Microsoft Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Microsoft Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.2

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in March 2020.

Interview

Clearly filling an interview quota. No feedback except "not up to par". They attempted to get me to apply for another position, I wouldn't unless they gave feedback. No contact after that.

Interview Questions

• Asked me about my projects that related to what they are working.   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in February 2020.

Interview

I attended the initial phone screen which I came to know I cleared after two weeks. Then they called me for one full day interview after two months. On interview day, I had seven back to back rounds of interviews. Almost everyone asked the same questions except the last managerial and first managerial round. All the interviewing panel carried the pride of the company brand and they clearly showed off that they are smarter by asking a lot of coding algorithms. It appeared that they never used those algorithms in their day to day tasks. And of course, all the interview panel were desi guys. Obviously, they acted over smart by showing their extra preparation for the interview. They do not even know the basic concept of giving breaks between interview rounds. In the end, the manager interview clearly showed that their work culture is bureaucratic. They don't like someone who asks too many questions.

Interview

There is a reason why your hiring process has got a bad reputation.

Interview Questions

• This is what happened. The recruiter reached out to me for some hiring event. She canceled twice. Both times I had to WFH or take some time away from work. The last time she canceled was after I waited 10 mins and pinged her. The response was classic. You are too senior for the job posting and ill keep your resume on file if there are opportunities that are suitable for you. Microsoft hiring community - At least have some decency to treat other's time with respect.
      There is a reason why your hiring process has got a bad reputation.   3 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in November 2019.

Interview

I applied online for a data scientist position, I was contacted about two weeks later for a senior software engineer position instead. The interviewer was quite pleasant and helpful, and gently corrected me when I made (minor) mistakes.

Interview Questions

• You are given a 2D image with black and white pixels (0 and 1) and a position x,y. Find the connected component (1 pixels) containing x,y.

I was also asked a couple followup questions about the disadvantages of recursion (too much memory overhead for the function calls), and how to implement my algorithm iteratively (answer: just use a stack! ...).   2 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (San Francisco, CA (US)) in October 2019.

Interview

The recruiter reached out to me and I scheduled a phone screen. The technical phone round was not great. I struggled to come up with a clean solution. The next day the recruiter emailed me and said that there is another team who is interested in my profile and then scheduled another technical phone round with them. This round was not good too. I did not come up with the solution I was asked. Through this whole process, the Interviewers and recruiters were very friendly and helpful. A week later the recruiter called me and said that my performance was not up to the mark and told me to contact her after 3 months after preparing some more. I was never this happy being rejected in any other interview. They really cared about the candidate and my whole experience was really good. I really think Microsoft is doing a great job making sure that the candidates don't have a negative experience. I hope one day I get to work for this awesome company.

Interview Questions

• Remove the comments from code.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in October 2019.

Interview

Recruiter contacts me around mid Sep, then having 5 round onsite plus additional General Hiring Manager interview a week ago, then ... Recruiter disappear without giving me any update. I'll treat it as rejection and move on

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in May 2019.

Interview

It was about what I was expecting for the interview process. Microsoft scheduled five interview blocks at their campus, with the fifth being As Appropriate. Each interviewer was primarily interested in evaluating how I thought through the problem as much as the answer I arrived at. There was plenty on conversation working through problems and white boarding the solutions as well. Overall, it was much more enjoyable than I thought it would have been.

Interview Questions

• Design a shopping cart. Defend your decisions. Additionally, string compression algorithm, design a system to scale to 10,000 users, word reverse with preserved white space.   3 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in May 2019.

Interview

Phone screening was the first stage, on-site interview with 3 team members and the manager. Everyone was very nice, the question ranged from design to coding on the whiteboard

Interview Questions

• Design a proxy for a slow channel   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I interviewed at Microsoft in December 2018.

Interview

The interview process is very smooth , applied online and got a call from recruiter in 2 days . 1 phone screen and one OTS test and then onsite .
    OTS has 3 easy and medium level leet code questions , where we also had to comment and provide analysis of the code .
    1) square root without inbuilt function
    2) merge two unsorted linked list to sorted array
    3) find the bug in the code snipped

Interview Questions

• Onsite
      1) replace blank spaces in a string with % with no extra space
      2) rotate 2 D array by next 2 positions .
      3) find if graph is acyclic
      4) find Kth position between two given nodes
      For eg 1->2->3->4->5
      Node 2 and 4 are inputs , and K is 4 return -1 as only one element lies in between 3 .   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC (US)

Interview

This was an all-day affair where I was interviewed by four or five different managers, including a lunch interview. I was asked to solve programming puzzles as well as about my work history.

Interview Questions

• I was asked numerous programming problems, such as how to mock up a program to play the game Battleship.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.