Dell Technologies Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Dell Technologies Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Dell Technologies

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Round Rock, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dell Technologies (Round Rock, TX (US)) in September 2008.

Interview

I received a call for a phone screen 3-days after posting to a position. The manager did a skills interview and a review of the position. A week later a group interview was scheduled. First couple of interviewers were standard, with no goofy questions. The third interviewer was from another department that had absolutely no involvement with the group I was interviewing for, and he had no questions for me. I questioned him about his position and how this group would help his group, but he had no feedback. We spoke about the company culture and wrapped up the whole thing in 10 minutes. The third person would have been a peer. His stated concern was that this position was created to eliminate other positions in the department.

Interview Questions

• So you are here to eliminate our jobs?   1 Answer
  • I don't work with these guys and have no idea what I am doing in this interview, so I don't have any questions for you.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Dell Technologies

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The interviewer is very patient and nice to introduce the daily routine and responsibility for this position and go through the resume and ask for some technologies employed in the process.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe the difference between machine learning and deep learning?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Interview

Recruiter contacted me asking me for my available times and did not respond at all.

Then a developer emailed me a week later asking for my availability for a technical screen, and proceeded to call me 40 minutes later than our scheduled time. Didn't even get a response from him.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dell Technologies in June 2019.

Interview

I got an employee referral for a new-graduate Software Engineering role that had just opened up (this position was not through campus-recruiting ). A couple days after I applied, an HR Recruiter called me to set up a phone interview later that week with an Engineering Hiring Manager. The phone interview was easy and consisted of Dell/behavioral/project-based questions. After passing the phone interview, I was asked to come on-site. I choose to set up my onsite interview exactly a week from my phone interview. The onsite interview consisted of three 30-minute interviews. The first one was with an Engineering Manager, the second with a Senior Architect, and the third was with a Software Engineer. At the end of the three interviews, the Hiring Manager who spoke to me on the phone scheduled a 15 minute meeting with me. She told me she was ready to offer me the position on the spot. After accepting, I met with my HR Recruiter for 15 minutes going over the details and official paperwork.

Interview Questions

• Do you understand what the job you applied for is asking of you? Do you understand the specific Dell Product/Division on the job description? Explain.   Answer Question
    • What ideas can you bring to Dell to make Dell a better company?   Answer Question
    • In-depth project-based questions - Explain all the technologies you used in project [x] and how they work, tell me about a passion project, etc.).   Answer Question
    • Group project questions - Tell me about a difficult group project, etc.   Answer Question
    • In-depth Java Questions: Explain Inheritance, Polymorphism, keyword Static, Instantiating Objects, Arraylists, LinkedLists, REST, API Calling, etc.   1 Answer
    • Find the first non-repeating character in a string.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Was flown in for college interviews along with 50 or so other people. First we were taken out on the town and treated to dinner. We spent the night on the Hyatt by the river, which was nice.

On the day of the interview, we first talked to the HR recruiter, then we were interviewed in a large room where there were many hiring managers present. What happened next was very similar to speed dating.

Each interviewee had an assigned seat, where they were interviewed by their assigned potential manager to be. Every 30 minutes, the managers would all rotate seats (musical chairs style) and talk to their next potential candidate.

Each manager had hiring authority, so if one guy liked you, you were in. I had 3 interviews that day, so in theory could have gotten 3 separate offers.

Interview Questions

• The manager that hired me just wanted to know what I like to do on the weekends b/c my resume already showed that I had technical knowledge. Other managers asked me to tell them everything I knew about BIOS programming, which was zero.   2 Answers

Negotiation

I got an offer that was higher than I expected, so I took it!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dell Technologies (Austin, TX (US)) in August 2012.

Interview

one phone interview asking all the details on the resume.
    get response inviting for onsite in one week.

On site interview:
    interviewed with five engineers. All technical questions. not so difficult.

compensation not competitive

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dell Technologies (Minneapolis, MN (US)) in October 2011.

Interview

I was interviewed by an older hiring manager. The only thing resembling a technical interview was him asking me to rate myself on various programming languages. He then spent the rest of the time talking about how he was overbooked for the day and that he had lunch in my hometown once.

Interview Questions

• Rate yourself from 1-10 on <insert programming language>?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dell Technologies (Austin, TX (US)) in January 2011.

Interview

Was asked about previous work experience, about the details of the previous projects. Then was asked some general questions about object-oriented design and principles. Also, had several questions about algorithms and data structures, was asked about implementation of various trees. Then was asked about software development lifecycle.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dell Technologies (Austin, TX (US)).

Interview

1st round: I was contacted by a manager of one of their software dev teams to do phone screening which took about 30 mins. The manager spent 15 mins talking about the project that her group was working on, then she asked about my background. Very class HR questions. Got scheduled for a technical phone screen.

2nd round: The technical phone screen was pretty easy, basic data structure such as Stack, Queue, Graph (no coding, only discussed the use and time complexity). One question involving threads in Java which caught me off guard, but the interviewer gave me hint.

Never heard back from them after the 2nd round, they might move on with other candidates. I feel a little bit disappointed since they did not even bother replying my follow-up email to ask for the status.

Interview Questions

• Suppose you are writing a test script to test a function running in a process over night. How do you make sure that if the process is halted, your test function will be able to detect that.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I was asked for technical interviews with two different groups, no HR part involved so far. Applied through university. Interview invitation sent by email. We got a free dinner (dell networking event) the night before interview day.

Interview Questions

• Basic data structure, string manipulation, pointers. Since I learned about these during freshmen year, I pretty much forgot most of these when I was interviewed. I didn't review because I thought first round should be HR, but I was wrong...   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.