Amazon Operations Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 19 Mar 2019

3.4

301 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Operation Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Conducted a phone interview with an HR personnel - 30 min interview mainly; questions: tell me about yourself, how do you motivate employees.
Phone interview with the site managers / Operation Leaders - all situational questions - learn the leadership principles and be ready with examples that would demonstrate how you are applying them at work. This is very important for Amazon, it is more important to have the culture fit than years of experience.
Example of questions: tell me about a time when you got your employees engaged, most recent failure, responsible for performance of non-direct employees, time when you exceed expectations, example for bias for action, deep dive analysis on data, example of a metric that identified need for a change, etc.
You would then be invited to an on-site interview where you would have 4-5 back to back interviews (45 min each) with direct manager, colleague, cross-functional colleague (for example quality or finance), HR personnel (who would mainly ask team management questions). They ask different questions still all around situational and behavioral questions that would demonstrate the leadership principles.

It is important to prepare questions to ask the interviewees - these need to be smart, and indicate that you have done your homework and understand the job and what it requires. Have questions for each of the interviewee (max 3 questions), make sure they are different and relate to the person you are interviewing with. For example, ask about what are the measures for success for this role, what are the challenges they are facing, etc.

You would be asked to submit before the on-site interview a written interview (a simple question that you would need to answer in 3-4 pages)

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were bias for action (At the time I did not go through the leadership principles thoroughly and I didn't understand what he meant)   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Operation Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in North Charleston, SC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (North Charleston, SC (US)) in March 2016.

Interview

I had a phone interview with a Senior Operation Manager! He was very relatable and open minded.
    He gave a great description of his background and he also shared his perspective on Amazon culture which was very enlightening!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you felt your team was not moving to action quickly enough. What did you do?   1 Answer

Operation Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in June 2015.

Interview

Phone interview was not difficult but the manager who interviewed is big on managerial/supervisory question. I didn't have a lot experience doing supervisory tasks. My experience is handling/managing operation and working with a team and not as a direct manager. Math question is easy, same question posted here.

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Atlanta, GA (US)) in February 2018.

Interview

The process took 10 weeks from my application to the job offer. Other than waiting weeks between each step of the process it was very simple. The final interview was intensive but good

Interview Questions

• They use the STAR interviewing questioning format, "tell me about a time when you had to coach a difficult employee   2 Answers

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in January 2018.

Interview

Process was very thorough. Behavioral based questions. I was very impressed with interviewers. They were inspiring and knowledgeable. The interview was also accompanied by a site tour which showed the operation of the facility.

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

They send out a lot of information before the in person interview. They provide their unique list of leadership principles, that focus on inventiveness, accountability, customer service, ingenuity, leadership, creativeness, and having a backbone. Then they proceed to hold an interview completely counter intuitive of their principles. They buy into the rigid format of STAR interview responses that seem to go cross grain of the type of managers they are looking for. They give a ridiculous math test to see if you understand how to adjust manning levels and where to most effectively use manpower. All the meantime telling you it has nothing to do with the math. A high tech firm like Amazon relying on people to do long math? If you make it to this level of interview I am sure you understand the concepts of manpower. so basically I surmise that Amazon high management attrition rate is due to the interview process and who they hire. People who are slick in interviews is usually because they have interviewed a lot and have practice at it. Do you want someone who interviews well or people who meet your leadership principles. Canned questions with responses graded on required formatted responses probably wont get you cutting edge leaders who think outside the box and have excelled due to thinking outside the structured format. The interview process was off setting to me and not what I expected from Amazon, and their reputation. I walked in, interviewing Amazon as much as they were interviewing me, I walked away unimpressed, knowing it was not a fit for me.

Interview Questions

• canned questions, just google STAR interview   2 Answers

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon in October 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reaches out to you regarding interest and does initial interviews. A one page writing sample is requested prior to sending you onsite to one of the fulfillment centers where there is a tour followed by 4 individual interviews.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when something didn't go as planned, what did you do?   1 Answer

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allentown, PA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Allentown, PA (US)) in March 2017.

Interview

It was a three part interview. I had a phone interview first very easy. Than they flow me up for a in person interview. I had to interview with three different people. The process took a couple of hours.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle staff calling out?   1 Answer

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in January 2017.

Interview

Was sought after and recruited via LinkedIn. Recruiter provided several documents on interviewing techniques, behavioral interview insights and job description for purposes of interview preparation. The company will not provide any feedback if you are not selected, only to try again after a year. It would be unlikely that I would pursue career endeavors with Amazon due to a lack of transparency and their current corporate policy against providing valuable feedback to candidates. Furthermore, as a veteran leader with more than 10 years experience in operations and sales, not knowing what experience the organization has deemed to require more focus makes it challenging to say the least.

Interview Questions

• Was given the standard interview questions such as background questions, situational examples of leading teams, overcoming employee challenges, and creating processes that improved or streamlined a process.   1 Answer
    • Asked to perform a mathematical equation based on 150 units per hour with 30 employees, 2 being indirect who were given two 15 minute breaks, with a 8 hour shift and a 40 hour work week. How many units per hour within a 40 hour week.   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA (US)) in April 2018.

Interview

Started the process speaking with a military recruiter. After sitting down with an operations leader at a military recruiting event, the recruiter informed me she wanted to move forward with my application, but then had spotty communication. I ended up applying online through Amazon's website and getting through the process faster that way.

I applied online in early-January; a corporate recruiter contacted me in February to set up a phone screen (30 min interview with math question - same as what's already on glassdoor); found out two days later I passed the phone screen and was notified they would contact me for an in-person interview and that it could take a couple months (yes - I typed that correctly). Corporate recruiter contacted me in late-March to set up my interview in mid-April. They flew me to the interview location, 8 of us received a tour of the FC, completed another math problem, and then interviewed with 4 individuals (30-45 mins each).

Interview Questions

• Phone Screen - why Amazon?

Math questions - phone screen & in-person - same type as what's already on glassdoor.

Behavior based questions requiring STAR format answers   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.