Holiday Extras Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

3.8
Holiday Extras CEO Matthew Pack
Matthew Pack

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Remote and flexitime working; if you want to work from home you can and choose hours that suit you home life (in 13 reviews)

• The work life balance is pretty decent too (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Call centre very separate to the rest of the company (in 8 reviews)

• The hierachy in the business is really fluid (which also has it's good points) which makes career progression a tough prospect (in 3 reviews)

1. "Travel consultant"

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

Amazing company, lots of benefits, profit share, free bbqs, parties, well being week, Christmas and Halloween dress up, birthday off as paid

Cons

Call centre very separate to the rest of the company

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing - I miss it!

2. "Management - Holiday Extras"

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

Great staff benefits, constant support, understanding management team.

Cons

Communication is not always proactive

"Pound signs! Not people!"

Current Employee - Contact Center Agent in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun days, The contact centre staff, Bonus structure

Cons

Time off the phones for fun days, Managers, Call quality measures, favouritism

Advice to Management

Please Read this with a open mind,
     I am currently working here at Holiday extras and I want to tell you how I really feel about this company as I feel like I cannot talk to any managers here.
     At first you will be greeted with all these happy images on the website or around the building of people smiling, laughing and having coffee and chats and meetings while seeming really relaxed and really enjoying themselves, I have news for you this will not be you if you work in the contact centre you will have none of this as you will not be off or allowed off the phones to do any of this, This is managed by the excuse the contact centre is too busy and they cannot afford to have people off the phones, Forget that they have a small percentage working from home who could cover these periods.
     Picture the contact centre like one of these old ships you see on the films where there are 100 people rowing a huge ship and there is someone cracking that whip to make you go faster! well that sums it up pretty much!
     Lets Talk about management or lack of I should say, The management skills are sham, They are non approachable and even if you wanted to approach one of them there is not one to be found as they are always in meeting's, Heaven knows what they are meeting about as nothing appears to change!
    The call guide has so many flaws in it the it should be scraped and thrown away never to be seen again, Its inconsistent and full of hot air and waffle, Basically its scored by your manager that deems if it is worthy of rapport building or not, This coming from managers that do not build rapport with there own staff.
    Basically your seen as a pound sign and not a person! but the contact centre will not see it like that as the company boasts so many accolades and all these pictures of staff smiling and happy (there not the ones in the contact centre!)
    Favouritism is rife within the contact centre as I have spoken to members off staff and they have said " my manager just passed me on my on boarding as I know them well or they took pity on me" Well if you want to pass your probation befriend your manager and life will be as easy as anything, I mean I have seen some really good people let go or left as a result of this but the managers heads are buried somewhere else to notice this!
     On a good note I must say that Mr Pack is great as someone so important will take the time to come say hi and get to know you and that makes me feel like a valued employee and seems to know me more than my manager does so thank you Mr Pack,
    I have many friends here and thats what keeps me hear but as a result I don't think I could face anymore time with a company that will let good people go because they will not address this issue.
    On a whole my time may be up and that upsets me as I heard great things about this company its just a shame that it does not deliver on the values.

"Brilliant company to work for!"

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Folkestone, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Folkestone, England (UK)

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Holiday Extras helps you to become the best you can be, with lots of opportunities to progress within the call centre. It is a very positive company to work for with lots of fun events to involve everyone and you always feel supported and guided within your job role.

Cons

Full timers still work at least 1 day most weekends however we can work mobile so can work from home so this doesn't make this as bad

"Upsetting targets and monthly worry"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Holiday Extras part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice parties, average benefits compared to other companies. Nice events from time to time, lovely if you happen to be involved in them.

Cons

I didn’t want to write this review as I’ve remained optimistic for positive change. I’ve come to a conclusion it’s now beyond repair.

They really want to expand the business but don’t sort out the problems they have currently first, CC staff mental well-being being the main one and the way they target phone staff. This site is full of the same stories :-( With bullying claims recently, it’s just so sad to see a place I once loved become so lifeless.

They claim to be a “30 year old company thinking like a start-up”, with the extremely out of date targets in the CC, it’s not exactly thinking like a millennial-company. It’s very poor. There is no incentive to up-sell or be a great sales ambassador as there’s no bonus that’s actually achievable.

Who targets staff on customers options on a phone menu when customers press wrong options to get through quicker? This impacts CC agents overall monthly performance. The poor staff on the receiving end of this. You are not thinking like a startup. Think of actual accurate targets, it’s honestly not that hard. Being told everyone in same situation is not being pioneering in spirit.

The company receives too many wrong number calls into their CC, phone agents being victim to this affecting their monthly performance which is very upsetting. Again, the company refuses to rule these out at all. And of course, you guessed it, this is the phone agent’s fault!!

CC Managers turn off their instant chat or set to not-available, frustrating when needing help with a call. Quick to moan when agents haven’t hit a target though. I’ve heard agents and Home workers say they just don’t message them anymore.

So many of the CC staff feel drained after a shift, it used to be a fun environment and a second home but now it’s the complete opposite.

Anonymous feedback system needed urgently for the CC. People are scared of the outcome of speaking out or emailing People Team about what’s upsetting them because it’s got so bad. Buzz sessions won’t resolve the issues.

Only those not on the phone in the CC have a positive word to say. Let sort this mess out once and for all?

Advice to Management

Serious work needs to be done, try understand people have feelings and sort out how many targets CC has. Too strict and old fashioned. Be the future and lead the way HX before it’s too late.

8 Jan 2018 – Associate People Director

Thank you for your feedback, we’re sorry that you feel this way and would like the chance to speak in more detail about some of the points raised in your review. Please don’t feel that you can’t... More

"A brilliant place to work and learn"

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

I've never worked somewhere that encourages learning like Holiday Extras. In my few years here I've attended conferences, completed online courses and have been encouraged to have a go at developing brand new skills.

Cons

Nowhere is perfect, but in my experience management have been easy to communicate with if problems arise.

"Travel Consultant at Holiday Extras."

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

HX really do have a lot of things right as a company, from equipping and trusting everyone with Apple Macbook laptops that can be used at home for personal use as well as work to spontaneous summer BBQ's to amazing fireworks displays offering free food and beverages for all staff members and their families.
    The training is second-to-none, quite possibly the best I've had going into any new job, the trainers really care and the setup/methods used really installed confidence before going on the phones.
    Finally the people are really what makes HX the place it is, the people I have met in all job roles from CC(contact centre) staff to the CEO himself are friendly, fun and really great people, I honestly cannot name or think of one person I dislike.

Cons

Now for the not so goods, and there are a few I'm sad to say.

Firstly, there is an apparent divide between the majority of the company and the CC. There are many fun things that go on that often CC staff find ourselves the only ones that cant participate as we mustn't leave our post on the phones.

Almost all areas seem to have an hour lunch where they can partake once again in several activities, we are limited to just half an hour. I personally don't mind the half an hour lunch break, but fail to understand why there are different standards between different areas.

Working hours - now this really is an issue that I and 90% of CC staff I speak to are unhappy with. Up until recently we worked a standard 8 hour day 5 days per week as full time members which seems quite common in call centre work, no issues there, however now we are expected to work 8 hours and 45 mins for 4 days, whilst having one "half day" usually in the afternoon which throws a lot of peoples daily chores/plans after work out the window. Whilst 45 minutes may seem somewhat trivial, there was no real communication down to CC staff other than receiving our weekly rota with the new shifts in place. CC staff are the only ones expected to work these shifts whilst managers, the planning team and all other roles in the hierarchy remain on the same shifts as before, a classic case of expecting the bottom rung to do things that they wont themselves.
    Finally I have seen MANY people leave recently, people who were long term fixtures in HX as a result of many of the points already stated, quite simply they had enough. Other members are actively looking to leave, with myself also looking down avenues away from HX. When I started at HX I was sold on the fact they pride themselves as a company on staff progression and work/life balance, but as far as progression goes, I see a LOT of "external appointments" over people who have given everything for the company because obviously externals better right? And the work/life balance, it was great but small things are slowly taking away from this and it saddens me to write this as I genuinely loved the workplace when I first started.

Advice to Management

Although CC staff are bottom rung, and we understand this, we don't need to be made to feel like we are. It would be nice to be treated with as much importance as other roles are, we are at the forefront of the business after all.

14 Dec 2017 – Associate People Director

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, we really appreciate your honesty. We were saddened to read that you have concerns and we’d like to help you regain some of the great feeling you had... More

"Travel Consultant"

Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The other travel consultants! I made a lot of friends. Shame most of them have left now. Bbqs, firework displays, parties, hx xmas day, not that the contact centre gets to attend any of these things.

Cons

So being in the CC ( contact centre) you are bottom rung in HX, and they make you feel it! The CC miss out most of the " fun Hx experience" because the organ grinder won't let anyone have time off the phones.
    HX have lost a shed load of fantastic talent within a year just because of poor management! I actually cannot count how many good team players who have been at HX for a number of years all jacked it in. The travel consultants are over worked and under valued. The targets are a joke and customer service has slipped.
     HX are very good at training you up to go for a job thats coming up, then going with a complete outsider, many people have fallen for this! Leaving people feeling deflated and unappreciated.
    It used to be such a lovely place to work and I used to love it; but no one seems to be questioning why they are losing staff?
    Why are they losing key players and big personalities?
    Because CC management changing has made people hate coming to work...
    Why would you get rid of whole team from the call centre? One minute they saying we should really push car hire and transfer, the next the whole team has been disbanded! Its safe to say they all left the company rather then go back to airport.
    The CC now feels tired, lifeless, its a sad place,where people are constantly worried about the safety of their jobs, forced to work ridiculous hours for an average pay. Where favouritism and bullying are rife!! Its very sad.
    Lets just say that the HX values and ideals are a fairytale, nothing more. Apart from the villians because they are quite a few of those!

Advice to Management

Sort the CC out!

11 Dec 2017 – Associate People Director

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We’re sorry to hear some of your feedback and wanted to respond to some of the specific points raised.
    As a fast-paced business there will always be... More

"Sales specialist shortbreaks"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Smeeth, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Smeeth, England (UK)

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get free use an Apple MacBook although they’re usually really old model

Cons

The call centre is regarded as the bottom rung of the ladder. You get timed going to the toilet and if you take more than 4 minutes on of the female team leaders literally screams at you for taking to long and to get back to work in front of your entire colleagues
    You get excluded from any of the bbq or fun stuff during your shift. You will rarely & in some cases never get to go to the weekly team briefings which is bizarre as you’re the only direct customer role so should know the changes to the websites before the customers?!!! However holiday extras rely on thier middle management too much to rely important information when this doesn’t in reality happen
    If your face fits you will be fine but for most you just get bullied work long miserable shifts and lose your self belief
    Don’t work there unless you’re not in a call centre role

Advice to Management

Stop ignoring the bullying. Alot of people state this as the reason for leaving yet you still allow it to continue

"HX: it's all about people"

I have been working at Holiday Extras part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are so many positives about working at HX, you can sometimes and forget and take for granted that they’re not available at many other companies. Their approach to flexible working is hugely valuable - it means I can balance having a family and a job and not feel guilty about it. It’s not just the convenience it offers but also the sense of trust and value you feel, knowing that you have the freedom to manage your own time and work. It also means I’m working when I’m most productive, which is good for everyone.

Playing to your strengths and interests is key at HX and I’ve definitely benefited from this, being involved in some interesting and fulfilling projects that really stretch and develop you. When I’ve had a passion or idea that I want to pursue, I’ve always been encouraged and supported - we’re not afraid to experiment at HX which is hugely satisfying.

The move to company and team OKRs over the past year has really provided much needed clarity on our business priorities. In my team in particular, we’ve seen some tangible strides in projects we’ve been working on and it’s a great way of bringing everyone together to achieve common goals. HX never rests on its laurels and is always looking to improve.

HX’s biggest pro however are its people. If you ever need help with someone, there is always one or more willing to help - that doesn’t happen everywhere and the effect of this can’t be underestimated. The fantastic team events that HX puts on really fosters this, the recent HX party and fireworks being a perfect example of this.

Cons

We work fast at HX - it means we get things done which is great for everyone, especially our customers. Prioritising can some times be an issue although we're getting better now we've moved to using OKRS.

Advice to Management

Continue to maintain the culture of trust that exists at HX and keep encouraging managers to empower their teams to play to their strengths. We have some fantastic talent and expertise and by continuing supporting and developing them in this way means they and the business can continue to be successful and grow.