LinkedIn Data Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

LinkedIn Data Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at LinkedIn

3.2

Data Engineer Interview

Interview

Technical phone screen -
Typical medium level leetcode question and I was able to solve it (It was completely new question for me so I took a minute to understand it). Interviewer asked me to optimize it further which I tried, but he wanted it in a specific way (I guess using DP). I couldn't do it in next 5 mins so we moved on to the next question. Did well in other areas.
Got rejected for the same reason that I couldn't optimize my code.
Why does interviewer expect candidates to write a code in a specific way? What is the end goal here?
Optimize your code as quickly as possible because that is all you are going to do in your job,right? :/
I get it that optimization is important but certainly you need enough time to optimize code using DP, if you haven't heard of problem before or you have to be lucky enough to get the known problem.
My personal opinion - I never felt this is a right way of selecting/rejecting candidates but looks like market is full of hackerrank, leetcoders so get in the race because that is how you will be judged :(

Interview Questions

• Medium level question from leetcode.   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for LinkedIn

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at LinkedIn (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

The first round was an online SQL test for 45 minutes. I cleared it easily.

Second round was telephonic. Asked me questions on my existing projects.

Third round was video conference. Asked me about myself, about past experiences. Then 2 case study related to LinkedIn and an SQL query

Interview Questions

• Case study to determine criteria on how to judge if the news feed content is actually helpful or not   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA (US)) in November 2018.

Interview

Overall the interview process was good. Recruiter approached through LinkedIn. 30 mins brief call with the recruiter followed by 1 hour of telephonic phone screen. Entire day onsite with the team. Onsite interview 7 rounds of interview.

Interview Questions

• Serialize and deserialize binary tree. Further optimize to reduce extra space from the serialized string. Followed up with constructing BST using preOrder array   Answer Question
    • Technical communication on mostly my current experience on Big Data technologies.   Answer Question
    • Casual lunch with the team member   Answer Question
    • Hadoop and Spark related basic questionnaires. Again going through arch diag of the most challenging project   Answer Question
    • Core concepts of Data warehousing. SQL based design question. SCD, star schema, facts, dimensions, etc.   Answer Question
    • Programming question on balanced paranthesis. Find median after merging 2 already sorted arrays.   Answer Question
    • Behavioral and culture fit round with the hosting manager. Again, going through current arch involving Big Data technologies.   Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA (US)) in September 2018.

Interview

Referred by employee and recruiter contacted me after one week. Recruiter asked me to schedule a technical screen right away so I did so. The questions were not difficult but the interviewer has very strong accent. Even though I was able to solve all the questions, the vibe was weird. I had to ask the interviewer repeat multiple questions for multiple times. I just wish the interviewer can be more eloquent. I asked for feedback and never heard back from the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Straight forward SQL questions and Leetcode level of algorithm questions.   Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at LinkedIn in March 2017.

Interview

My initial technical phone screen was scheduled after a brief discussion with the recruiter. By the way, my friend who works there referred me to the position. The interviewer was polite, explained the process and we got right to the technical questions. I wasn't expecting the map reduce question and spent about 35 minutes fiddling with it and getting nowhere. I panicked at this point and screwed up the DS and SQL question too.
    Tips:
    1.Work on all the SQL questions on Leetcode.
    2. Practice few top n map-reduce patterns
    Good luck

Interview Questions

• 1. Get the top 10 IP addresses from 1TB data files having semi-structured data using map reduce.
      2. The intersection of two lists, with the output being in a sorted order.
      3. Third highest salary in each department (SQL)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA (US)) in January 2017.

Interview

Contacted through a recruiter on LinkedIn. She described the company profile in very detail and explained about the available roles and let me chose the one that would fit my skills and interests. After setting up the phone interview, she sent me a detailed mail explaining the interview process, what is expected, what qualities are evaluated, tips to prepare, etc. It was very useful in my preparation.

Phone interview was very professional. After a brief self-introduction, jumped straight into the questions. Interviewer described the questions properly and clarified my doubts promptly. I walked through my thought process before writing code, and once or twice he provided hints to direct me in the correct path. I chose python to solve the coding problems and switched to java for writing hive udf. He provided ample time at the end for me to ask questions and provided proper explanations for my questions.

Overall a very good experience, though I didn't clear the round. The programming questions were straight forward for someone who had practiced well. I believe I should have practiced more.

Interview Questions

• 1. Find if brackets are balanced properly in a given string.   1 Answer
    • 2. Find the sum of contiguous subsequence with maximum sum. (The list contains both positive and negative integers)   1 Answer
    • 3. Implement a hive udf - for the given string return a score based on the sentiment words found. (good: 1; average: 0; bad: -1) Ex. good food, bad service = 1 - 1 = 0   Answer Question
    • 4. How would you improve ETL throughput?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA (US)) in December 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by the recruiter and scheduled a phone screen. After the phone screen I had a full day onsite. The process was smooth and the recruiter, although slow to respond, was very helpful throughout the process. The questions varied between traditional algorithms/data structures and data engineering (data warehousing, SQL).

Interview Questions

• Given a list of employee id and manager id pairs, and given a manager id print/return the manager hierarchy, starting at that manager. For example, given (manager_id, employee_id) as [(1,3), (2,3), (3,4)] and manager_id 4, return {4:[3], 3:[1,2]}. How would you handle the opposite direction, i.e. given an employee_id print the hierarchy of managers.   1 Answer

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at LinkedIn (San Francisco, CA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

an interview with a recruiter and then a phone interview. The experience was awful.
    The interviewer was very rude and when I asked a few questions about the product they were working on he started to get angry. Phone was on speaker and when I was answering the questions a few guys were laughing. I finally asked him are you laughing at me and he said No they are laughing on something else.
    This is not professional.

Interview Questions

• they just asked a coding questions   2 Answers
Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.