Microsoft Software Engineer(Internship) Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Microsoft Software Engineer(Internship) Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

2.9

Software Engineer Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in January 2012.

Interview

I got an email from a recruiter and setup an interview over skype.

Interview Questions

• Asked me how would i test a simple mechanical calculator and do a test scenario regarding it   2 Answers
  • what was a technical difficulty and how have you overcome it.   3 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Engineer Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (La Jolla, CA (US)) in February 2013.

Interview

Talked to recruiters at a job fair. Got an email three days later for an on campus interview. Responded and signed up for an interview slot on their website. Interview was about 25 mins, starting off with a couple behavioral questions and questions about my resume. Ended with a short technical question, which the interviewer asked me to test afterwards.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of characters, compress the array in a way such that [aBBBAAaaa] becomes
      [a1B3A2a3].   2 Answers

Software Engineering Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by campus recruiters for an on campus interview after a career fair.

Interview Questions

• First were behavioral questions, which were fairly standard. He then asked me to explain HTML: what the acronym stands for and what it means. I have no web experience (and don't claim to; I'm computer engineering and am more interested in low level programming and firmware, as indicated on my resume and the form I returned to schedule the interview). I admitted to my ignorance and was instead asked to redesign a parking structure near my university on a game day that had a traffic problem. I was given a couple minutes and a piece of paper. I basically did a nodal analysis on a circuit, with the streets being akin to wires and wrote a differential for cars entering the lot. He said I shouldn't have assumed the traffic problem was outside the lot.   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Houston, TX (US)) in September 2018.

Interview

a recruiter reached out, I applied and received a 30 mins phone interview with the behavioral question in 3 days, a two-round of an onsite technical interview a week after

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

on campus interview. 30 min (kind of atypical), and only one tech question. talked about resume for about 15 min and the question being asked was super easy. There should be 2 rounds of phone interview and two rounds of onsite interview though

Interview Questions

• given a string, reverse every substring that contains only alphanumerical characters   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in September 2018.

Interview

Applied online, got an email saying that Microsoft would like to interview me as they were coming to my University’s campus in a week.
    The On-Campus Interview was a 30 minute interview with a manager from the Office 365 team, the interview consisted of personality questions at first, then some Computer Science “Trivia” asking about basic concepts such as object oriented programming.T0then we moved onto a whiteboard technical question where we proceeded to spend most of the time on the question but never moved onto writing code on the whiteboard just showing examples and talking out loud what some solutions to the problem could be as well as the space and time complexities that would arise from the solutions. As we began to run out of time more “Trivia” was asked, this time about data structures, then questions for the interviewer and that was the end.
    Received an email 4 days later saying I had advanced to the second round in Redmond, WA.
    The On-Site interview consisted of 4 x 45 minute interviews, one on one with various people from the Azure Cloud team. Each interview had similar structure to the on-campus one: Personality question for the first 5 minutes, then a technical question for the majority, then optional questions for the interviewer at the end.
    Each of the on-Site interviewers started off the conversation by introducing themselves and talking about what their position on their respective team was. 3 people from Azure Storage division, one Engineering manager, two normal engineers. The fourth interviewer was an engineer from the Azure Health Division, helping to maintain the backbone of updates to the platform itself.
    2 out of the 4 white boarding questions consisted of using Binary Trees with the third question being an Array-based question and the fourth question being a task scheduling question. Once a basic answer was given for each of the questions (with or without written code on the board), the interviewer would proceed to ask about drawbacks to the solution, ask if efficiency could be improved in time or space complexity, then they began modifying the original question to be more restrictive on what could and couldn’t be done (e.g. now solve the problem using O (1) space complexity)
    As we would leave the interview room, the interviewer would either take a picture of the code on the board, or erase the board as we left the room.
    Oddities about my personal experience:
    In my first interview of the day, once the question was asked and we proceeded to make examples of the question, I was struggling with coming up with a pattern to begin formulating an answer, so the interviewer proceed to make more test cases, however during the process both I and the interviewer became confused multiple times at finding a “solution” to the test cases, miscommunication for understanding each other occurred many times and we never moved onto the coding of the solution before time was up.
    All 4 interviewers were monotonic in their feedback during the coding question, providing few visual or auditory responses whether I was doing a good job or not while presenting my answers. Each of the interviewers presented interest in my personal background however and asked multiple questions for additional details while explaining personal questions before having to move on.
    Although asked about, none of the interviewers seemed to note or care about data validation for their respective question asked.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of n element which contains elements from 0 to n-1, with any of these numbers appearing any number of times. Return via Boolean, whether a duplicate exists in the list.
      2nd Level/Bonus: do this in O(1) space complexity.
      3rd level: Is there a better solution if you are allowed to modify the existing data array?   2 Answers
    • Given a binary tree, find its diameter, where the diameter is defined as the length of the longest path from one arbitrary node to another.   1 Answer
    • Given a binary tree, each node has a null "next node" , which points to the next node in the same level (left to right).
      Update the given tree so that each node has a value in their "next" field.

Level 2/Bonus: do it in O(1) time, using iteration instead of recursion.   1 Answer
    • Given two arrays which are sorted from min to max, return X smallest pairings based on the sum of the pairing A[i] + B[J]   1 Answer
    • Given a list of commands, in the format [function name, ENTER/EXIT, time event occurs]) return a list of the duration that each function occurred for along with the name of that function.
      Note: (duration is inclusive of the start and end time)
      Example of input:
      F3 ENTER 150
      F3 EXIT 160
      F2 EXIT 170
      F1 EXIT 180

Level 2/Bonus: if you've already entered a function and you are given a command to enter a new one, it's now a sub-process of the one already started. Return the duration of each function without the time spent in sub functions)
      (e.g. in the above example, F2 is a subprocess of F1, F3 is a subprocess of F2 and so on)   1 Answer

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)).

Interview

There are two Interview Process the first round was a phone interview asking some behavioral questions and then a technical question, you choose the language you wanna write your code in. If you passed you will go to the second round which they fly you in and give you three interviews of hardcore technical questions

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Four 45-minute interview back to back. 3 of them are technical and 1 is behavioral. About 15 of us interviewed with the Azure team. Many of the questions are system based.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Interview

I interviewed through Skype. There were a total of three rounds of interviews and each interview may last for 60 minutes. All the interviewers were nice and the questions were not very difficult.

Interview Questions

• Design a data structure to get the mean value of input in the last five minutes.   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (New York, NY (US)) in November 2017.

Interview

I talked to them at a career fair and then got a phone interview. I applied for the internship geared at freshmen and sophomores. I only got one round of a phone interview.

Interview Questions

• i interviewed for the sophomore/freshman internship program so the questions were mostly non technical but did talk about things I've learned in CS , stuff about the company etc.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.