Amazon Software Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Interviews at Amazon

2,062 Interview Reviews

3.2

Software Development Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA (US)) in December 2017.

Interview

I applied in September and received an offer in December.

I received an invitation to complete the first online assessment in November. The first part was a 7 question debugging quiz. I got all 7 programs working. The second part was a multiple choice test that was more or less an IQ test. I'm fairly certain I got a high score on this part as well.

I received an invitation to complete the second online assessment a week later. I was given two programming questions. One was inserting a Node into a sorted circularly linked list. The second was determining how many times a robot would need to retrieve bins given an array of bin ID's and assuming the robot can only hold N bins at the same time and would return the least recently retrieved bin. I passed all test cases for both programs.

About 2 weeks later, I was contacted to schedule a video interview. I had my video interview 2 weeks after that. The first problem was to return a pair of integers that sum up to a target sum from an array of unique integers. My first solution used a HashSet and had O(n) time and space complexity. The interviewer asked me to give him a way to reduce the space complexity. My second solution used a sort and had O(n log n) time and O(1) space complexity. He asked me to code either one so I coded the second solution. The second problem he gave me was to determine if an ArrayList of Nodes was given in preorder. For this problem, he didn't expect me to have enough time to code it and just wanted me talk through how I would solve it. I proposed a solution that would add the Nodes to a Graph and then use a DFS to add the Nodes to a List and compare that against the given ArrayList. The interviewer then gave me 5 minutes to ask him questions.

Given that I had an offer deadline for another company 3 days after the interview, Amazon was a bit slow to extend the offer. I emailed Amazon a couple of times and extended my other offer. I never got a reply but I received an offer 7 business days after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Given a sorted circularly linked list of Nodes that store integers and a new Node, insert the new Node into the correct position. (Duplicates allowed)   4 Answers
  • How many times will a robot need to retrieve bins if it is given an array of bin ID's and it can only hold N bins at a time? When the robot is already holding N bins, it will return the least recently retrieved bin and store the new bin.   3 Answers
  • Given an array of unique integers, return a pair of integers that sum up to a target sum.   6 Answers
  • Given an ArrayList of Nodes, with each Node having an ID and a parent ID, determine whether the List is given in preorder.   6 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Software Development Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon in December 2016.

Interview

1 reasoning test, 1 Coding test and an interview. Interview was on phone call. Covered arrays, linked lists and complexities of the given algorithms. O(n) notation asked. Follow leetcode and hackerrank easy questions.

Software Development Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

I would like to let you all know how I feel about Amazon's hiring process. This is my experience:

Situation 1: I got an email from the Hiring Manager himself and we set up an informational chat. The chat went very well and he told me that the HR will call me for the next few rounds. I waited for a month and did not get any response from them.
    I emailed the hiring manager 4 times but did not get any response. Finally, I wanted to set up a call with him and that's when his junior manager told me that the position had been called off.
    The least I expected was a mail from them!

Situation 2: I got an email from a recruiter letting me know that she is interested in my resume. We set up a quick phone call and she did not call me. I waited for 30 minutes and sent her an email. She responded immediately and we had a chat. I understand that sometimes our calender' gives us trouble but what I did not like was that while she was talking to me, she was eating and having other conversations with people. I thought this was rude and Amazon needs to learn how to communicate with aspiring candidates!

Software Development Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon in January 2015.

Interview

Phone interview coding on a shared doc. It was meant to be specifically for a software development position so the interview was with a current engineer. They were not exactly the easiest to talk to, but the interview was relatively low pressure. Anyone with a good understanding of computer science should be able to succeed at least through the phone stages, and at the very least offered an on-site or in person interview.

Interview Questions

• Highly technical coding question.   3 Answers

Software Development Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Columbus, OH (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

first round, online assessment, second, phone interview, write code. For online assessment, you have a hour and half to implement two sections : debug program and logic questions. You have 6 debug programs to fix and 20 logic questions to answer. The internet is not stable which takes a lot of time to finish. A phone interview asks me to write code on a website and he can see what I have written

Interview Questions

• 6 debug questions for first round.
      String processing like 1. reverse a string 2. judge whether two strings are permulation 3 find all permutation of a string   4 Answers

Software Developer Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in June 2018.

Interview

The SDE Intern Interview Process consist of two online assessment and a 45 minute virtual interview. Online Assessment, Part 1 consist of code debugging and logic/problem solving multiple choice questions. The code debugging questions were pretty easy and the logic/problem solving questions include basic aptitude test questions. I got 5/7 debugging questions correct and got link for the next assessment. This Online Assessment, Part 2 had the coding problems and work style simulation questions. I got only one of them correct with all the test cases passed. For the second question I was getting an exception. Still I got call for the final interview. This was a 45 minute virtual interview with an Amazon Software Development Engineer. It went pretty well. First 20 minutes it was resume walk through, next 10 minutes he asked me behavioral question and finally I had the technical question which I was able to answer. But unfortunately I was not selected to move forward. But overall it had a good interview experience with Amazon.

Interview Questions

• When your manager ask you to find the sum of two numbers what all questions will you ask him back to clarify his question?   3 Answers

Software Developer Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA (US)) in January 2018.

Interview

Got first online assessment, passed 7/7 test cases, did well on IQ portion.
    Got second assessment, passed all test cases on both problems.
    Got interview request, filled out survey for date and time. Interviewer was pleasant, question was simple
    Just interviewed, waiting to hear back

Interview Questions

• Write breadth-first search in a matrix   5 Answers

Software Developer Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA (US)) in March 2019.

Interview

I am still preparing for the phone interview, but before that, you basically need to pass two online tests. First, I submitted my resume and application through their online platform, and then, after a few days, I got their email that asks me to finish some online assessments. You don't need to get everything right to go to the next level.

Interview Questions

• First the first one they asked me to debug some code and then I got some logic questions.   2 Answers

Software Developer Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Dallas, TX (US)) in March 2019.

Interview

First Round was all about Logical questions and Debugging simple questions. Once we clear that round the next round is Coding round where we get 2 questions to solve in 90 minutes.

Interview Questions

• There was a question based on String and one based on traversal of tree.   1 Answer

Software Developer Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in January 2017.

Interview

One Aptitude and debugging round.
    One coding Round which included two questions. Both the questions were easy.
    Phone Screen which included a bit of HR questions and then coding via an online sharing forum.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.