Seagate Technology Firmware Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Seagate Technology Firmware Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Seagate Technology

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Seagate Technology (Longmont, CO (US)) in August 2012.

Interview

After graduating with an Electrical Engineering degree, I found it very difficult to even be acknowledged by a company. At Seagate however, I almost immediately received an interview request after submitting my resume via their online application process. My interview was scheduled at 9am, and when I showed up, they put me in a small meeting room. A specific group within the Firmware Engineers (Optimization) was interested in expanding, so I met with each of the senior firmware engineers that were in the group. Each person took about 20 minutes & asked relatively simple questions.

The last person to come in was the manager of the group, and he spent about an hour talking to me about my background, and then he asked me to solve C code problems that he wrote on the blackboard.

Interview Questions

• How could the following be refactored to reduce the amount of memory used by this C code?

int nFirstOne =1, nSecondOne=2;
    int nTemp = nFirstOne;
    nFirstOne = nSecondOne;
    nSecondOne = nTemp;   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Seagate Technology

Anonymous Employee in Shakopee, MN (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Seagate Technology (Shakopee, MN (US)) in May 2009.

Interview

The interview process is very typical. Phone interview followed by on site interview. The only thing unexpected would be the C written test. There will be a bunch of questions on macros, function calls, static/volatile variables etc. Prepare well for this . And be ready to talk about anything on your resume related to embedded systems. You will be asked to explain that on a whiteboard , several times to several engineers.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I joined as a fresh grad. So no negotiation . But Salary offered matched my expectation. This combined with the fact that MN is an inexpensive place to live made it easier for me to take a decision.

Anonymous Employee in Shakopee, MN (US)

Application

I interviewed at Seagate Technology (Shakopee, MN (US)) in November 2011.

Interview

The hiring process was relatively smooth and painless. I found a req, got an email from the hiring manager within a week, and then we had a 30 minute phone interview. From there, he arranged an onsite interview. The onsite interview was a bit more tedious. I interviewed with the Director, 3 Managers, HR Staff, 2 recent grads and 2 of their top engineers. I also had to take a written hour long test (I felt like I was in college). Overall, the questions were geared to find out who I was and what I was doing at my previous company. The tough questions came towards the end that kinda put me out of my comfort zone. I really liked the people I've interviewed with and I asked a lot of questions. From there, about a week and a half of back and forth of emails with the HR, I found out that they were going to extend an offer. Oh, and they don't base their reasoning for hire just on technical expertise, it's only a 1/5th of their overall selection process.

Interview Questions

• Hardest part of the interview was the impromptu technical questions. Not necessarily hard but kinda puts you out of your comfort zone. I haven't done any Firmware development for Hard Drive/ SSD components so everything was *new* to me. Overall, I did "OK".   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was their final offer, no room to wiggle. Only advice I can give out is if you like your current work place, possibly use it as leverage to get a bit more pay, otherwise ... it is what it is.

Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Worcester, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Seagate Technology (Worcester, MA (US)) in July 2014.

Interview

Took about 3-4 hours, with 6 different people. Relax and don't be nervous. All were nice and good people. Lots of tech questions and not too much behavioral. Should be able to explain your past experience or previous work in detail.

Interview Questions

• Know your stuff, they will ask tech questions. Just basic engineering stuff, logic gates, algorithms for C programming, data structures and hexadecimals and binary. These are prob most important to know.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Seagate Technology (Longmont, CO (US)).

Interview

I was called to arrange a time for a phone interview.
    The interviewer called and asked questions to verify some of the experience noted on my resume and to generally get an idea of how knowledgeable I was.
    I was later called to bring me in for an on-site interview.
    That interview consisted of two different panels of engineers asking technical questions, and an interview with the hiring manager to make sure I was someone he would want to work with.

Interview Questions

• What is the worst thing the firmware can do to reduce performance on a hard drive?   1 Answer

Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Seagate Technology (Minneapolis, MN (US)) in February 2017.

Interview

A 30 minute phone interview that was very calm and positive. The interviewer was a very nice person. First got a call from HR for scheduling the phone screen. He was understanding of my time constraints. Got back the result in a week.

Interview Questions

• Questions about projects stated in resume and some behavioral questions. The questions revolved around the projects done and basic questions on topics related to them. Also some basic C questions were asked.   Answer Question

Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Seagate Technology (Colorado Springs, CO (US)) in May 2017.

Interview

I got a call from HR department. She was nice before my interview. She asked me basic questions such as strength, weakness, why Seagate and why this position. After that, She asked me about visa sponsorship and I said yes. Then after she finished my interview and told me I will inform you about next steps. But I never heard from her.

Anonymous Employee in Shakopee, MN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Seagate Technology (Shakopee, MN (US)) in April 2018.

Interview

Got a call from a recruiter for basic phone screening followed by call interview with Sr. Manager. He asked me some basic questions like Arrays over Linked Lists and advantages of Binary trees, basic OS questions like process scheduling and priority inversion and some other non-technical stuff. A week and a half later had an onsite interview with Senior Managers and Directors. Very nice people. Pretty laid back. They just want to know you and expect honest answers. 2 rounds technical followed by lunch followed by 2 behavioural rounds with the directors and senior managers. All technical stuff was from basic OS, debugging and comp arch. The last thing was a C test. Relatively simple for anyone straight out of college. The test contained questions on ISR, storage classes, function pointers, arrays, structs and unions, preprocessor directives and basic bit manipulation.

Overall I think technical forms only about 1/4 of their selection process!

Interview Questions

• Traversing a binary tree and another unexpected technical question based on a project on my resume which I failed to answer.   Answer Question

Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shakopee, MN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Seagate Technology (Shakopee, MN (US)) in January 2019.

Interview

Received a call from an HR person who asked few basic questions regarding firmware experience, salary expectations, and location. After a week or so, the hiring manager gave a call. It was a 30 min technical call of basic OS questions. A week later I was invited to their Shakopee, MN facility for an on-site interview. It was long and tiring. I went in at 10 am and got out around 5 pm. The location is awful. Had to wait 45 mins for a cab! After answering almost all technical questions correctly, with 14 people interviewing me, they still sent a reject and wouldn't explain why. What a waste of time. However, I got job offers from Qualcomm and Intel the next month so I guess I'm glad they sent me a reject ;)

Interview Questions

• They give a C test and lots of OS, Algorithm and Comp Arch questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Seagate Technology (Longmont, CO (US)) in March 2013.

Interview

One three hour interview, met with the hiring manager, a group of managers and engineers. The first focused on why culture and why I wanted to work there. The group of managers asked about team dynamics and how you would work in a team environment. The engineers asked technical questions on basic C programming that included data structures and problem solving.

Interview Questions

• Why would you use a singly linked list over a doubly linked list?   1 Answer
    • If I wanted all my variables to be contiguous in memory what data structure would I use in C?   2 Answers
    • Describe a C pragma directive.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.