LinkedIn Site Reliability Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

LinkedIn Site Reliability Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at LinkedIn

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA (US)) in March 2020.

Interview

Fairly standard interview process for these types of companies. An initial screening, followed by two rounds of phone interviews, and finally an on-site interview. The on-site interview had to be swapped for a virtual interview due to COVID-19.

PROS:
- The coding portions of the interview were all relevant to the job. They were not just toy examples.
- The turnaround time after each interview was extremely quick
- Most people were easy to talk to, which made each interview feel relatively quick
- You set your own pace for the interview rounds. Some of my rounds were over a month apart.
- The recruiters ask for your feedback to them after each round
- The interviews were actually easier than I thought they'd be, except the last round I wasn't given as much guidance on what to study as the first two rounds, so I spent time on useless info.

CONS:
- The interview questions were more like a shotgun blast across a wide range of topics rather than focusing on anything in particular. It went from as low level as how/when shared libraries are loaded when starting an application to as high-level as designing video streaming service.
- Before the final round, you are handed off to a different recruiter
- Based on browsing this site, they seem to use the same questions for each candidate. It makes me feel like they are just a cog in the wheel with no real input to the process. With nothing being tailored to the candidate, it feels like they don't actually care about your strengths and weaknesses outside of their own perceptions.
- The interviewers do not look at your own LinkedIn profile or resume until they are in the process of interviewing you. Therefore their questions against your background are either stock or ad-lib. There is little to suggest most interviewers care about your history or interests.
- They count on their name a little too much to persuade you that its worth taking a hit to your salary and/or quality of living. Especially if you are relocating from a more affordable area. The benefits are not substantially different from my current employer.
- Some disconnect between recruiters and interviewers, which is pretty common. For example, I repeatedly said this would be a change in both domain and roles for me, and I wasn't sure I'd be a good fit, even though I was interested and more than willing to learn. I do have extensive experience other tech domains. I was assured that there would be an extensive training process for the role, and the experience, while important, didn't matter quite as much as the ability and interest to learn the job. The feedback I received after the final interview indicated that experience was in fact one reason I didn't get the job; they wanted someone who could hit the ground running, even though the position was being held open indefinitely and there would be a training period after hire.
- Feedback was almost non-existent after the last interview. Whereas I talked directly with the recruiter after every other round, the last round feedback was left as a voicemail. They did not solicit my feedback.

TIP: Go through the second Google SRE book, the workbook.

Interview Questions

• How do make a variable in a shell script available after the script exits (assume the shell script was sourced)?   Answer Question
  • How do you change the priority of a running process?   1 Answer
  • Coding test: Parse a (syslog) file to get various fields from the logs and message counts. Associate counts with the processes that logged them.   Answer Question
  • Describe how SSH works.   Answer Question
  • Describe how curl works. What happens when you call the command? Describe the process of loading libraries, parsing arguments, DNS resolution, etc.   Answer Question
  • You have Gigabytes of data that needs to periodically be synced from a producer to a large number of consumers. How do you approach it? Hint: the data set isn't necessarily entirely new each time it needs to be synced, so only sync the data that has changed.   Answer Question
  • You take over a new service and discover it has no monitoring. What monitoring would you put in place within the first week to ensure the service is working? Within the first month? How do you monitor failures which are local to a region?   Answer Question
  • You will be asked to role play a scenario where the number of registrations for a service has dropped to 0 for the past 6 or so hours, setting off an alert. You will have to go through an incident response and elevation. You will be asked to write simple reports that are suitable for giving high-level status to a manager.   Answer Question
  • You will be shown several architecture diagrams and asked various questions, like "what happens when database X goes down?", or "How to speed up requests from service Y?". Caching plays a big role in almost all responses.   Answer Question
  • You will be asked to do live troubleshooting of an Apache (httpd) web service. You will not be given many details by the recruiter, so it's easy to study the wrong thing here. It ended up that you need to be familiar with the httpd config file and Aliases. You need to be familiar with how to change Linux filesystem permissions, but you can ignore that you are running on RedHat and you won't need to touch SELinux permissions. Be careful of one problem where they will have two nearly-identical file names, except one has a hypen and the other Unicode dash character. They look very similar in many fonts. Make sure you know how to do a simple GDB backtrace. You will be asked to debug a segfault and work around it (via simple file rename).   Answer Question
  • You will have to perform a code review of several pieces of code. Focus on logic errors, not stylistic issues. I don't remember all the code samples, but one was about doing file backups, where they manually implemented extension parsing and copied over ".1" files to ".2", etc. without ensuring the order of the copy.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for LinkedIn

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn in December 2019.

Interview

First there was a short screen call with the recruiter.

The second phase was a 1 hour coding interview with a number of questions requiring you to write some code. The questions increase in complexity plus I was asked some solution-specific questions. By the end of interview I got to 6th question. In general I had a good experience about it. They use coderpad as a platform. The only thing I would say is a lack of preparation materials compared to other companies (like Facebook or Google). After that the interviewer contacted me next day and scheduled the next interview.

The third interview was a systems-like. There were three questions. As for the previews interview there were not a lot of preparation material. I was given a link to Google's SRE book, but I can't say that it was very useful. Although it helped me to understand what kind of answers they were expecting from me. Another thing is that they do not use anything to write down the questions. It was a pure phone call. So I spent some time trying to figure out the details and what where the questions about. In general that was also a positive experience. The only thing I did not like is that some questions are too vague and you have short time answering it. After the interview there were no follow up from the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• 1. Write a sort of FizzBuzz
      2. Use rest api to get a JSON and traverse it
      3, Parse a log file and process the data
      4. Parse the same file in a more advanced way (regex, grouping, etc.)
      5. The same file but parse it continuously (the file can be rolled-over, etc.)

Side questions: advantages and disadvantages of a recursion, rewrite a recursion in a non-recursive way, etc. (depends on what do you write)   Answer Question
    • 1. Explain in details what is happening when you type curl https://...
      2. Copy a huge set of files over 10000 nodes, keep the files updated, check the consistency
      3. How to organize a monitoring in a n-node cluster running a web application   1 Answer

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA (US)) in August 2019.

Interview

I had an initial phone interview with a recruiter going over the company and position and a small handful of easy technical questions.
    The second interview was also over the phone with one engineer covered some lower-level Linux and monitoring issues and discussion.
    The third interview was on site and there are 3 technical sections 1:1 interview with one lunch. finally, there is a behavior section interview.

Interview Questions

• Asked me general OS theory and DNS theory by the recruiter. the second round was coding with https API call and recursion call questions. the on-site interview included apache server issue debug and handle site accident issue and site scale architecture questions.   Answer Question

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Interview

First phone "interview" with recruiter was behavioral, and then the recruiter let me know what would come next (in detail). Did one in-person Python scripting interview, followed by 2 phone technical interviews about SRE concepts.

Interview Questions

• Write a Python script to do some analysis of some debug logs   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA (US)) in March 2019.

Interview

Two phone screenings and one one site. First phone screening is coding. The quiz was easy and I used Python. The second phone screening was a system design. The onsite include 5 parts: system design, code review, service management, troubleshooting and resume review.

The people were nice and ok. The only issue is I didn't get follow up after onsite. This made me feel not very good.

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at LinkedIn (New York, NY (US)) in March 2019.

Interview

Contacted me about the job, only to tell me they would not consider interviewing me, despite qualifications, because I didn't have a bachelor's degree or 12 years of experience (not even a senior position). When I asked whether that was a strict requirement, they said the H-1B requirements won't let them hire people without a degree, even though I'm a US citizen. Thoroughly negative experience and the recruiters answers were not helpful or informative. If true, this needs to be more discussed.

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (San Francisco, CA (US)) in March 2019.

Interview

Interview Scheduling:

Recruiter reached out via LinkedIn. We exchanged a couple of emails. Cleared first basic mcq phone call round. I provided my availability for phone screen. Recruiter did not respond for a couple of days and after that the recruiter said she could not “locate” my email. That was the first red flag. The recruiter did not took my seriously it seems then why reach out in the first place. Weird!

Interview Overview:

I wrote optimal code for all the problems. After the interview, recruiter called me and told me the feedback saying that I was not supposed to write optimal code and they were expecting simple naive solution. This is the funniest thing I’ve ever heard in my life. I have never seen interviewer asking for naive solution over optimized solution.

Overall Experience:

For each problem, I explained naive solution and then wrote optimal solution. The interviewer seemed very in-experienced and naive. I observed that the interviewer kept doing mute/unmute and was not communicative. I somehow feel he was not interested in understanding what I was explaining to him. At every step, I explained the interviewer why I was doing that. My goal was to write optimized and scalable solution (which I did) and not simple unoptimized solution. I made that clear in every problem while discussing my thought process. Don’t waste your time interviewing for SRE role at LinkedIn. Not worth it!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA (US)) in March 2019.

Interview

Recruiter phone call with simple technical questions, then two technical phone screens with current SREs, then an onsite stage with 4 technical modules, 1 soft skill module and lunch. Decision took about 2 weeks after last interview. Final round with manager, more soft skills and some technical descriptions of the job. Contact with the company was great through all of the interview process. Then things unfortunately fell apart. It seems like they have a whole process that they have zero confidence in and at the end of the day everything is still just one guy who either likes you or he doesn't. Huge waste of time.

Interview Questions

• Recruiters will give you a really good idea of what you will encounter along the way. Ask them to elaborate on areas you aren't clear on and take notes. Take your time studying. Talk to your interviewers they will help you smooth out the rougher patches.   Answer Question

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at LinkedIn in February 2019.

Interview

My interview process started with a recruiter call who asked a few easy technical q&a at the end of the call (linux commands like ls, kill, TCP/IP protocol, etc). I got an invite to a coding phone screen with SRE team.

Interview Questions

• Coding phone round had same old questions mentioned in the reviews by others. I thought I did well, but unfortunately I haven't made it to next round.

1. Fizz Buzz
      2. recursive requests to Directory API (url)
      3. Parsing var/log/ file to identify a particular date pattern and count the number of messages logged in that time frame.   1 Answer

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (San Jose, CA (US)) in February 2019.

Interview

Got the email from the HR for initial HR round . Unexpectedly the HR asked me some technical questions on linux commands and Data structure . At the end of the phone call ,He replied me that ,he is going to schedule the second round of telephonic interview . The second round is technical phone round (1 hour) and need to code on coder pad . The interviewer asked me two questions . First one is very straight forward and the second one on recursion . After the interview did not get any reply more than 2 week . Then sent email to HR regarding the feed back . Looks like they completely forget. HR called me directly and said that they are not proceeding further with me .

Interview Questions

• Basic questions on recursion and division.   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.