FactSet Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

FactSet Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated 3 Apr 2019

268 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at FactSet.

Interview

The hiring process starts with a phone interview. The interviewer asked some basic Data Structure/Algorithm questions. I was not asked to write code though.Then the recruiter contacted me to schedule an onsite interview. The onsite interview has 3 technical rounds, in every technical round there will be two engineers, 1 HR round and 1 Director round. The first technical round consists of Code Review. I was asked to find problems in a linked list implementation written in C++ although i am not a C++ guy but the problems were logical in nature and could be easily figured out even if you dont know C++. The second round was design round. Asked me to design an inverted index based search engine. In the third round they asked me to design an arithmetic expression evaluator, which basically means that you need to know about converting an infix expression to post fix expression and then evaluating the posfix expression. Then the HR took an overall feedback from me regarding the interview process. The last round was Director round in which my overall past experiences were discussed.

Interview Questions

• How will you evaluate an arithmetic expression. (Infix->Postfix->Postfix evaluation)   1 Answer

Negotiation

I negotiated and got a better deal. I would say that if you have a resonably good feedback from the HR then you should try to negotiate.

Other Interview Reviews for FactSet

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at FactSet.

Interview

I turned in resume through career fair and they contacted me around 2 weeks later for on campus interview. The interview started with technical questions. The one question was converting complete tree to double linked list.

Interview Questions

• Questions were expectable. It was matter of how much you practice coding on a paper.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at FactSet.

Interview

Met at career fair, received an email to schedule a phone interview. It was a 50/50 behavioral-technical interview. A quick data structure manipulation question, and questions about experience.

Went onsite for a final round--1 code review, 2 technical interviews, and behavioral. The company is awesome, and everyone was super nice. Still waiting to hear about an offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at FactSet in October 2014.

Interview

I applied on campus career fair. I got response for a phone interview about 10 days later. I was assigned a software manager from New York office. HR asked me to attached my sample code and my resume before interview, but obviously that interviewer didn't read anything before interviewing at all! And just made up a question during the call

Interview Questions

• to design an application to search a particular document which saved in a tree.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at FactSet (New York, NY (US)) in May 2014.

Interview

Had 2 rounds of telephonic interview for a database developer role. After they were satisfied was called onsite for a full day interview. Started the day with database design, then next round was to write specific queries. Followed by object oriented questions. The department manager took me out for lunch where he discussed about the work environment and the expectations from the role. The last was an HR discussion round.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were scenario based so if you have come across the scenario you would be able to answer   Answer Question

The pay was not sufficient for me.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at FactSet (Norwalk, CT (US)) in January 2011.

Interview

I initially applied for a job through a friend and didn't get a callback. After a few months another position opened and I applied again through the friend. A few weeks went by and they called back. First I was contacted by a recruiter, then I had a phone interview, then I came in for an in-person interview.

The in-person was a whole day. It started with a presentation of their product, then a code review, two design reviews, a lunch, and finally an interview with the director of the department.

Several days later I received a phone call with an offer.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question presented to me was a C++ code sample that I had to review. It contained numerous logical and syntax errors, as well as poor coding. I had to debug the sample by hand and explain how I would fix the code or re-implement it. The difficulty was doing so on pen and paper and catching all of the problems, including several very subtle ones.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at FactSet (Norwalk, CT (US)) in June 2013.

Interview

Applied after seeing job listing on indeed.com, After an initial phone round covering basic programming/algorithms, was asked to come on-site for an interview. Company paid for transportation and hotel.

Spent the day interviewing with various members of the company, some HR, but most of the interviews were technical. Most interviews focused on proficiency with algorithms and data structures, although there was a code review that required strong syntactic knowledge.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at FactSet (Norwalk, CT (US)) in July 2014.

Interview

I had applied through an employ referral. The recruiter contacted me within a week, to identify what roles I would be suitable for. Within two working days, I was invited for a phone screen. The phone screen was conducted by an engineer. The interviewer asked me about my resume and a simple coding question (sieve of erastothenes). I expected them to get back within a week, but to my surprise, the recruiter got back to me within a few hours, inviting me onsite for an interview.

The onsite interview began initially with a demo of the product. This demo is really helpful in formulating questions for the later rounds ;-) Coming to the technical rounds, the first of my technical rounds was a code review. The same Triangle class as the previous posters. This was followed by a coding/algorithms round. In this round, I was asked a "starter" question, to ease me into the process. The question was to pop the minimum from the stack. This was followed by a question, explained in the next section. To answer the same we required to implement disjoint sets. I told the interviewers that I shall use a height balancing BST (like AVL). This I said, would reduce the worst case search/insert/delete to O(log n). The interviewers probably misunderstood me, and maintained that the worst case height is O(n) for a BST (can't be denied :-) ) . This was followed by a system design question, where I had to design a system for expressions (expr = literal|expr + expr|-expr) without wasting effort on parsing. I tried to impress them with class diagrams. BIG mistake! Just write your classes and get done with it! This was followed by a round with the hiring manager. This round is essentially a resume review, and multiple technical discussions.

Finally, I was taken out for lunch by a member of the Security Assurance team. Having a background in security, he talked about the team and opportunities in them. Finally, I had a Behavioral interview with the recruiter.

They again promised to get back to me within a week, and to my surprise got back in two days!!! Alas, it was a reject, but overall an enjoyable and quick interview experience.

Interview Questions

• Given a graph and an online stream of its edges (like a social network, where edges are the friendships built at that given instant), find the first incoming edge at which the graph is fully connected!   1 Answer

Application

Interview

Applied on the company website. Got a call from the HR for a phone interview and was then invited to their Norwalk office for on site interview. The process was very professionally handled by the HR. I chose C++ as my primary language.
    1. A very thorough introduction to their products, almost like a client training session.
    2. Code walk through. The triangle (mentioned by a few other candidates) class with a zillion errors. Easy but very tedious, you have to watch for dummy loops and wasted function calls.
    3. Data structures and algorithms. Trees, graphs and basic sorting.
    4. C++ language and OOPS. Couple of newbies asked me trick questions with virtual destructors etc. Was asked to implement atoi function. Then discussed design for a chess game.
    5. Lunch
    6. A happy conversation with their head of engineering.
    7. Perfunctory HR interview.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected. Construct trees given the node orders.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FactSet (Norwalk, CT (US)).

Interview

1.1 hour technical phone interview-basic about C++,algorithms,data structures
    2.Onsite interview request after 1 week
    3.At onsite:
                   1. code review of a triangle class in C++
                   2.OOP concepts questions,design a tennis board game
                   3. write a code to add 2 reversed link lists and return the reversed link list
                   4.write a code to detect a cycle in a directory structure
                  5.HR interview
    4.done for the day

Interview Questions

• except for the code review and tennis board design game   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.