Microsoft Project Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Microsoft Project Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.2

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in November 2012.

Interview

Signed on through career office. The interviewer was really straight forward and open about Microsoft. It started with soft questions like why do you want to work with us and what are your interest then he got into design questions.

Interview Questions

• Design a virtual voting system. I had limited practice with this and shot the question.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in February 2013.

Interview

Was offered during the career fair a chance to have a complimentary dinner with the recruiters and a select few candidates. I went to the dinner, impressed them, and got another interview two weeks later on my University Campus.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to design a remote control, and tell them the things I would consider when building it. Also they asked me what technology I love most, and why I like it.   2 Answers

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)).

Interview

Hiring Interview was a pleasant process in General, not too many Steps. One of the things I like about Microsoft is that they push the use of technology in all fronts specially Microsoft products. Therefore two of the 3 Interviews I had were via Skype. A 3rd Interview was in Person, they were very respectful of the experience I had on my resume. At the end don’t expect a lot of Push back if you are interviewing for a contract position because you are very low risk for them. They will be paying half of whatever that same position pays for an FTE, without benefits, plus they can let you go at any time with very little notice.

Interview Questions

• There was no such thing as difficult question; I did notice FTEs are so in to the Microsoft culture that they tend to dismiss a little bit any prior experience on Non Microsoft tools or products. (I.e. If you are a Project Manager, they expect you to have worked with MPM and SharePoint, period) Not much credit will be given to any other tool outside of that. The hiring manager even made a Joke related to my Android Phone..!   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiation was very limited, since I was offered a Contract position, and it was mainly done by my headhunter. Later I learned there is very little room for negotiations when that is the case.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in January 2013.

Interview

Got an on-campus interview, asked me how to improve user experience for airport security. I talked as I went through several possible solutions and he offered alternate suggestions too. Got an email around a week and half later for an interview round in Seattle. Flied out, got in a nice Dodge Avenger with only 600 miles on it. Be sure to sleep good for your day.

Interview Questions

• First asked about what services you are excited about. Then he expands on that... and ask other questions like designing a kitchen. For second interview, we had lunch and chatted about random stuff, then went back to his office and he showed me that app some MSFT employees made, connecting letters to make a word or whatever. He asked me to make a Data Flow Diagram (DFD) of that. I think I went in a different direction than he hoped for. For third interview, a guy with unicorns in his office asked me about projects I did and expanded on that. I probably did the best in this interview, finally asking me questions related to my actual areas of expertise (Database design and C# programming).   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in February 2013.

Interview

It's a first round on campus interview, the invitation was sent 1 week in front, you can select one section (30 minutes) in two days. The recruiter is very nice, discussed the resume and ask some general questions. Also ask you to describe a difficult situation you met before and how did you solve it . After that you can select one position you interested, then you will be asked some related questions. I chose project manager, so only one design question was asked.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you design an elevator.   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The interview was quite calm and smooth. One on one interview trying to assess which role would best fit myself.

Interview Questions

• Explaining various things to older/younger people scenarios   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The first interview was completely a fit interview. Kind of surprised that they didn't ask anything really substantive. Some PM specific questions, but could be for any position. The interview was initially set up as being for any of Project Management or Software Development positions, but the interviewer asked which positions I was interested in and tailored the rest from there.

Interview Questions

• What about Microsoft are you excited about, and where would you like to work?

Suppose you went on a vacation and the engineers developed several applications. How do you prioritize implementing these developments.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Durham, NC (US)) in October 2012.

Interview

I submitted my resume through a recruiter, then got a call for an on campus interview. The interviewer was not what I expected Microsoft to bring. He was quite, barely talkative, asked basic questions and would not look at you while you answer a question. I was asked couple of behavioral questions regarding my resume, followed by a programming question that asked to find the number of a certain character in a string and that was it. The trick was to understand the way you tackle a problem and how you would consider all possible situations.

Interview Questions

• Why Microsoft? Don't under estimate the power of this question.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in January 2012.

Interview

I interviewed for PM position. They asked me about my experiences and told me to design a weather thermometer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in October 2011.

Interview

The interviewer went over the position and what he requires. It then went on to be a fairly technical interview.

Interview Questions

• What were the toughest decisions you had to make in your role as a Team leader and what consequences did you think they would have ? However once you carried out the decisions what consequences did they actually have   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.