LinkedIn Web Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

LinkedIn Web Developer Interview Questions

3.2

27 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Contacted via recruiter.
Had a phone screen with HR, and then a phone screen with a Senior Developer.
Then had an online code interview via CollabEdit (IF you're interviewing, I strongly recommend becoming familiar with CollabEdit before this step. It's... an interesting tool).
Flew out there for an onsite. Everyone was very welcoming. Everyone new be my name and they greeted me with some welcoming swag.

Flew back home and received a call two business days later with an offer.

You need to be very comfortable with your HTML, CSS, and JavaScript during the on-site. If not, I'm sure this would be very difficult. Lots of whiteboarding.

Interview Questions

• While writing the markup for a page on a whiteboard, I was asked why I didn't use <DL> tags instead of what I had written.   Answer Question
  • Reverse a String in JavaScript. Show us multiple ways to do it. - Whiteboard   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for LinkedIn

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (San Francisco, CA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

A recruiter responded to my initial application and lined up a introductory phone conversation.

We talked briefly about my experience and interest in LinkedIn.

The following week I did a phone interview with two Web Developers which covered some basics of my experience and skill-set.

The next week then did two 45 minute coding sessions covering Javascript, HTML, and CSS.

Ultimately I had to end the process as I was offered a position at another company before I could do an in person interview which LinkedIn stressed was a requirement for the job. They had previously expressed that I should contact them if my timeline changed. I did, but they were unable to accommodate my timeline.

Interview Questions

• Program a function which determines if one document node contains another node.   1 Answer
    • Build out the basic HTML and CSS required to build a "People You May Know" widget based on a screenshot.   1 Answer

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at LinkedIn (San Jose, CA (US)) in December 2014.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn InMail. Then after 2 week had my introductory round. After 2 week again had same introductory round from the same recruiter. then he scheduled Technical phone interview. It went good. Interviewer was asking increasing question difficulty gradually. Then they scheduled 2 Code interview of 45-45 min on collabedit. Unfortunately half an hour before my coding interview i receive email that position has been filled.!

Interview Questions

• Difference between JQuery getelement by id vs Javascript.   1 Answer
    • How DOM access its elements   Answer Question
    • Difference between Margin, Box, Padding   Answer Question
    • HTML5 vs HTML4, Basics of DOM and its working, Alternative of JQuery, javascript implementation of ajax etc.   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at LinkedIn in February 2015.

Interview

Similar to other people. Contacted me on LinkedIn for phone interview. Got it done quickly because i was expecting other offers soon. Scheduled back to back 45 min code interviews using colabedit. Felt really rushed. People left in the middle of my interview to catch a bus!

Interview Questions

• Make a form, submit it, ajax submit it, add place holder, stop submit from bubbling, make a block grid which on hover each block is an opaque thumbnail and the rest translucent using only CSS, oh and make the block your hovering over appear in a large area overhead.   1 Answer

Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn in September 2015.

Interview

1. Call from the recruiter. Mainly just about my past jobs. (20 min)
    2. Technical call by a senior web developer. Technical questions about HTML, CSS and JavaScript. (30 min)
        Mainly I was asked about positioning html with css, accesibility and frameworks that I use.
    3. Technical call with collabedit by two Sr. Web developers . Technical questions about HTML and CSS. (45 min)
        They showed me an image and asked me to type the structure for the HTML, and then apply the CSS rules.
    4. Technical call with collabedit by a Sr. Web developer and a Web developer (45 min)
        They showed me some code and asked me to describe what was happening there and why.
        Knowing how value vs reference type and how context works is needed to answer this correctly.
        I was asked to code the isPalindrome() function and another problem that uses your previously coded isPalindrome function that the interviewer had difficulties trying to explain to me. At the end, I got the idea and explained what I would do because the time was almost over.
    5. In site interview in Mountan View, CA (I didn't make it to this interview)

The third and fourth interviews where done the same day consecutively. I didn't make it to the 5th interview because my HTML and CSS were not good enough. Basically, I feel the reason why they didn't like it is because I didn't use the elements correctly. Semantic elements are very important to them. Learning experience for me and loss for them. I still think that I would have been perfect for the job.

My JavaScript interview went great.

The recruiter called me to tell me the bad news. He explicitly said I didn't make it because of the third interview. I appreciate the fact that he called me instead of sending me an email.

Overall, it was a great interview process.

Interview Questions

• What are the differences between AngularJS and Backbone.js? Which one do you prefer and why?   Answer Question
    • Code the isPalindrome() function in JavaScript.   1 Answer
    • How would you code the addClass() method (like jQuery)?   1 Answer

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA (US)) in August 2015.

Interview

There were four steps; the first was an informal phone interview with the recruiter. The second was a phone conversation with two of LinkedIn's developers. The third was an online collaboration effort where the interviewer asked me a few code-related questions and I had to solve it in real-time as they watched me code. The fourth interview they flew me out to their offices in California where I did a full-day interview. This consisted of code questions where I had to solve the problems on a white board. We took a break for lunch and then finished with an interview with one of their managers.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at LinkedIn (San Francisco, CA (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

I interviewed with the hiring manager and a teammate over the phone for several months while we waited for budgets to be finalized. Then I was called into San Francisco for a full day of appx 5 interviews. Each interview was friendly and focused mostly on values and culture fit. I received an offer within a week of the onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to leave your current company.   1 Answer

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (San Jose, CA (US)).

Interview

The first interview was a phone screen with the technical recruiter. It was mostly an opportunity to hear about the state of LinkedIn and see if it's a good fit for you. The recruiter asked me about my current skills and roles.

The second phone call was with a two session, 45 minutes each, phone code challenge using collabedit. The questions were both frontend questions about markup, css and javascript. If you know these three intimately, you'll be okay.

The developers I talked with were really great and were really interested in talking through the process with you, so don't get carried away just typing, talk through your process.

The last interview was an onsite.

The recruiter met me at the lobby and walked with me to the interview room and explained to me how the interview process was going to go. They give you an itinerary with everyone's name on it, which is really nice to offload one more thing you have to stress about through the day. We had a great conversation about what the recruiter liked about LinkedIn, about where I currently work and just life in general until my first technical interview.

Each technical interview (of which there were 7 questions), was about an hour, and a mix of culture/skills questions and whiteboard questions. These questions ranged from moderate to difficult, and they all require you to think through the process of solving the problem.

You really need to know html and css with 100% certainty, and you need to know your javascript well. There were two CSS challenges and 5 javascript challenges, almost all of them involved also writing the markup to correlate with them.

Overall, this has been the best interview experience I've ever had, and I've had some really great interview experiences. LinkedIn seems like the kind of place anyone with a passion for development/engineering would love to be.

Interview Questions

• What features do you see LinkedIn finding valuable?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA (US)) in May 2013.

Interview

3 rounds of technical screening via telephone, followed by a collaboration session online, followed by an onsite interview.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Mountain View, CA (US)) in July 2013.

Interview

Two Technical Phone Screens and a full day on site. Probably the easiest interview I have ever encountered, and that is probably because I was very well versed in the technologies that they used, understood all of the pitfalls of being a full stack developer, and everybody was very friendly.

Interview Questions

• How do you estimate "value" to the work that you do and how does that help the company you work for and for you and your career goals?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I should have been a bit more aggressive...

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.