Microsoft Program Manager Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Microsoft Program Manager Intern Interview Questions

3.4

47 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Program Manager Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA (US)) in April 2014.

Interview

My initial interview was at my university's campus and lasted approximately 30 minutes. My interviewer was 20 minutes late.. He asked me two questions: 1) What is the biggest technical challenge that you are proud of overcoming? 2) How many elevators do you need for a building (after asking some questions, the building is 40 floors - first 10 floors are retail, the next 20 are corporate, and the top 10 are residential)? 4 weeks later, I finally heard from an interview scheduler that I've made it to the final round interview in Redmond, WA. I had a pending offer so they worked with me to get up there as quickly as possible. They covered everything including airfare, rental car, food, and lodging so that was nice. On interview day, I first spoke with my recruiter for less than 10 minutes. I was rushed to the Bellevue office because of the time it took to get there. I ended up hanging in the waiting room for 30 minutes before I was called. The first interviewer asked me a few questions about my resume and then two technical-ish questions. First one was how would I improve the elevator and the second was to write a program to find the area of the intersection of two rectangles. I didn't have any breaks in between any of my interviews. The second interviewer asked me detailed questions about a project on my resume. He then gave me a scenario with a manager, a dev team, and a customer group. The manager wants me, the PM, to increase revenue by $1mil however way I can. The customer wants to increase by $2mil but they will provide resources. The dev team says that they can do $1mil but it won't be immediate. How do you handle the situation? I guess the main point was to notice that the $2mil is actually not better than $1mil because they will be providing more workers than the dev team would've. I didn't make that realization so that probably is where I lost the position. The next interviewer was late by about 15 min (so I guess I did get some break). We ate lunch and just talked about what I like about Bing and what I don't like and random stuff like what I do for fun. We then went back to his office and talked about things on my resume. He then asked me how I would improve the elevator there. They seem to really like questions about elevators. He then told me that I was done for the day and could head back to the recruiting building. I knew at that point I didn't get it since I only got 3 interviews. They got back to me the next day via email that I didn't get it. Overall, it was a good experience and I hope to try again for full-time in the future.

Interview Questions

• You are given two rectangles. Write a program to find the area of the intersection.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Program Manager Intern Interview

Interview

Applied at a career fair at my university. Did one round of interviews at my college then received an email telling me I was invited to Redmond for on-site interviews. Spent 9-5 at the Microsoft campus and had 4 interviews with Program Managers in the MS Office department. Gave me complimentary lunch, so that was nice.

Interview Questions

• Several questions asking me to design software or hardware products, and a couple programming questions.   Answer Question

Program Manager Intern Interview

Interview

Microsoft came to the career fair at my university. I talked with one of the recruiters there, and was offered an on-campus interview for the next day.
    The interview was supposed to be 30 minutes, but I was the last interview for the day, so we talked for about 45 minutes.
    First my interviewer asked me about my projects and experiences. Then he asked me about some technology that I liked, and ways to improve it. Somehow we got into a discussion about UI design. He asked me to design a smartphone home screen.
    I got one programming question in the end on array manipulation. It was pretty easy. I came up with a solution, and he asked me to put it into code.
    Several weeks later, I got an email about a final round interview at Redmond.

Interview Questions

• You have an array of red balls and blue balls. Sort them in linear time and constant space so that all the red balls are in the front, and all the blue balls in the back.   3 Answers

Program Manager Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview

I was contacted on LinkedIn by a Microsoft recruiter, and encouraged to apply to their summer internship program. I had a phone interview a couple weeks later. The interview consisted of some behavioral/background questions. However, most of the questions were puzzles, riddles and design questions. There were no programming questions.

Program Manager Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Applied online, had one on campus interview and then flew to Redmond for 4 additional interviews.

Program Manager Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview

The interviewer was very kind and definitely seemed to be on my side. If I was getting close to an answer, she would hint a bit until I caught on. There was one behavioral and technical interview, which would lead to a technical interview in Redmond.

Interview Questions

• I didn't have to write code, but I was asked to figure out about four different ways to take in a string and remove all duplicate characters. I had to talk about the benefits and running time of each algorithm I came up with.   Answer Question

Program Manager Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)).

Interview

On campus University Recruiting:
    Talked to the recruiter about my experience in web design and the projects I've worked on, he took my resume.

Invited to on campus interning information talk:
    Gave me information about each of the positions and made me select which I wanted to apply for - I picked Program Manager.

On University campus round 1 interview:
    The interview was heavy on Object Oriented Programming and Data Structures.

On Redmond Campus round 2 interview:
    The interview was from 9am until 4pm and I was interview by 4 different people of increasingly higher rank(position) each time.
    *Advice - during each break they will ask if you want coffee, always say yes. You need to stay excited and alert. Take this as an opportunity to have a good time and show them how excited you are to be there. Don't let yourself get tired or cranky. They will beat you down at the end, don't give up and don't ever get angry.

Interview Questions

• He asked me if I were to design windows, as in like the file explorer windows and image windows, what data structure would I use.
      He asked me how would clicking windows work.
      He then asked me what if I had countless number of these windows, how would my implementation need to change.
      He then asked me how to measure the Big-O of my data structure and some other efficiency questions.
      *Advice - talk to them through the process, use sudo code (the less time you waste on syntax the better cause they don't care), ask them lots of questions to clarify what they want.   Answer Question
    • Programming questions: I was asked to make a simple function. Then I was asked to make another function that is not so simple.
      *Advice, use the easier function to solver the larger general problem that also solves the harder function.   Answer Question
    • Out of the box questions: I was asked to make a calendar out of 2 6 sided cubes.
      *Advice, Think as out of the box as possible, walk them through your ideas and solutions, draw pictures if possible. Ask questions!   1 Answer
    • Design question (more specific to pm): He talked to me for a bit when the topic of github came up, he then asked me "Come up with 5 ways that you would make github better." Everytime I came up with something he would try to conquer me and make me feel like my idea is ridiculous and that it probably won't work. They will look for holes and they will ry to make you cave in and give up on your ideas.
      *Advice, it is very hard to come up with design ideas but try thinking about Microsoft products and what goals they achieve to see if you can incorporate them in your ideas. DON'T GIVE IN, just cause they are questions you and trying to make you cave in doesn't mean your idea is bad, stand your ground but use reasons to defend your ideas. Draw pictures.   Answer Question

Program Manager Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

1. Behavioral questions
    2. Write code to determine if a given string is a palindrome

Microsoft took more than a month to get back to me saying I wouldn't be considered for further interviews

Program Manager Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Madison, WI (US)) in September 2013.

Interview

Visited their booth at the career fair at first and contacted by the recruiter to schedule the interview on campus and it was about 45 mins long. The engineer seems not very friendly tho and asked me about 2 behaviour question and 2 technical question

Interview Questions

• how to swap two bits in the linked list and how to sort an array of integer with linear complexity   Answer Question

Program Manager Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in January 2014.

Interview

I applied through my school's career website in October. In mid-December, I received an email from a recruiter for a phone interview. This interview lasted about 30 minutes and consisted of behavior questions and a few technical/critical thinking questions. Overall, the interviewer was very nice and helpful throughout the questions which made the interview go well. Since the holiday season was very close to my phone interview date, I had to wait a little longer to get results, at least that's what they said. During the second week in January, I received an email congratulating and saying that I will move onto the final round of interviews. I was then informed that I would be going out to Redmond in a week later for the on-site interviews.

With just a little bit of information from me, they were able to book the trip for me and I did not have much to do. Once in Redmond for the interviews, we met with our recruiters and they introduced themselves to us. We were then taken by a concierge to The Commons to eat lunch around 11:30. He also showed us a little bit of the campus. After eating lunch, we were guided to explore a little more before we went to the Company Store. We had to be back to the first building by 1 for the start of interviews. Once back, individual people came out to get us for a 1 on 1 interview. Each interview was about 45 minutes with 15 minute breaks in-between where you can play Xbox, use a Surface, snack, or relax on the couch. Half way through, we got a longer break to relax or do whatever.

After all of the interviews concluded, we were told that we would be notified within the next week if we were offered a position.

They pay for your meals and fun activities too! So have fun!

Interview Questions

• What are the 3 concepts of a Program Manager? (I didn't know the specific words he was looking for, but I had the concepts) Everything else was manageable.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Since it's an internship, no negotiations. But it's a GREAT offer anyways.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.