LinkedIn Staff Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 16 May 2019

2.7

14 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at LinkedIn.

Interview

Initial email and then followed by Hr discussion over phone describing the process and some details about the position.

Followed by one behavioral interview and one technical phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Technical round: LRU Cache type question with little modification around locks and multithreading. Pretty easy one.

Behavioral round: Lot of behavioral questions were asked. More about working style in a team, things which are important to you, difference between levels of engineer, etc.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for LinkedIn

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA (US)) in September 2018.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me, there were two rounds of phone call, very interesting people. The second round was a lot around machine learning with a large number of fast questions. Overall satisfied about the phone call. The on-site, feedbacks and everything very very slow. It can take months . The on-site is usually Silicon Valley one day interview. I had few smart people, interesting questions. Overall the day positive. The review and results of the interview totally random and based on the feeling of 1/2 interviewers. So very bad point in that sense. The company seems having very little confidence with recruiter asking you continuously where you apply, how much they give you and which position. I’m neutral to whether apply or not here.

Interview Questions

• Usual ML staff (collaborative filtering, coding questions, ML design)   1 Answer

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at LinkedIn.

Interview

The interview process was very well organized. Everyone showed up on time, and interviewers were extra friendly.

Second offer I get from LinkedIn. First one was several years back. So, the second time, they skipped the phone screening.

Interview Questions

• Design a recommendation system. The recommendation system can be used for multiple purposes (PYMK, JYMBII, etc). The system was discussed from both a ML and a systems point of view. That was the main question, and there were two coding questions, and there was a question on how would you respond to system failures.   Answer Question

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA (US)) in January 2017.

Interview

Standard hiring process same as other big tech. companies. First got a phone call from recruiter that explained me what the role was for. Then two 1 hour phone screens: 1st Behavioral and the 2nd Coding interview using collabedit.

2 days after the phone screen I got an email from the recruiter that hiring committee decided not to continue with the on-sit interview round.

Although both phone screens went well, here are the reasons why I am rating this as a negative experience:

1. First interviewer (Behavioral) was 10 minutes late. I had to email the recruiter after I waited for him on BlueJeans for 10 minutes. The interview went well overall. It appeared he was happy with the answers and the background / experience I have.

2. Second interviewer (Coding) was 15 minutes late. The interviewer was constantly coughing throughout the interview. Even though this was a "Staff Software Engineer" interview she asked me a question related to "RAID." Still can't figure out the reason for it. But I was able to answer that question fairly easily as I do have good knowledge of not only Software Engineering but IT infrastructure management and related concerns as well. Then she asked me a few questions about threads, processes and mutex -- all fine and went well. Then she asked me to implement a blocking queue in collebedit. My primary language is C# and the recruiter did say it will just be fine as long as I can use any of these languages: Java, C# or C++. I asked her if I can use C#. She said no since she didn't have an answer for the coding exercise in C#. Even then, I completed the exercise in Java and the solution I implemented was technically pretty sound and that was confirmed by the interviewer. However, I was not given additional 15 minutes to work on the edge cases (even though, it was the interviewer who came in late) or improve the design.

So if the hiring committee made a decision based on this, that would be really unfortunate and injustice actually.

I did reached out to the recruiter asking the reason and also when I can re-apply. Did not get any response from them. I was expecting more from LinkedIn than this in terms of both professionalism and conducting fair interviews.

Note: I have more than 12 years of leadership and hands-on architecture / engineering experience in the Software industry and have worked on many truly enterprise scale projects used by many Fortune 500 and Government entities.

Interview Questions

• Lot of questions related to my previous jobs / experiences. Here are the questions from the coding phone screen: What is RAID? What is a difference between a Thread and a Process? What is Mutex? Implement a thread-safe BlockingQueue in Java.   Answer Question

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA (US)) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied through employee referral. Got a phone call from recruiter. They were courteous.promptly. They set me for two 1 hour phone screens, one leadership screen, one technical screen. The leadership screen mostly focused on background. Where you came from, what you did + why. Decisions and projects that were difficult to showcase such. The technical screen was a couple questions and one coding exercise.

I thought I did well on coding question. I wrote the code as problem was stated initially. Then the interviewer added further constraints. Other question was to complete some missing implementations in a C++ class.
    Leadership was all right.

I pinged the recruiter after 3 days. Next day, she informed that their hiring committee has decided not to go ahead with onsite interview.

It looks like they are looking for a perfect solution during phone screening!

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at LinkedIn.

Interview

Two part phone screen, one leadership screen, one technical screen. The leadership screen mostly focused on background. Where you came from, what you did + why. Decisions and projects that were difficult to showcase such. The technical screen was a couple questions and one coding exercise.

Leadership was all right. I later got feedback that I didn't go into detail about certain things but he never asked for them. The recruiter told me he said I was "Reluctant", which is odd because he simply could've asked for the details he thought were missing.

Coding went all right. Stumbled on one question, but got dinged for going through the process of answering the question and having incomplete/buggy answers instead of just immediately giving a most optimal answer. Was trying to follow the MANY guides LinkedIn gave about their interview acumen. Word of advice, unless your interviewer wrote those guides, they mean nothing, since obviously the person I got did NOT agree with the person who wrote some of their guides.

The fact that both called me late, the first dinged me for something he could've asked but perhaps didn't have the time because he called 10-15 minutes late, and the other went against the interviewing guide left a sour taste in my mouth. But ironically, the guides they put up for themselves mention these as unfortunate possibilities. Foresight I guess.

Interview Questions

• Given a text log, parse out any ip addresses.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA (US)) in February 2016.

Interview

Recruiter called, they were very professional.
    Phone screen - 2 questions.
    Onsite - 6 rounds (2 technical coding rounds - one basic question about merging interval, other one about tree)(1 design interview)(1 craftsmanship)(2 general behavioral / technical talk)
    Rejected after 7 days of wait.

Interview Questions

• started with phone screen, it was easy. I did great in all the 6 interviews except one interview where the interviewer asked me to write code about graph / tree. I explained topological sort but she didn't know what Topological sort and Graph Indegree / outdegree were, she had a laptop which she kept typing in, i did excellent in my other interviews but this one she kept pushing me to the solution she had in the laptop which she thought was the most optimal solution.

The company is great but I kinda felt weird where people with 14 years of experience are graded by people with 2 years of experience.

I would recommend increasing the coding round and decreasing the general sessions, this way you can't get rejected by one bad interviewer.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA (US)) in January 2016.

Interview

Very standard interview. I aced the interview question as the interviewers ran out of the questions. Eventually didn't get an offer because the projects I mentioned to one of the loops were too old according to the recruiter. YOU COULD'VE TOLD ME.

Interview Questions

• Standard coding question. DO NOT DISCUSS PROJECTS THAT ARE TOO OLD.   Answer Question

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at LinkedIn.

Interview

Recruiter prep chat before phone screen was very friendly and informative, the chat was useful for preparing to the behavioral phone screen.
    Had two consecutive 1-hour “phone” screen video sessions with very senior engineers - coding and behavioral.
    I was impressed by how engineers (and recruiters) are proud of the company culture, heard similar things from an employee friend.
    I was supposed to come on site but decided to accept an offer at another company, for unrelated reasons, so did not move forward to the on-site stage.

Interview Questions

• Recursively mutate a data structure   1 Answer
    • Behavioral: questions about leadership, “craftsmanship”.   Answer Question

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA (US)) in May 2019.

Interview

Interviews well organized and interviewers well prepared and professional. Different sessions focused on different skills of candidate and therefore kept interviews interesting. Recruiters had good follow-thru. I had competing offers and they arranged schedules to suit me.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.