IBM Entry Level Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

IBM Entry Level Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at IBM

2.9

Entry Level Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

I applied online and received an email to complete a coding challenge online about a week or two later. The email stated that I would have 5 business days to complete the challenge, and the questions in the coding challenge would be general in nature and that studying would not be necessary. I figured since this was an entry level position, I should just review data structures and algorithms; however, there was one question that required a verbal answer that I would have needed more background on the topic in order to be able to answer it better. The email and original job post did not indicate this.

Interview Questions

• Can't go into much detail about it, but there were several speaking questions that required a webcam in order for you to record your answer, as well as a few coding questions of varying lengths and time limits.   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Entry Level Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

Applied online through Uncubed's Cognitive Computing Odyssey. The process is much the same as the direct online application: finish the online challenge within 15 business days (with 3 e-mails reminder). The questions are also similar to the general online applying process, which are 5 video recording questions and 3 coding problems.

Interview Questions

• One of the video recording questions requires you to explain one of the coding problem you just solved.   1 Answer

Entry Level Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online through IBM careers. Within a week I got an email to solve coding puzzles within a duration of 15 days. I completed that, I did well. It was almost two weeks but I did not hear back from them. Interview process was more than 3 hours. At least they should have informed whether I cleared or not. I hope they will respond soon.

Interview Questions

• There were total 8 questions, 3 coding, and 5 a combination of behavioural and technical questions.   1 Answer

Entry Level Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in October 2016.

Interview

The process took about a month. I applied online and received a Coding challenge invite. The test duration is for 3 hours. It has a few behavioral questions and 3 coding questions. The coding questions are based on string manipulation(one similar to FizzBuzz, one similar to finding common substring, one similar to finding lowest common ancestor in a tree). The test will usually take the entire duration allotted.
    The second round is a live digital interview with one of the technical folks. I was asked about my previous experience and projects worked on after which I was asked a coding question. The question was based on recursion and dynamic programming.

Interview Questions

• In the live digital interview, I was asked to code to determine all possible telephone numbers from a mobile keypad in a situation where every digit can only make knight moves on the keypad.   1 Answer

Entry Level Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBM in September 2016.

Interview

Was sent the IBM coding challenge a day or two after I applied. The challenge consisted of 7-8 questions: 3 were coding problems that you have to solve & the remainder were a mix of behaviorial & verbal technical questions that required webcam responses. This challenge lasted about 4 hours, despite the email saying that it would typically last 2-3 hours. Two day after I completed the challenge, I was notified that I passed and could go for a face to face interview the following week. The face to face interview was via webcam with a senior software engineer and was an hour long. In his own words, there are no right or wrong answers during the interview. Instead, he was more interested in my personality and thought process. The interview was mostly about my interests, the extent of my knowledge in certain areas, one whiteboard question, and one brain teaser. A week after the interview, I was notified that the position was given to someone else.

Interview Questions

• Coding problems similar to Cracking the Code Interview questions.   Answer Question

Entry Level Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online. A recruiter then reached out to me. The interview was online and consisted of a coding challenge and general questions (Tell us about yourself...etc.). The coding challenge consisted of three questions, each with an allotted time of 1 hour. The questions increased in difficulty as the interview progressed. There were also five general question. They were easy and one is given ~ 10 - 15 minutes to think of an answer before recording.

Interview Questions

• Given boss-employee pairs, determine the appropriate, lowest ranking, boss in which two employees should go to in case of a conflict.   Answer Question

Entry Level Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY (US)) in November 2016.

Interview

Video interview conducted by Hirevue. 8 questions in total. The first 2 were behavioral and the rest were technical. You have to record yourself answering questions. You're given about a minute to practice and 3 minutes to record yourself. You can't watch the video back or record another response.

Interview Questions

• Manipulation of a string; What is polymorphism and give an example.   Answer Question

Entry Level Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (San Francisco, CA (US)) in November 2016.

Interview

Round 1: 3 hours coding challenge/ Virtual interview
    Round 2: Guru Interview (Phone interview) - Coding and Design
    Round 3: Guide Interview (Phone interview) - Behavioral
    Round 4: 2 days Onsite interview. Day 1 - Attended a conference, 2 hrs case study. Day 2 - Case study Presentation and HR/Behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• Algorithms and Data Structures   1 Answer

Entry Level Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM in November 2016.

Interview

1 hour video technical interview with a senior software engineer. Interviewer was polite and kept on mentioning that he is not looking for an accurate answer but wanted to examine my way of thinking about the solution. There were a few behavioral questions at the beginning of the interview followed by three technical questions. One question on SQL, one question on Geometry and one coding question

Interview Questions

• Given a set of points in the 2D coordinate system, find the radius of the smallest circle which encompasses all the given points.   Answer Question

Entry Level Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Gabriel, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at IBM (San Gabriel, CA (US)).

Interview

The interview involved a Skype meeting with the interviewer. We went over things that I have done recently, from my courses to what projects I worked on. The interviewer was patient and understanding of my circumstance.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.