last 13 years and one of the Big 4 consultancies for 10 years before that, I am so impressed by how good things are here

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

3. "Glass 8/10 full @ Growth pains worth enjoying"

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After a number of years, I feel gratefull for Baringa inviting me to a world of consulting from industry.
    They took a leap of faith. I did as well. It paid out for both - in revenues, and mutual development.

I arrived at the time when company was small enough for senior team to immediately know your name when bumping with you at the elevator. We are bigger now. Being bigger allows to go after bigger goals...it also comes with acceptance of growth pains...and enjoying those....

We are an FT 2018 no 1 consultancy in utilities alongside McKinsey - deep niche expertise, great people, clients being served flexibly and devotedly. And at better rates than certain competitors....

I can not vouch for non-energy, but based on people whom I do know in other BUs from famed social get aways, common courses and informal drinks/dinners , we deserve a similar ranking in FS and other new areas of work at the very least from “great people” and “passion” perspective....

Now for those of us, enjoying models, I gonna test Baringa through PERK (Purpose, Engagement, Resilience, Kindness) to arrive to my 8/10 Glass full.

1. Purpose.
    Clearly, we are moving towards a transformational global advisory firm with deep industry expertise, be it at energy, finance or even a temp theme such as Brexit.
    And our, inspirational, management leads the way jn finding ways to keep selling work - with differing success, which is a reality of consulting. So here is 8/10.

To get to 10, the firm already started rewarding the appropriate business development behaviour. In my personal view, an advisory firm thrives when it sells interesting work, which at turn motivates people (see 2 below).

2. Engagement.
    Great people, who are all brilliant to work together. A true pleasure. 10/10

3. Resilience.
    In consulting, flexibility and time pressure is what you sign up to. Key is how as a team, and firm you support this. Baringa since last year puts great effort in courses, leadership attention on WLB, mental health etc. 7/10.

To go to 10, is I think impossible - one needs to select when hiring people who are able to say No, but deliver when it matters, and if needed work to late night to flexibly go to a long breakfast with loved ones next day. CEO encourages such behaviour - himself a family man - and this is a great feature. WLB for advisory means ability to prioritise, and work hard when it matters, and relax afterwards to prepare for next hill.

4. Kindness
    How are we treating each other when we get bad news? Do we care? Do we ask about one’s holiday? Do we bring each other tea when its cold in office? Do we smile when seeing each other?
    We do....see above.
    This does not mean one is not confronted if sales targets, or utilisation, are not adressed. After all, its consulting - so kindness goes with together making profits....10/10

Cons

There are colleagues who see glass more empty - fair enough. To me, this is fine. I worked in quite a few organisations - Baringa is as good as it gets, for a commercial advisory business.

So there was some truth to posts “like a glove” from July 2017 - leadership picked up on those. Did they do a perfect job? Well join, and help further.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great people - like you do...

And lets change tradition of annual thank you to partners for keeping up with flexible work - it is from old times; now often both have a career....do keep inviting partners those to dinners like in Shard or Guildhall....that work wonders...

"Fake culture"

I worked at Baringa Partners full-time

Pros

Company events, CEO, benefits, Recruitment team, location

Cons

Fake culture and it's all they care about is statistics... there is no real involment in developing people or skills, not a balanced workforce..

Baringa Partners Response

1 Feb 2019 – Partner and People Lead

I am disappointed to read your comments, it would be helpful to understand what is behind them. Please reach out to me directly, so we can discuss together. David Harris (People Exec Lead)

5. "Fantastic people, great working culture, be careful to not dilute it"

I worked at Baringa Partners full-time

Pros

I left Baringa over the last few months and while I did not initially intend to leave a review I was quite surprised to read some overly exaggerated negative feedback and thought I could share mine. Let's start with what Baringa does well:
    - Probably the best working culture I have ever experienced in my career
    - Good non cash benefits (e.g. healthcare and travel cover)
    - Good understanding that being away from home can be a struggle from a work/life balance perspective. Therefore the company has a pretty unique policy where the more you are away from home the more extra holiday you get as well as salary increase (up to +25% if I remember correctly, could be wrong)
    - It is one of the few places where I actually made a number of friends, I always felt part of a team that cared for its members
    - You have a lot of room to explore different business ideas and are encouraged to develop new offerings if you are interested in this, even at the junior level
    - Base salary is pretty competitive
    - Quite a few reviews have mentioned the parties, that's true but I would focus more on all the social events. I had a very good time in each one of them
    - Good career progression, assessment process is pretty transparent and seems fair

Cons

- Pension is absolutely not up to what a company of that size should offer, you get the mandatory minimum
    - Bonus is not really a bonus but a profit share scheme, it looked like it is below competition for a given grade and banding (at least when I compared against my friends')
    - Probably too much communication on why Baringa is great, especially when it comes to work life balance. While I had a fantastic time overall at the firm, there were times when was struggling. Same is true for Baringa. Baringa is a very good workplace but not the best and the more the company grows the more people will feel disconnected if the messaging is only about "we are the best". The recent negative reviews on glassdoor prove the point. Gone are the days when Baringa had only 300 employees. Consultants do work hard, it is the nature of the job. While Baringa has an OK work life balance for a consultancy it is definitely worse that what we see at our clients'.
    - It looks like Baringa has an opportunistic approach to work, would be great to see more emphasis on strategy and have people to actually execute it.
    - Can Baringa grow and maintain its DNA? It sometimes looked like the firm was headed towards the same type of culture we could see at the Big4/Accenture.

Advice to Management

- Increase pension contributions, if reluctant to increase base pension then increase matching to 5/6/7 or even 8%
    - Communicate less aggressively and why we are a Great Place to Work, explore more what Baringa is not good at and be open about it.
    - Reduce the number of internal initiatives consultants have to be involved in, half of them do not lead to anything and they do have an impact on work life balance as time can only be dedicated after client work is done.

"A CULT surviving on deceptive and aggressive marketing"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are definitely some advantages to working here. Some negative posters need to understand that this is not a Big 4 or prestigious consultancy, and never will be! If you are working for a low-end service provider, it is important to take that into perspective. It is unfair to complain about poor pay, pensions and poor internal operations.

- Most people are agreeable and a pleasure to work with.

- Generous pay and benefits for what it’s worth

- The company wants to do well and has a strong appetite for growth. Unfortunately, partners go about it in the worst ways possible!

- Yearly international getaways are a good and welcome incentive

- Flat structure and you get to have your say. They show that they care. Despite being deceptive, it can often be encouraging

- If you wish to have an easy work environment due to life events etc., this is not a bad place to spend some time

- I disagree with the complaints around long hours. Success in this company is all about fitting into their cliques, which most people realize very quickly. It is much easier to do that than produce quality work.

- The award for recruitment referrals is a dinner voucher with a partner. It is nice to have something different that gets you visibility to senior management, as opposed to a cash award

Cons

- Senior management coerce you into cultish behaviours. Corporate bullying is rife. If you don't play along, they will get back at you. The CEO is the main driver of these behaviours. However, he is great at maintaining his image and getting other people to put his cultish ideals into practice!

- The German, US and Australian offices have been performing poorly and sucking up our bonuses. This is extremely demoralizing. UK staff work hard and we suffer for poor performance in other locations.

- There are many partners who have not sold a single project and have been here for years. They are around only because of the “close-knit old mens’ clique”. They tell you that they take diversity seriously, but the reality is very disturbing! They have put a few mascots here and there to cover their tracks.

- The partners force employees into aggressive marketing tactics. The global head of financial services asks new employees to open up their Linkedin profiles and introduce him to their contacts. I haven’t worked in another consultancy before, so can’t comment if this is common practice. It certainly felt very awkward!

- The marketing tactics on Linkedin actually hurt the company. As a client once said, “Your activity on Linkedin should get alarm bells ringing!” They get low-end publishers to put out deceptive stats and then aggressively market them on Linkedin!

- At corporate events, staff and their partners are allotted shared accommodation with other families to save money. Employees have been brainwashed to the point that they defend it saying it is a good way to “network”. Almost all staff use Easyjet or Ryanair for corporate travel

- The company events are straight out of a sitcom. At dinner, employees are asked to rise and their significant others to “take a moment to appreciate the effort of their partners”. It is so corny! If you want to build a cult, at least TRY to be subtle about it.

- The CEO walks down the aisle in black-tie attire alongside a lady in a shiny gown for the awards ceremony. The environment reeks of a “pretentious wannabe upper-class” group. My friends couldn’t stop laughing when I showed them a video I took.

- The partners keep boasting about winning the “Best Workplace award”. The process is rigged. Individuals are hand-picked to provide feedback with no anonymity. They also spend considerable effort in preparing the submission just to get the award. And a lot more telling everyone about it.

- The knowledge and skills in the company are pathetic. This is unlikely to get better as they continue to recruit people who are like them. People who can write two lines of code are forced to label themselves “ethical hackers”. The worst part is partners don’t realize how foolish they look in doing these things.

Advice to Management

NOTE: THE COMPANY WILL POST SEVERAL POSITIVE REVIEWS AFTER THIS ONE TO PUSH IT TO THE NEXT PAGE!

As you can tell, I have very little faith in this company. I will be leaving in the new year to go back to industry. Most people miss Mohamed Mansour who led the company to a strong start.

Check the history of reviews on Glassdoor– whenever a negative review has been posted, a quick succession of positive reviews follow! I would also encourage readers to check the review titled “Like a glove?”, 13th July, 2017. It has good and balanced views that many of us agree with. Also, be sure to read Baringa’s response to it! It screams “gibberish defensive rhetoric”

Baringa Partners Response

5 Dec 2018 – Partner and People Lead

I am disappointed to read this review and would encourage you to reach out to me to discuss your experience. David Harris (People Partner).

"Still a great place to work"

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For consulting, this is as good as it gets. People care about you, they support your personal ambitions and most of the time you work with great colleagues. You can also drive your own career and you are supported to figure out what you enjoy quite early on. Work life balance is discussed a lot and they are always trying new ways to make this lifestyle work for your circumstances

Cons

Pension is well below market average so ask for 5% more in your base salary to compensate. It can feel geared towards people with kids and families and less considerate of those where this may not be their life goal. Also recent hires in the partnership have been from big 4 who have brought their culture over with them so be conscious of that.

Advice to Management

Don’t leave flexible working and support until people have families. Figure out ways to support those without just as much.

"Senior Consultant at Baringa"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Baringa has the best culture of any consulting firm I have worked for (out of 3). Leadership truly care about their people, and our current managing partner oozes this with every word and action that he says and does.
    Baringa recognises that the volume of travel and being away from home isn't something anyone really enjoys, and so it compensates employees on "out of town" projects both financially and with additional holidays. This is something I have never seen at any consultancy and one that sets Baringa apart and demonstrates how much they care about their people.
    Baringa has been the first consultancy to accept me for who I am, and I have watched its people do the same with many other new joiners. We strive hard not to simply hire in our own image and I feel we already have quite a diverse workforce, but never one to rest on our laurels we are still working hard to push the message of diversity across the company.
    Furthermore, Baringa is full of bright, passionate and smart people. We are not a corporate SI giant, and if you are tired of that life I would highly suggest Baringa is a step in the right direction to better work life balance, but just as interesting work.

Cons

There are few downsides I have seen to working at Baringa. As with any consultancy, you do have to travel, and you do have to occasionally do a role that doesn't fit your skillset, but you can't ever avoid that in consulting.
    My biggest downside at the moment is that we have grown so much in the last year our home office in London is getting rather full on Friday's when most people come in, but it's manageable and we've been acquiring other space in an nearby building to help this.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Adrian is a fantastic managing partner and I personally have never been more motivated by a leader. I believe that we can still maintain a "small boutique consulting firm" mentality even as we grow beyond that size if people hold true to the values that Baringa was built on.

"Best Party does not mean Best Employer"

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time

Pros

There are a number of positives in working a Baringa:
    - some genuinely interesting and challenging client work
    - a good awareness of work/life balance within the consulting space
    - some of the best parties/company events
    - some genuinely awesome colleagues

Cons

So, where is Baringa currently going wrong?
    - Geographic growth - the strategy to build successful businesses internationally for Baringa has to be a case book example for business schools on how not to do this. The current leadership has been remarkably poor at addressing these underperforming parts of the business and fixing the problems.
    - Diversity - Baringa needs to do so much more to embrace diversity in all it’s facets and not try and build a business where everyone is a clone of the current Senior Partners - there is lots of rhetoric in the firm about being 'diverse and building diversity' but the sad truth is Baringa only likes square pegs, so if you are a little bit round on the edges, it will be much much harder for you to develop your career. Baringa is losing so many great people because of this.
    - Compensation - Benefits are so-so - apart from the parties. To attract and keep great people Baringa needs to have a better overall package.
    - Leadership - Great leadership has high levels of self awareness, they recognise they are not perfect, they genuinely take on board feedback, they are receptive to constructive criticism. Even at Partner level I have heard that some Partners do not share their views due to a fear of not being seen to ‘tow the company line’.

Mohamed Mansour understood all this when he helped crete Baringa - we could really do with some of that ethos again.

Advice to Management

Truly create the open culture you talk about and do not destroy an awesome company.

10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very talented people, strong culture, work life balance

Cons

Brand awareness is a little bit behind but expertise continues to grow in many areas

Advice to Management

Consolidate location footprint and investments made in the past.