Zendesk Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Zendesk Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Zendesk

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Zendesk (San Francisco, CA (US)) in December 2019.

Interview

Very friendly people and cozy office. Dress-code required (business casual). Good time management. Phone screening with tech leads of the team. Onside Interview with engineers from the future team. Quick response.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Zendesk

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Zendesk (San Francisco, CA (US)) in June 2019.

Interview

Applied online. Had a call with the recruiter. Then a phone interview with live coding. The tech interviewer went straight to the coding exercise at the start of the interview. The question wasn't that tough, and after a few deliberation, I was able to solve the problem. The interviewer then talked about a home coding exercise which I would be asked to do, and I should be expecting an email regarding that. 10 min after the completion of the interview, I find this automated rejection email. I was surprised. Seeing the rejection email, I sent an email to the recruiter for some feedback on where I felt short. No response. I feel like I went through a SHAM interview, as is so common in silicon valley ( to sponsor the visa folks ?) .....Total disgrace !!

I had applied at Zendesk as I heard good things about them, but this experience left a bad taste in me, and it tells a lot about the culture and what it must be like working over there !! Never again !! Not worth wasting time for such horrible companies !!

Software Engineer() Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Zendesk (San Francisco, CA (US)) in May 2018.

Interview

Got a questionnaire from HR and after that, a zoom interview was set up after a week. It was coderpad interview and went well. Got positive feedback from the interviewer and was told to expect next round call in next week. But heard nothing from HR for next 2 weeks. And finally got reject stating selected another candidate. After few weeks again got an email from HR stating that they reopended the position and were asking if I am still interested. I went ahead with them and got an onsite interview call. 3 rounds - 2 coding and 1 system design.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Zendesk (San Francisco, CA (US)) in March 2018.

Interview

Email from recruiter with a number of questions to respond to, then a technical interview over video call. Finally an onsite with some whiteboarding and some systems design questions. Coding questions were generally easy; process was very smooth overall.

Interview Questions

• Describe how to implement a hash table   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Zendesk (San Francisco, CA (US)) in January 2018.

Interview

Recruiter found me through LinkedIn and reached out. Set up a short introductory phone screen. Phone screen was the typical recruiter call: asked about experiences and talked about the opportunities available.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Zendesk (San Francisco, CA (US)) in September 2017.

Interview

Quick phone chat with the internal recruiter to introduce me to their interview process and the company culture. Then another skype call with the Hiring Manger that was 50% discussion and 50% code challenge on coderpad.

After that I was flown out to SF for a full days interview with the team. I think there were 6 interviews all up with my potential peers. There was one pairing session to fix a bug in a ruby library, two interviews that were whiteboard excersizes the rest were discussions about the role and my experience.

I was not offered the role as they wanted someone with more people management experience and offered to introduce me to other teams that were looking for engineers. I was lucky enough to be offered something in another company so didn't pursue anything further with Zendesk.

Interview Questions

• Fix a bug in a ruby library, some algorithm questions and high level system architecture problem solving.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zendesk.

Interview

Had a brief call with the Recruiter and then scheduled a call with the Engineering Manager. He never called and we rescheduled multiple times. Each time, he never called and we continued to rescheduled until finally, received a rejection.

One of the most unprofessional interviews I ever had. I am disappointed in the recruiting quality of Zendesk. I don't ever expect to have an opportunity with them again.

Interview Questions

• What is your background? Have you worked with Ruby on Rails and React/Redux?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zendesk (San Francisco, CA (US)) in June 2017.

Interview

Most unprofessional HR I've encountered in my career. She never called since she was stuck on some train. Then asks me for a new time. I send her new time. She never responds back. Next day I check jobvite, says 'Not Selected'. Like wtf? I want to seriously report her incompetence.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Zendesk (San Francisco, CA (US)) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online and began email correspondence with a recruiter a few weeks after I dropped off my resume.

I eventually got to speak with my recruiter on the phone and learned more about what Zendesk has to offer and the products that Zendesk supports. Afterwards, I was sent a coding challenge that I completed quickly and sent it back to my recruiter for review.

About two weeks later, I was set up to have a phone call with someone from the team that I would potentially be a part of. The call was non-technical and really gave me more perspective on how interns would be involved with projects and more about the overall work culture.

A week later, I got invited to an onsite interview at the SF headquarters where I had the opportunity to meet most of the team that I'd be potentially put on. There were 6 interviews and most were a mix of technical and behavioral.

Overall, my experience interviewing with Zendesk has been super positive and I attribute this to their great HR. My recruiter was very transparent and helpful throughout the entire process. The in person interviewers were also very nice and supportive even when I would get stuck during the interview.

Interview Questions

• Your standard coding challenge + whiteboard questions   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zendesk (San Francisco, CA (US)) in April 2017.

Interview

The typical format:
    1) Recruiter screening
    2) Technical screening
    3) Onsite

The onsite itself was for about a half day, with 4-5 rounds and lunch with the potential boss. In one round, the interviewer literally made up the question on the spot. I had to help him compose the question. In two other rounds, the questions were almost exactly identical. I could tell that they did not coordinate with each other at all before asking me these questions. The last round was a system design question and the interviewer there was nice and polite.

I just had a up and down experience with this process. None of the questions were difficult, but none of the questions seem to be prepared either. It was almost too easy and open ended that I'm still trying to figure out what I did wrong. I had extra time to spare in each round, but there wasn't much substance in each question to adequately test my knowledge of the subject matter.

No call to explain what happened, just the standard rejection email. Kind of a bummer, and a waste of my time.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.