Microsoft Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Microsoft Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in June 2010.

Interview

Phone interview took just 15 minutes. There were general questions: what is context, context switching, critical section, threads, some questions about sorting algos, binary search trees. Some programming questions: what is difference between int and Integer (for java), what is difference between String and StringBuffer.
I think I was kinda stupid person :) because there was no logical question.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (San Diego, CA (US)) in October 2009.

Interview

it was a 1:1 on campus interview. The recruiter asked me the following question: "We have two sorted single direction linked lists. Write an efficient algorithm to merge them together and the outcome should be sorted as well. Creating a new linked list is not allowed". Then he asked whether I was graduating the following quarter to which I answered no. After two weeks received and email that said, they could not proceed with the second round of interviews and they can not tell my why!

Interview Questions

• How would merge two sorted linked lists without creating a new one so that the outcome is sorted as well.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in November 2009.

Interview

Following a phone interview I was invited to the Redmond campus for a long day of one-on-one interviews. Microsoft was gracious enough to pay all of my expenses for flying out to WA and eating/traveling.

The 1:1 interviews themselves were interesting and difficult but often oddly focused: I felt as if the engineers who asked me questions usually were only interested in their own areas of study, and my knowledge or lack thereof in their (sometimes very different) fields didn't matter as much. For example, I had one interviewer ask me at the beginning of the interview if I had studied design patterns. I answered that while I had used some simple ones in the past, I have never formally studied them and thus don't know that many, nor the names of the ones I do know. Despite this, he continued to ask me questions for an hour about design patterns, and became visibly angry with me when I couldn't put names to the patterns he described. This probably boils down to typical engineer unsocial tendencies.

The strangest part of the process is that you interview for a group within Microsoft that is chosen for you ahead of time without any of your own input. I ended up interviewing for a group that was doing work that did not interest me whatsoever, which made the process that much harder.

Interview Questions

• Given a 2d matrix of numbers where each row and column is sorted in increasing order, describe an efficient algorithm to test whether a given number is in the matrix.   3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in March 2009.

Interview

I gave my resume to one of the recruiters who came to our college and they setup a phone interview with me. It took about 45-60 minutes and the interviewer asked me questions about linked lists, arrays and one brain teaser. After that i was scheduled for an on-site interview. I spoke with 2 managers and 2 developers from Remote Desktop group and i did 90 percent of the questions. However Microsoft was laying off people and they stopped a lot of positions before i went there. Remote Desktop department is not what i was going to see but i ended up seeing them. Finally 1.5 weeks later i got a letter saying that they cant offer anything

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview processed on campus. And the recruiter was generous and took half hour. She asked two questions. 1. find the mid of a linked list. 2. write a recursion to calculate the power. The interview process is easy. But I got the response after one month.

Interview Questions

• 1. find the mid of a linked list. 2. write a recursion to calculate the power   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA (US)) in November 2016.

Interview

First interview was a on-campus screening in my university. It was about ~45 minutes in length and was asked 2 behavioral questions and 1 technical. In this interview you're asked which Microsoft teams you're interested in joining, which will later be reflective in which team will interview you in the second round. After 2 weeks I got an email from an interviewer scheduler for an on-site interview at Microsoft's headquarters at Bellevue, Washington.
    The interviews, at least for my case, was 3 back-to-back interviews with engineers from the cloud&enterprise team. Interviews were each 1hr in length and they varied from technical questions, design questions, and behavioral questions.
    Overall was a good experience, they paid for the whole trip + sightseeing + food + uber!

Interview Questions

• Given a computer with small memory and a file that is large in size (assume greater than the size of the computer's memory), how would you sort this file (assume the file consists of numbers separated by a space)?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in October 2008.

Interview

I applied through on campus Job Fair. Microsoft contacted me online asking for an on-site interview. The interview itself took about 30 minutes. Questions were more about to see your problem solving skills and analytic approach than technical skills. Interviewer was a project manager. At the end of the interview, it took three weeks to be notified that there won't be any offer. Interviewer was nice and polite. He knew the stuff.

Interview Questions

• How many unique paths are there from B-L point to the T-R point of a chess table? What would be your approach to calculate this?   6 Answers
    • Write a code for finding a certain element in an unsorted array assuming element definitely exists. How can we improve the efficiency?   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in March 2008.

Interview

I got an interview along with a bunch of other of my comp sci peers while Microsoft was at a University here in MD. The interviewer was very formal, but somewhat non personable. I was two questions, one of which I could not answer. I knew the interview was bust after that, so I asked him about R&D for fun.

Interview Questions

• How would you calculate a pixle on a monitor using a singular matrix in memory and change the color   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in April 2009.

Interview

They treat their interviewees very well. They will put in a nice hotel, give you a rental, and pay your expenses for you to spend an extra day and night in the area to get to know it and explore and have fun. The interview itself lasts a fair part of the day and involves talking to several engineers. The questions are pretty standard algorithms and problem solving questions. Almost all of them asked me to write code. Even lunch was an interview with the topic about facing difficulties/working in teams/interacting with others and so on.

I was very impressed with the work, offer, and suggested flexibility.

Interview Questions

• How to write an evaluator for a string like "(1+3 * ( 5 / 4)) and get a numeric result.   3 Answers

I had another I really liked on the East Coast. It was a tough tough choice.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in October 2016.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn, filled out application, then recruiter scheduled me for online technical screen. Had a brief phone screen then went to onsite a couple weeks later.

Questions were not particularly difficult, maybe ranging from LeetCode easy to medium. They asked several follow-ups to questions related to SW Engineering just to see you hadn't just memorized the base solution. I had a very positive experience, the interviewers were nice and easy to interact with. I didn't have any major scheduling snafus vs my Amazon interview, which was just kind of a mess.

I interviewed with a total of four people. They were all software engineers.

Got a quick turnaround (interviewed on Friday, told me I was going to get an offer on Monday, 2-3 week process to get offer, background check).

Interview Questions

• interesting real-life use case of a data structure, with a follow-up   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.